This Day in Pop: I Wanna Go music video premieres in 2011 (June 22)

iwgv.jpg.ec7062de37050f57a0bd43d10f072eb8.jpg

On June 22, 2011, Britney Spears released the music video for I Wanna Go, the third single off her album Femme Fatale.

The music video for "I Wanna Go" was directed by Stewart Hannah and filmed in Los Angeles, California. Spears first contacted Piliero and asked him to put together a concept for the video. The main idea for Marrs Piliero came from the lyric "be a little inappropriate", which stood out for him, but he did not want to make a video about ****** inappropriateness. Piliero wrote the opening press conference scene as a tribute to the film Half Baked (1998), which he is a fan of. He explained, "That scene resonates with everyone as the epitome of the greatest way to quit your job, and just blow people off. [...] I felt like that would just be such a perfect way for her to tell the reporters to eff off." Marrs Piliero first asked actor Kellan Lutz to co-star the clip with Spears; however, Lutz turned down the role, saying that "there were a couple of weird things about the part that didn't make sense", including the scene where he was going to pour milk on himself. Piliero then thought of asking one of the stars of Half Baked, Guillermo Díaz, to be part of the video, explaining that it "would make it come full circle." Piliero watched all of Spears' videos and wanted to pull what he loved from them, but also give it something fresh. Piliero felt that all of her references to the paparazzi in her previous videos had been more of a statement than an action, and for "I Wanna Go", he wanted her to have the opportunity to fight back.

Piliero had the concept nearly finished by the time he met with Spears. Both wanted to explore fun ways for Spears to be inappropriate in the video, who had several ideas, such as a cop frisking her. Having seen Spears on How I Met Your Mother and Saturday Night Live, Piliero felt that none of her videos had really taken advantage of her comedic timing, saying, "She never had a music video where she could show her acting chops and have fun with comedy while being super badass. That was my goal from day one: I wanted her to be funny, badass and super cool." During the first day of the shoot, he requested Spears to "have as much fun as possible over these next two days". Pilliero also stated that the Crossroads (2002) reference "is a fun Easter egg for fans. Plus, Die Hard 2: Die Harder is the most ridiculously awesome way to title a sequel. It just felt like the right thing to do. When Britney saw it, she loved it."

Source

3 days before the official release, we got a little teaser

Felt kind of bummed after the 14 teasers that HIAM got instead :jl:

And even though at the end of 2011 Womanizer was still her most watched video, on July 13, 2012, I Wanna Go became her first music video to reach 100M views on YouTube, making it VEVO certified:

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Where are all my Gladiators? The Scandal fans. Our very own Huck (Guillermo Diaz) is in this music video.  :barbie:

for several years I didn't understand what she says at the end, until I found out his name was Guillermo and I was like "aaah so THAT's what she says"  :orangu: Is that how Americans pronounce it? 

14 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

for several years I didn't understand what she says at the end, until I found out his name was Guillermo and I was like "aaah so THAT's what she says" Is that how Americans pronounce it? 

You mean, "giyermo"? I say "giyermo" too when I say Guillermo Del Toro's name. :idkney:

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Fab britney said:

I like the video aside from her Avril Lavigne look. It’s kinda juvenile. The Mickey Mouse shirt makeup and overall concept tho is nice 

I still don't understand where that look came from, especially for all her other looks throughout the FF era :idkney: I was surprised she didn't appear wearing one  of her unflattering leotards or something

It was kinda off character for FFney, but I think it was fresh and I really liked it, more than HIAM or TTWE. Criminal ended up being even better though. 

• Like 3
  • 11 months later...

Yesterday were 10 years of this music video, wow time flies ! 

we know she didnt write this one but the lyrics and the video are so conected with what team con has put brit on !!  

Lately people got me all tied up
There's a countdown waiting for me to erupt
Time to blow out
I've been told who I should do it with
To keep both my hands above the blanket
When the lights out

After what she sayed today in court im so angry for what they made her go through 

303efc0e93d9993b26157f1e9d2fa6b0.gif 

now i dedicate this part to TEAM CONSERVATORSHIP AND SPEARS FAMILY

#FREEBRITNEY

• Like 1
9 hours ago, rr_174 said:

Yesterday were 10 years of this music video, wow time flies ! 

we know she didnt write this one but the lyrics and the video are so conected with what team con has put brit on !!  

Lately people got me all tied up
There's a countdown waiting for me to erupt
Time to blow out
I've been told who I should do it with
To keep both my hands above the blanket
When the lights out

After what she sayed today in court im so angry for what they made her go through 

303efc0e93d9993b26157f1e9d2fa6b0.gif 

now i dedicate this part to TEAM CONSERVATORSHIP AND SPEARS FAMILY

#FREEBRITNEY

I was exactly thinking of it. Funny how it is still reletable