This Day in Pop: Britney Spears releases Anticipating single in 2002 (June 21)

2 hours ago, stanLOONA said:

I don't get why it ended up in Britney, makes no sense to me.

It makes perfect sense. Sure, sonically it sounds immature. But the lyrics being super suggestive and containing explicitness literally wouldn't have made it possible for the song to be on any of her prior albums without there being a riot. RIP

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Hooked-On-Knee said:

It makes perfect sense. Sure, sonically it sounds immature. But the lyrics being super suggestive and containing explicitness literally wouldn't have made it possible for the song to be on any of her prior albums without there being a riot. RIP

I did actually have to read the lyrics for my last comment and noticed they are a lot more suggestive than we are lead to be 

Skip on the drinks head to the floor
Making my way and that's for sure
My body's takin' over and I want some more
Woah Yeah Yeah

I've been anticipating
This is our song they're playing
I want to rock with you
You're feeling this right let's do this tonight(Yeah yeah)

it never would’ve been able on oops or baby tbh, even though it’s kinda dumb lol

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Rik said:

I did actually have to read the lyrics for my last comment and noticed they are a lot more suggestive than we are lead to be 

Skip on the drinks head to the floor
Making my way and that's for sure
My body's takin' over and I want some more
Woah Yeah Yeah

I've been anticipating
This is our song they're playing
I want to rock with you
You're feeling this right let's do this tonight(Yeah yeah)

it never would’ve been able on oops or baby tbh, even though it’s kinda dumb lol

Oh and these lyrics: 

"Gotta really let me know if you want me
You gotta turn me on and make me feel ****
You gotta show me you've got everything that I need x2"

There was literal controversy over the part in Slave where said, "I just wanna dance next to you", (or something like that), because people thought she was singing, "I just want to have s** with you". Imagine the stir if she ACTUALLY said it. :rip_dead_grave_mariah_graveyard_flowers_rip:

• Haha 3
Just now, Hooked-On-Knee said:

Oh and these lyrics: 

"Gotta really let me know if you want me
You gotta turn me on and make me feel ****
You gotta show me you've got everything that I need x2"

There was literal controversy over the part in Slave where said, "I just wanna dance next to you", (or something like that), because people thought she was singing, "I just want to have s** with you". Imagine the stir if she ACTUALLY said it. :rip_dead_grave_mariah_graveyard_flowers_rip:

She also loved to play with the good girl gone bad dichotomy 

says it’s from 2004, but it’s actually Fan footage from dream within a dream in 02. She quickly transitions to slave and takes off her outfit to make the switch 

it used to be so random to me but it actually makes a lot more sense with context around the anticipating lyrics 

• Like 1

What if I told you Anticipating is 2 things at the same time:

1. one of, if not the, generally weakest songs on the album

2. one of, if not the, most feel good songs on the album

That may or may not make sense but let's all agree we're better off for having this song on a week like this. 

On 6/22/2020 at 3:38 AM, PokemonSpears said:

According to some people, even here on Exhale, the DWADT performance of the song was shown on tv music channels as an official video, in places like France, Brazil and Philippines, but we would need someone to confirm.

Yes, indeed. I think she was busy with the tour that they didn't have time to film a proper video.

The song was also used on that car commercial! I remembered it was on heavy rotation on MTV Asia back then.

• Like 2