The Dixie Chicks change their name to The Chicks, drop new song "March March"

21 hours ago, Cedar Lane said:

Idk how i feel about this. Technically the word Dixie existed prior to the Civil War but did technically point to a south that supported and enforced slavery. I mean being from the south, I never took the word Dixie to mean anything but just southern (hence coming from the term below Mason-Dixon Line). 

It just sort of feels like someone is trying to be offended by everything by bringing up anything possible. I mean, the confederate flag and the statues, I get completely. But a word in reference to the south? IDK, feels very extreme. 

Whatever, I love the trio anyways. Whatever they call themselves, I will listen. Listen to Home aka one of the best country albums we've ever had. 

The North enforced slavery as well.  Please learn more about Southern history.  It us unfair that a certain portion of the population is constantly scrutinized because of mis-characterized history. 

1 hour ago, jordeezy said:

The North enforced slavery as well.  Please learn more about Southern history.  It us unfair that a certain portion of the population is constantly scrutinized because of mis-characterized history. 

First of all, I know my Southern history quite well (From Mississippi thank you) and I never stated that North was without its crimes. Second of all, I completely agree with you that most people don't know those state's transgressions against their southern neighbors that date back before the Revolutionary War.  But don't get it twisted, that Mason-Dixon line was the focal point in the Missouri Compromise centering around slavery. The confederate states fought for the state's rights to own slaves.

Now I could mention, that New York had one of it's deadliest riots because it didn't agree with Abraham Lincoln and New Yorkers lynched people from the black community during that time. I could also mention that the union army didn't consider black southerners free UNTIL the emancipation proclamation (about 3 years INTO the war). I could also point out, that a majority of the police brutality demonstrations in the last 10 years seemingly spur out of northern and western states. As a southerner, I find it so frustrating to get blamed for everything while no one wants to check themselves or their history.  As I have gone on to live in New York and California, its become so clear to me how most people hold prejudices against where I come from on varying levels. We are unjustly, in more ways that one, everyone's punching bag. However none of that changes the fact, that the word Dixie (albeit my ignorance growing up) has connotations of a place whose economy was dependent upon slavery. 

In conclusion, I do find it extreme that The Chicks and Lady A would rebrand. I find it a lost opportunity to change the meaning of the words they shy away from. Either way, be sure to stream Gaslighter when I releases cause The Chicks are amazing.

9 minutes ago, Cedar Lane said:

First of all, I know my Southern history quite well (From Mississippi thank you) and I never stated that North was without its crimes. Second of all, I completely agree with you that most people don't know those state's transgressions against their southern neighbors that date back before the Revolutionary War.  But don't get it twisted, that Mason-Dixon line was the focal point in the Missouri Compromise centering around slavery. The confederate states fought for the state's rights to own slaves.

Now I could mention, that New York had one of it's deadliest riots because it didn't agree with Abraham Lincoln and New Yorkers lynched people from the black community during that time. I could also mention that the union army didn't consider black southerners free UNTIL the emancipation proclamation (about 3 years INTO the war). I could also point out, that a majority of the police brutality demonstrations in the last 10 years seemingly spur out of northern and western states. As a southerner, I find it so frustrating to get blamed for everything while no one wants to check themselves or their history.  As I have gone on to live in New York and California, its become so clear to me how most people hold prejudices against where I come from on varying levels. We are unjustly, in more ways that one, everyone's punching bag. However none of that changes the fact, that the word Dixie (albeit my ignorance growing up) has connotations of a place whose economy was dependent upon slavery. 

In conclusion, I do find it extreme that The Chicks and Lady A would rebrand. I find it a lost opportunity to change the meaning of the words they shy away from. Either way, be sure to stream Gaslighter when I releases cause The Chicks are amazing.

Yes, I agree.  I just get so upset because I feel the South's history is constantly used as the North and the West's deflection point to avoid their modern racism issues.  I am from a VERY diverse town in the South - some of our judges are black, some cops are black, some of my teachers were black, I went to a multi-racial church - I feel like my personal experience is just so different than what everyone is discussing and I just find myself as feeling like an outsider.  I think the South has had these conversations and the rest of the country needs to catch up. 

Hm, I didn’t realize that Dixie was a racist word. I thought it was a cute word. I’m still not really sure of it’s meaning, I’ll have to do some research. 

but hey, good for them, they should what they want and what they feel is right. I’ve been a fan since their amazing album, Home, right before all that craziness with Bush and crazy conservatives. I love this new song March, I watched the video and got chills. Seriously one of their best songs yet. Love Gaslighter too. I can’t really get into Julianna Calm Down though. 

43 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

Yes, I agree.  I just get so upset because I feel the South's history is constantly used as the North and the West's deflection point to avoid their modern racism issues.  I am from a VERY diverse town in the South - some of our judges are black, some cops are black, some of my teachers were black, I went to a multi-racial church - I feel like my personal experience is just so different than what everyone is discussing and I just find myself as feeling like an outsider.  I think the South has had these conversations and the rest of the country needs to catch up. 

