Lady Antebellum changes name to Lady A. Problem is... it steals from a black singer who's gone by Lady A for 20 years (UPDATE: They're now suing her)

• 4 weeks later...

they're now suing the original Lady A :gloria:

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ehisosifo1/lady-antebellum-suing-anita-white-black-woman?utm_source=dynamic&utm_campaign=bffbbuzzfeed&ref=bffbbuzzfeed&&fbclid=IwAR1HqsAVRUGAllzB73C8JXDUT-BrJnTQL2U82bDcvquUc6GM5szwBFB7qIU

Today we are sad to share that our sincere hope to join together with Anita White in unity and common purpose has ended. She and her team have demanded a $10 million payment, so reluctantly we have come to the conclusion that we need to ask a court to affirm our right to continue to use the name Lady A, a trademark we have held for many years.

• Haha 1
On 6/14/2020 at 2:40 PM, Roxxy said:

I never understood why they chose "Lady Antebellum" as their name. Especially when you think of the fact that they made such a beautiful country bop like Need You Now. :idkney:

What does Antebllum even mean? I'm not American (despite living here for much of my life), so I don't get the significance.

Also, I hope Lady A. cleans out their bank account in court. I may not have heard of her before this, but pay her some damn respect.

• Like 3

I think its cool that they're doing the right thing, but wouldn't "Lady A" just stand for  Lady Antebellum in short? 

"That's the major problem with the antebellum aesthetic: It was built on the backs of slave labor. While the original term wasn't offensive, "antebellum" as we use it today glorifies a painful period in our history when Black people were enslaved by white people."

25 minutes ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

To be clear, Lady A (the single woman) is trying to get 10 million dollars out of Lady A (the band) to let them use the same name. That’s why they are suing her. She’s trying to use the situation to her advantage. 

I really don’t get this whole situation. I mean you can’t own a name? It’s like when Kylie Jenner tried to trademark “Kylie” and Kylie Minogue was like oh hell no. Let’s face it, very few ppl had ever heard of this singer, at least significantly less than have heard of the country band. She’s gotten a lot of exposure from this whole situation. And now she wants $10 million for nothing. But honestly the band should just pick a different name, they’re changing it already. Make it Lady America or something. 

they should just use their names like "Peter, Paul and Mary" or however they're called lol

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

It’s like when Kylie Jenner tried to trademark “Kylie” and Kylie Minogue was like oh hell no. Let’s face it, very few ppl had ever heard of this singer, at least significantly less than have heard of the country band.

I thought you were talking about Kylie for a second :gloriascary: I was about to :drag:

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Jordan Miller said:

I'm not sure how to feel about this. 

I mean, apparently it's just to come to an agreement instead of the $10M she's asking.

But still, it doesn't stop being ironic that they changed their name amidst the BLM movement, to end up suing a black singer for that name (which apparently the group wants the two of them to be able to use it).

Wouldn't it be easier to just pick a different name? :yaknow:

• Like 2
15 hours ago, BrittonJeanSpears said:

What does Antebllum even mean? I'm not American (despite living here for much of my life), so I don't get the significance.

Also, I hope Lady A. cleans out their bank account in court. I may not have heard of her before this, but pay her some damn respect.

Hi there! The term “Antebellum” means “before the war.” It’s typically used when referring to America before the Civil War when slavery was still legally permitted. The Antebellum South existed in America from about the late 1700s until 1861.

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block