A drag queen has basically said she was asked to do something revolting

Spicechinodiva

Drag queen Shea Couleé was asked By T-Rex to perform the iconic 2001 Britney spears hit "I'm a slave 4 U" dressed as a slave for white queens during Black history month.

This has got me thinking that I have a funny feeling a song title change might happen given how the title would be considered poor taste in 2020.

So do you think RCA Records and Britney Spears should retitle the song to a more appropriate context today?

@Jordan Miller

@Roxxy

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for writing this post. I watched the town hall where this truth was told and I am floored.

I love Shea so much and my heart breaks that she considered T-Rex a friend and she betrayed her so badly. And that she had to nearly beg for an apology? Despicable!!

T-Rex has been rightfully fired since Saturday's town hall from multiple establishments she hosted at.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2020/06/22/t-rex-leader-in-chicago-drag-scene-dropped-by-roscoes-and-berlin-amid-allegations-of-racism/

Wow...I can’t at the insensitivity. Especially in our own community. :umwtf: UGH WHYYYY

Anyway, the song is not about being a slave due to race but rather due to dance. Same as an addiction, work or love. Also, yes blacks were enslaved by whites but lets not forget fallen empires were enslaved by new rulers. Its not what you say but how you say it or the meaning behind it. I feel like censorship is leading our “awakening” or “movement” from the actual problems in society. 

Dressed as a slave? During Black History Month? What are people thinking...

I think with recent times, people have taking words into literal translations - that's not necessarily a good thing. If a rewrite of the song were to happen, I'd be interested to see what Britney Spears can come off (I Will Dance 4 U, I'm A Slay 4 U?)

Archived