Taylor Swift calls on Tennessee lawmakers to remove monuments that celebrate racist figures: "[they] make me sick"

• Leader

taylor-statue.jpg.ed28d913cb588169b072484be240c3a2.jpg

Taylor Swift used her immense platform to put Tennessee lawmakers on blast, demanding they remove monuments celebrating racist figures.

“As a Tennessean, it makes me sick that there are monuments standing in our state that celebrate racist historical figures who did evil things,” she said. “Edward Carmack and Nathan Bedford Forrest were DESPICABLE figures in our state history and should be treated as such.”

She continued: “When you fight to honor racists, you show Black Tennesseans and all of their allies where you stand, and you continue this cycle of hurt. You can’t change history, but you can change this.”

Read her full statement below.

Swift is on the right side of history :mimiclap:

• Love 1
9 hours ago, BuckyKatt said:

Ok, just try to understand me: if someone finds a cure for cancer or something big as,  and happens to be racist, hommophobe, etc... should, or should not be recognized?!

I assume these monuments are not to celebrate the despicable actions they made...

First of all, neither of them achieved anything remotely comparable. A big part of their legacy being racists and slave owners.

Second of all, defending white supremacists? Are you sure that is the hill you wanna die on? Defending white supremacists and slave owners? :receipts2:

Third, according to Atlas Obscura, Nathan Bedford Forrest's statue was, indeed, created to celebrate him. Also, statues in general just seem to be celebratory, don't you think? You won't see people erecting statues of H!tl3r in public spaces to criticize him. Statues seem to be usually erected to honour people who are deemed important.

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Shadow2003 said:

First of all, neither of them achieved anything remotely comparable. A big part of their legacy being racists and slave owners.

Second of all, defending white supremacists? Are you sure that is the hill you wanna die on? Defending white supremacists and slave owners? :receipts2:

Third, according to Atlas Obscura, Nathan Bedford Forrest's statue was, indeed, created to celebrate him. Also, statues in general just seem to be celebratory, don't you think? You won't see people erecting statues of H!tl3r in public spaces to criticize him. Statues seem to be usually erected to honour people who are deemed important.

Defending?! :wtf: HELL NO!! I, wrongly apparently, tried to provoke debate :sobbing:

I'm speaking in general, not concrete cases. Like OnlyBeyonce said, should we take down the roman colisseum?! Weren't the pyramides, railroads, so on, built mostly by slave work?!

And the sins of the church? Comparable to H!tl3r's, don't you agree?!

Let's just cancell all?! Where to draw the line?! 

Shouldn't "I'm a Slave 4 U" be cancelled to? :lessons:

• Love 1
  • Like 3
  • Super Mods

Honestly do people really care? I mean people walk by it and go “who’s that old man?” Oh some racist ******* way back then.” If it’s that much of an eyesore then let the local people deal with it. Monuments get erected and torn down all the time. Taylor really trying to flex her power huh?

• Love 1
  • Like 1
  • Content Curators
On 6/12/2020 at 9:46 PM, Roxxy said:

Even monuments are getting cancelled now. :mattafact:

As they should 

this is the one thing that should be cancelled 

idk what it is with the us and why they would have statues of leaders that fought to keep slavery around

Dispose of them  :hillary:

• Like 1
On 6/12/2020 at 10:45 PM, BuckyKatt said:

Ok, just try to understand me: if someone finds a cure for cancer or something big as,  and happens to be racist, hommophobe, etc... should, or should not be recognized?!

I assume these monuments are not to celebrate the despicable actions they made...

There’s plenty of peoples who deserve monuments who were also on the right side of history. Yes, even if you found the cure for cancer, but also tormented black lives during slavery, that last bit, outweighs the discovery point, blank, periodttttt.

On 6/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, BuckyKatt said:

Defending?! :wtf: HELL NO!! I, wrongly apparently, tried to provoke debate :sobbing:

Oh, alright then, it looks like I misunderstood your post and I'm sorry. I'm glad we got that cleared up.

On 6/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, BuckyKatt said:

I'm speaking in general, not concrete cases. Like OnlyBeyonce said, should we take down the roman colisseum?! Weren't the pyramides, railroads, so on, built mostly by slave work?!

And the sins of the church? Comparable to H!tl3r's, don't you agree?!

Let's just cancell all?! Where to draw the line?! 

Shouldn't "I'm a Slave 4 U" be cancelled to? :lessons:

I am not yet sure and I need to take more time to educate myself on this issue, so I can't speak on it, but from what I've read so far, people are saying that the pyramids were not built by slaves, but by paid and fed Egyptian citizens. Some have also added that these monuments were built by people tens of thousands of years ago, so the same rules don't apply to them as things that happened hundreds of years ago (much more recent). These are not my opinions, I'm just bringing up points I've seen other people use when asked these questions.

As for the part about where to draw the line, well... I think we can get rid of monuments that celebrate awful people, leave those of respectable people and create new statues of people who deserve monuments who celebrate them in place of the torn down ones.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block