The 80s was truly the last decade where pop music ruled the charts and the top music genre

Spicechinodiva

If you were to tell me that hip hop and R&B music would become the preferred genre in pop music. The 7 year old me in 1991 would laugh at you.

Boy how close to 30 years later. That did become accurate.

So with that said. 

If you look at the Billboard archives of the 80s and early 90s. You will see what I mean. 

Pop music ran the 80s like no other gebre. Maybe once in a while an 80s hair band lije poison would get a #1 single but it was with a ballad like every rose has it's thorn. Not their hard rock sound..

But pop music did run the decade as the preferred genre in music. In both albums and the hot 100.

Hell the best selling album of all time is from 1982. Thriller by Michael Jackson.

The biggest selling female artist of all time according to Guinness book of world records is Madonna. An artist who debuted in 1982. 

So the 80s was truly the last decade that pop music ran it like a boss.

Now it is now known as a resurgence genre. Will be preferred for a few yeard til people get bored and go back to rap music. 

Rap music became popular again. Ince charts allowed Streaming to take over. 

Rap never died. They moved to a format before anybody else did. 

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would have to disagree, pop was the most popular genre from 1985-2002. The best selling teenage album was pop and from the 90s, the best selling female album of the 00s was a pop album too. From 1995-2000, Pop reigned higher and far more better than to the 80s. It had a Renaissance from 2008-2014, and died out in 2015 and was just dead from 2017-2018. Now...pop is again having its 3rd resurgence from 2019- (now) with the rise of 70s-early 00s techno and synth pop and disco  

1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

You're 5 years older than me, Spicey. :barbie:

Here's one of my favorite songs from the 80s.

:bop:

Well if we're talking about Who's That Girl, The Look of Love and Who's That Girl are bops. :madance:

But yes, the 80s is easily my favorite decade for pop music. So many one hit wonders, and the creation of real, flashy, sometimes incredibly private popstars - Madonna, Prince, etc. Not to mention the fantastic 80s J-pop we got during that time, along with idols like Chisato Moritaka and Miho Nakayama. :lizzie:

Archived