Just got a friendly reminder why it's risky for a dance pop act to release a ballad

Spicechinodiva

Someone said if anything katy Perry is the Paula Abdul of her generation 

Her third studio album teenage dream was her Forever your girl.

But Prism was her Spellbound.

That is where I disagree. 

First of all. The singles from Prism weren't really as challenging as the singles from 91's Spellbound was.

Yes. Both are dance pop albums.

But Virgin and Paula took a huge rish. Releasing Rush, Rush a ballad as the first single. It's a risk that many dance acts can say they did the unthinkable.  Have a ballad that defined a summer or proms. Rush, rush defined High school proms of 91.

And was everywhere in the summer of 91. Even MTV devoted specials to the return of Paula Abdul  

Totally Paula hosted by Downtown julie brown. 

To be fair. Outside Britney.  I really doubt the original MTV vision would embrace what's popular today. 

Outside two ballads. If you look at Katy Perry's hot 100 chart archives on billboard.  She's not really popular for her midtempos or downtempos. 

And to think her music career began on her actual second studio album. 

The fact that everybody ignores her Christian debut album Katy Hudson. Is really funny when she herself acknowledges that album as her debut album. 

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived