Avril Lavigne's let go did actually some historical achievements

Spicechinodiva

In 2002 Avril Lavigne released Let Go. 

It was one of two female albums that actually caused a cultural shift. The other Is P!NK's M!SSUndaztood.

It ended Britney spears and the Max Martin era of Teen pop..

Not saying it ended Britney. But it was pretty obvious given how Pink and Avril were outselling the teen pop girls. It ended the genre's reign. 

Also Britney worked with The Matrix on Shadow who basically did almost all the hits from Let Go. 

Plus Britney worked with Linda Perry on the in the zone sessions. Boys and Girks were issued on the international bonus CD of the in the zone dvd. Track remains unreleased in the US. Funny how Pink never called out Britney for working with her Girl Linda. 

Let Go is the best selling female debut album in the UK of all time. All time. 

Just how successful is that record. She broke the record held By Kylie Minogue for 1988's Kylie. It took 15 years to break an established record.

But I guarantee you..

The UK will only know Complicated compared to The singles from "Kylie" are iconic pop songs in the UK

"I SHOULD BE SO LUCKY", GOT TO BE CERTAIN,  THE LOCO-MOTION AND OF COURSE JE NE SAIS PAS POURQUOI ( I STILL LOVE YOU) ARE PROBABLY MORE ICONIC AND INBEDEDD IN THE UK POP MUSIC CANON MORE THAN LET GO. 

case in point. Every avril album after that sold less and less. Avril just happened to arrive at the right time when Britney and bubblegum pop fatigue was beginning to set in. 

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived