Lately I've been thinking about some of my favorite movies featuring great performances from Black pop stars. Obviously the late, great Whitney Houston comes to mind right away. The Bodyguard, Waiting to Exhale, The Preacher's Wife. Whitney wowed us as a leading lady in The Bodyguard and her performance broke barriers at the time. Even though she faced criticism from film critics, it's safe to say some of her movies have undoubtedly stood the test of time.

Mariah has been cast in some very impressive dramatic roles in Lee Daniels films Precious and The Butler. Justice For Glitter

Beyonce in Dreamgirls and The Lion King. 

Janet Jackson (Miss Jackson if you're nasty) in Poetic Justice

Diana Ross, Janelle Monae, Aaliyah, Will Smith. The list goes on...

I'm curious what some of your fave crossover performances are. Let's discuss!

Eugene Levy Clapping GIF by Schitt's Creek

aaliyah.jpg.7b1f41adcbca4b4e3c820c5a3123898d.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

What about Janet Jackson in Why Did I Get Married? and Why Did I Get Married Too? ?

I absolutely love this scene from the sequel.

It's so satisfying to watch cause I was rooting for Patricia (Janet's character). :janet:

Totally. Janet was great in those movies and also in The Nutty Professor sequel

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Brandy was the first black actress to portray Cinderella on a movie. Whitney Houston and Whoppi Goldberg also acted in this film.

Glad this movie was mentioned! This was a surprisingly diverse production of Cinderella. Also worth mentioning that Brandy starred in I Still Know What You Did Last Summer. 

• Love 2

the bodyguard! amazing soundtrack. She was beautiful and amazing! 

the movie was the first mainstream interracial love story that completely ignore the race never addressed it in the movie.

after Whitney did it, everything was possible for upcoming black actresses.

after this movie she was getting paid 10 mill for a movie and became highest paid actress together with Julia Roberts.  10 mill a movie. 
da471790209ca28bd28ccd9d39248d71.giftumblr_lzrspx5YkG1qbmp7lo1_250.gif
original.pnggiphy.giftumblr_mu98cfUZNy1qhaf9bo1_250.gifvtenor.gif?itemid=10225825

• Love 4

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker. 

Released theatrically internationally Christmas of 1988 by Warner bros pictures. 

Released unfortunately in a home video format by Columbia music video

Just imagine if the US got a theatrical release.  

It would probably be the highest grossing black musical of all time. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Roxxy said:

You know what, I actually don't know the answer to that as well. :idkney:

8 hours ago, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

I’m probably sounding like a Very Bad Gay, but has Naomi Campbell ever acted in a film?? Her legs are fabulous, so she would kill any role!  :jj:

Love Naomi. Have you ever seen this? Naomi had an album titled Baby Woman that was released in 1994. 

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block