"Mexican Madonna" Gloria Trevi Appreciation Thread

I’ve never done one of these before but seeing some others, I felt compelled to create a tribute thread to one of MY first idols and favorite latin artists, Gloria Trevi!

Gloria-Trevi-june-2016-billboard-1548-768x433.jpg.d3a400ec770880db37aa96b967d93bf8.jpg

Gloria Trevi has long been known as the “Mexican Madonna” primarily for her controversial image, career and life. Gloria’s story is EXTREMELY fascinating and continues to be very controversial. 

In 1985 at the age of 17, she started out in a small girl group named Boquitas Pintadas (Painted Lips). With little success, the group broke up after only 3 years at which point she caught the eye of Mexican producer, Sergio Andrade. You could equate Sergio Andrade to Lou Pearlman, the mastermind behind the boy band craze in the late 90’s. Like Lou Peralman, Sergio Andrade ran a “talent factory” where he would take in young kids with the promise of turning them into big stars. Gloria Trevi was one of his “students” and arguably one the most talented. There were often rumors that Sergio would have inappropriate relationships with the girls he worked with, including Gloria, but despite the toxic environment, Gloria and Sergio made magic in the studio and in 1989, they released Gloria’s first solo album which spawned her first #1 Latin American hit, Dr. Psiquiatra (Dr. Psychiatrist). She went on to release 5 more studio albums through 1995 selling over 5 million albums in Latin America.

While she was a talented singer/songwriter, she was best known for her provocative and controversial image and performances. Even with a strong following, to the general public she was seen as tacky and vulgar. Many today would argue that she was way ahead of her time and people of that generation just couldn’t handle her.

screen-shot-2015-02-15-at-10-29-51-am-60

Turmoil and Arrest

In the late 90’s, several girls from the Sergio Andrade “factory” accused Sergio Andrade of ****** abuse and molestation and included Gloria as an accomplice in their complaint. Gloria, Sergio and other girls, still a part of the Gloria Trevi entourage, fled to Brazil following the accusations. Gloria always claimed she fled with Sergio in an effort to protect him as she was romantically involved with him at the time. While on the run, she gave birth to a baby girl who later died under mysterious circumstances. 

Gloria Trevi claims that she woke up one day to find her baby girl gone from the apartment she shared with Sergio and the other girls. It is believed that the baby suffocated in her sleep and that Sergio along with the girls took the baby away while Gloria had been drugged into a heavy sleep. To this day, Gloria claims to have no knowledge of where her baby is and rarely talks about the incident. In 2000, both Gloria and Sergio were arrested in Brazil in connection to the ****** abuse and molestation charges. After spending 4 years and 8 months in jail, Gloria was released and acquitted of all charges. To this day, Gloria maintains her innocence and claims that many of the allegations were fabricated by the girls. She is also currently involved in a legal battle with Latin TV network, TV Azteca, after suing them for defamation in connection to the ****** abuse and molestation charges. She claims they perpetuated the issue by spreading lies for years and being responsible for much of the backlash she received. The lawsuit is still pending. 

Post Prison Career

Following her release from prison, Gloria took her newfound freedom and worked to regain her credibility as an artist. In 2004, she released her first album since her imprisonment which fans quickly noticed as having more of a pop sound compared to her earlier work. Since her comeback, she has released 6 studio albums and sold over 6 million units. Some might argue that she is more popular now than ever before. 

71IjQeRRMjL._SS500_.jpg

LGBTQ Support

Gloria has long been a gay icon in the Latin community and more-so now. She often pays tribute to the LGBT community and says that she owes her success to the LGBT community and feels that she identifies with them in being misunderstood and their struggles. She is no stranger to pride festivals and often features gay themes in her music, videos, shows and even released an “I Will Survive” style anthem in the late 00’s named "Todos Me Miran" (Everyone Looks at Me).

While her image and style may not be everyone’s cup of tea, this woman is brilliant, talented and truly an icon. As someone else mentioned in another thread, she is a phoenix. She has beat all the odds and came out on top and at the age of 52 is still a QUEEN! Also...her voice is one of a kind!

gloria-trevi-latin-amas-rc-2015-billboar

Acoustic version of one of her earlier 90's hits, "El Recuento De Los Danos" (The Recount of the Damage)

Some of her newer stuff...

"Habla Blah Blah ft. Shy Carter"

"Que Me Duela"

"Me Rio De Ti"

Edited by Roxxy
Featured. TEEHEE 💛🧡💜
  • Like 1

I'd also like to add that she was never convicted of anything, she literally was in jail for almost 5 years awaiting a trial to take place. And some of the women who accused her during 1990s-2000s came forward a couple of years ago saying that they were paid by TV Azteca (a popular Mexican TV channel) to smear Gloria's name

• Love 2
1 minute ago, LELE said:

i love Madonna but i think that Gloria lyrics are more raw, it's almost like listening her true feelings[i'm talking about her first well known songs],so in terms of lyrics she's not like Madonna

I think Gloria is something completely different :mhm: Not that one is better than the other, but her whole career and artistry is just very different. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block