Absolutely. They all seem to know our history but conveniently are quiet on their own. My town is majority black and I grew up near an Iranian immigrant community to the point were I knew a little Farsi. People are constantly amazed if I bring that up.  Or if I bring up how much modern music was shaped by SOUTHERN black artists. Alas, all they know, is that the courts had to segregate our schools but always forget to mention that the Northern states fought to not have bussing to integrate THEIR schools. Or how the term "white Flight" actually originated in Chicago and Detroit. Now, I know the South has issues (education, health, hard right wing politics) but it seems that to everyone else, it's what we deserve. We're stereotyped in film and tv for being dumb. We're made fun of our teeth. In New York, i was told that for getting promoted, I had to loose my accent because everyone unconsciously believes we're idiots. It's all classist if you ask me. Want to judge us but not admit that Seattle and Portland are among the most segregated cities in the U.S. 

Lol also because our history is drilled into us from all sides, the idea of cops being unfair towards a specific group is not new information. We're quite transparent in our effed up relationship to race.  We, just like EVERYBODY ELSE, need to spend resources towards education, health, and infrastructure towards all communities. 

3 minutes ago, Cedar Lane said:

Absolutely. They all seem to know our history but conveniently are quiet on their own. My town is majority black and I grew up near an Iranian immigrant community to the point were I knew a little Farsi. People are constantly amazed if I bring that up.  Or if I bring up how much modern music was shaped by SOUTHERN black artists. Alas, all they know, is that the courts had to segregate our schools but always forget to mention that the Northern states fought to not have bussing to integrate THEIR schools. Or how the term "white Flight" actually originated in Chicago and Detroit. Now, I know the South has issues (education, health, hard right wing politics) but it seems that to everyone else, it's what we deserve. We're stereotyped in film and tv for being dumb. We're made fun of our teeth. In New York, i was told that for getting promoted, I had to loose my accent because everyone unconsciously believes we're idiots. It's all classist if you ask me. Want to judge us but not admit that Seattle and Portland are among the most segregated cities in the U.S. 

Lol also because our history is drilled into us from all sides, the idea of cops being unfair towards a specific group is not new information. We're quite transparent in our effed up relationship to race.  We, just like EVERYBODY ELSE, need to spend resources towards education, health, and infrastructure towards all communities. 

I live in the West now and I was never self-conscious about my accent until I moved here and spoke in a meeting at my organization - their response was very demeaning.  I can now see why Britney speaks like a robot in interviews as she tries not to sound Southern.  In college, our professors made us listen to an accent "deprogrammer" called The Accent from Nowhere.  I never lost my accent.  Lol

Just now, jordeezy said:

I live in the West now and I was never self-conscious about my accent until I moved here and spoke in a meeting at my organization - their response was very demeaning.  I can now see why Britney speaks like a robot in interviews as she tries not to sound Southern.  In college, our professors made us listen to an accent "deprogrammer" called The Accent from Nowhere.  I never lost my accent.  Lol

I live in Cali now and it's the same thing. None of them btw think they have accent which is hilarious. But yes, everyone is just conditioned to view our accents in a certain way. We don't receive the best representation in film and tv. Either racist or dumb white saviors surrounded by racists. I remember when people did impersonations of Britney, all they did was an accent. I remember being so offended and hurt by it.  I got the same "deprogrammer" thing in college and they never emotionally understood how loosing accent is akin to loosing a home.  Mine faded to a point where my parents didn't recognizing my voice. I was devastated. It came back little by little, but it makes me so frustrated how no one else in this country will own up to their classist attitudes. 

2 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

Random side note - my "beginner guitar" professor in college was Natalie's guitar player in a band before she got famous in The Dixie Chicks. He was a very nice guy and he said Natalie was very "outspoken".  :surething:

I completely believe that. I remember listening to Lubbock or Leave It and how she phrased her childhood. Either way, I love them. They represent the parts of country music that I adore. (not the songs on the charts at the moment cause they're mostly basic and bring a bad rep to the genre as a whole)

3 minutes ago, Cedar Lane said:

I completely believe that. I remember listening to Lubbock or Leave It and how she phrased her childhood. Either way, I love them. They represent the parts of country music that I adore. (not the songs on the charts at the moment cause they're mostly basic and bring a bad rep to the genre as a whole)

I feel hurt by them for some reason - I feel like them changing their name verifies to people that being Southern is wrong by default.  IDK.  I stood up for them through all the Bush stuff but this name change cuts deep as it signifies that Southern existence is inherently bad. 

2 minutes ago, jordeezy said:

I feel hurt by them for some reason - I feel like them changing their name verifies to people that being Southern is wrong by default.  IDK.  I stood up for them through all the Bush stuff but this name change cuts deep as it signifies that Southern existence is inherently bad. 

I agree. I think you phrased what's been irking me clearly. I would rather them add positive definitions to the word Dixie. Or at least rebrand as the Southern Chicks. Yeah... I don't know. I think you hit the nail on the head on that one. 

1 minute ago, Cedar Lane said:

I agree. I think you phrased what's been irking me clearly. I would rather them add positive definitions to the word Dixie. Or at least rebrand as the Southern Chicks. Yeah... I don't know. I think you hit the nail on the head on that one. 

Oh well - we have plenty of better musicians representing the South but it's too bad that DCX didn't keep the name and spearhead a conversation instead of bowing out and caving in.  I mean, I understand some people were disloyal to them and maybe there is still friction there.  IDK.  I do not feel a connection with modern mainstream country music either.  Oh well. Life goes on. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block