Taco Bell is canceled for firing an employee over a Black Lives Matter mask

• Leader

A spokesperson for Taco Bell said:

"We believe Black Lives Matter. We were disappointed to learn about the incident that took place in Youngstown, OH. We take this very seriously; we have been working closely with our franchisee that operates this location to address the issue," they said.

"Our Chief People Officer and Yum!'s Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer spoke with Denzel last week to apologize and discuss the situation," they continued. "Our goal is to ensure our policies are inclusive and keep our team members and customers safe."

"While our policies at restaurants do not prohibit Team Members from wearing Black Lives Matter masks, we are working to clarify our mask policy so this doesn't happen again," they added.

8 minutes ago, asterix said:

The manager is not going to risk losing her job. She did great to follow the company's policy. 

That's a slippery slope. Na zi firing squads would have lost their job if they didn't commit atrocities. I realize my example is hardly equivalent but my point is that towing the company line isn't always the right thing, and sometimes, the people that speak up against bad policies are courageous and admirable, even if it means breaking the rules :yay:

Yeah I'm gonna side with the "restaurants aren't the place for social statements" crowd. While I find it a little extreme for someone to be fired for having a BLM mask, I also don't think that employees should be making political/social statements like that. There's a time and place for everything, and your work shift at Taco Bell isn't the time or place.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

A spokesperson for Taco Bell said:

"We believe Black Lives Matter. We were disappointed to learn about the incident that took place in Youngstown, OH. We take this very seriously; we have been working closely with our franchisee that operates this location to address the issue," they said.

"Our Chief People Officer and Yum!'s Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer spoke with Denzel last week to apologize and discuss the situation," they continued. "Our goal is to ensure our policies are inclusive and keep our team members and customers safe."

"While our policies at restaurants do not prohibit Team Members from wearing Black Lives Matter masks, we are working to clarify our mask policy so this doesn't happen again," they added.

I’m sick of these corporations only releasing these statements cause they don’t want the much warranted backlash. It’s disgusting how much they only “care” when customers complain, they get backlash, or afraid of a lawsuit. 

• Like 1

I’m with Taco Bell on this one. As an employee you represent the company and corporations are generally not in the business of spreading a political message - most aren’t anyway. If a political message is to spread, then it comes from the company’s executives not an hourly employee. My place of work is not my platform to spread my personal beliefs. 

• Like 1

What a soft world this place is becoming. All the frantic public statements, apologies, cancel culture etc. :ugh:

Politics should not be in a fast food establishment... and I hope to see the day when people are confident enough to stand their ground and not issue apologies over something that they are in the right for.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Jordan Miller said:

SMH. "You can't bring politics into the building." "I'm just doing my job." Gross.

Why is it gross? In my country this is a standard at many jobs. Same with religious stuff. At work we have to be neutral.

I honestly am fine with it. There are other times to express yourself than at work.......you're getting paid to work, not to express your opinion or religion.

54 minutes ago, Sharkney said:

What a soft world this place is becoming. All the frantic public statements, apologies, cancel culture etc. :ugh:

Politics should not be in a fast food establishment... and I hope to see the day when people are confident enough to stand their ground and not issue apologies over something that they are in the right for.

Indeed. As I said, in my country (Belgium) this can often lead to getting fired as many jobs, including mine, requires us to be NEUTRAL. I agree with this, cause work is really not the place to bring in politics or religion.

These days being neutral is considered to be pro racism which totally is untrue and it's sickening me. YOU DON'T HAVE TO EXPRESS YOURSELF TO SHOW YOU ARE AGAINST IT. Some people just like to keep their opinions for themself on sensitive cases like this. Everyone who is keeping silent on the BLM is considered to be a racist. How shortminded is that?!?!?! Just because YOU DON'T WANT TO GET INVOLVED IN IT DOESN'T MEAN YOU AGREE WITH EVERYTHING. period.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block