I do agree with the latin music press on this one thing

Spicechinodiva

The day Selena died. 

Most latin music press agree on thing.

The day Selena died was the day The Tijuana Brass and latin romantic music died. 

Her death signified the end of a long traditional mexican music genre. 

Was also the beginning of The reggaeton taking over as the preferred latin music genre. 

selena quintanilla GIF

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you @Roxxy for alerting me of this thread's existence. :ari:

Selena's presence and success made it much easier for other Hispanic artists to enter the industry. Her impact is only ever understated, and that's because it's impossible to fully understand just how much influence she had. Tejano music peaked when she did, and, unfortunately, it fell out of grace when she was fatally wounded. 

Her death caused a shift within the industry. The traditional Cumbia and Tejano sound was just about eradicated - it's why you no longer hear music like Selena's. A large portion of Hispanic music today has vague elements of her sound, but it primarily blends with the rest of the (in my opinion, subpar) regular pop and Latin pop released today. In fact, she remains the best selling Tejano artist of all time and continues to outsell living Tejano artists. 

But anyways, enough sadness and despair. :kyliecry: If you love Selena and want to discuss everything from her music to her fashion, come hang out on the Selena Quintanilla appreciation thread I made a few weeks ago! :barbie:

Why is it that I'm from Tijuana, lived my entire life here, and have never heard of such thing as Tijuana Brass until now? :idkney:

Selena's death was something that shocked everybody, and though I was very little when that happened, precisely because of this I only have memories of Selena being this huge icon and her songs being played everywhere. 

However, I think her case, even since she was alive, was very peculiar and distinctive. Her music had this "regional" origin, but her style and her persona itself, as an artist and icon had surpassed those limits placed by a genre, and she was up there competing against "pop" or "rock" icons. Not to mention after her death, which elevated her to this legend status forever, and even more when the movie came out.

6 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Her death signified the end of a long traditional mexican music genre. 

Was also the beginning of The reggaeton taking over as the preferred latin music genre.

These statements though... I really don't know if you're talking from the US, or just foreign perspective in general, but within Mexico or Latin America, there was a looooong history between Selena's music and reggaeton taking over, both in pop/rock or in regional music, however you wanna see it.

In the pop scene, back in the 90's we had all these super popular acts, both from Mexico and other places, like Fey, Onda Vaselina, Kabah, Lynda, Paulina Rubio, Ricky Martin, Thalia, Enrique Iglesias, etc. In the rock scene we had other acts like Caifanes, Alejandra Guzmán, Gloria Trevi, Molotov, Café Tacvba, and even Shakira originally fitted this category more than pop. In the regional genre, we had these bands like Bronco, Liberación, Tucanes de Tijuana, Los Tigres del Norte, and some solo acts like Laura León, and later the ones that would kinda try to replace Selena, which were Ana Bárbara, Priscilla y sus Balas de Plata, Alicia Villarreal, etc.

We could say there were some reggaeton precursors back then, like El General, Vico C or Caló, but that was more like rap/dance fusion, and nothing like the music that's taken over in recent years.

After that, pop and rock music have evolved a lot, going through different trends, and obviously not all of the artists have survived the passing of time, and new ones have appeared throughout the years. And the regional music started to get overtaken by all these bands with like a thousand members, mostly male, singing "narco corridos" praising the **** dealers' life and culture, or ruining some popular song with a tacky cover. But that was more than 10 years after Selena's passing :yaknow: Then we eventually had this female regional singer, which also became a legend on her own, Jenni Rivera, after tragically dying in 2012. 

So it was only in the past decade that reggaeton started to go from an alternative, "urban" genre, to become the new "pop". And the classic sound of pop that we had since forever, aka normal, romantic ballads, and traditional uptempo, pop songs, just became dated along with all of the acts that used to represent this genre, forcing artists that have had long *** careers to duet with new upcoming reggaeton acts to try to stay relevant, or completely disappear into oblivion. And it all started with the "pioneers" like Daddy Yankee and Wisin & Yandel, etc, but the full transition I think it was thanks to people like Enrique Iglesias and Shakira, and eventually Pitbull, that allowed this limit between pop and "urban" to get blurry and eventually get overtaken by upcoming acts like J Balvin or Maluma. 

So tl;dr; I think there was a huuuge gap between Selena's death and reggaeton taking over, and many other things and factors happened in between. Again, I don't know if you're talking from a foreign perspective, and if so, I don't know what's the perception that they've had about Mexican music, or specifically regional Mexican music over the years. 

45 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Why is it that I'm from Tijuana, lived my entire life here, and have never heard of such thing as Tijuana Brass until now? :idkney:

Selena's death was something that shocked everybody, and though I was very little when that happened, precisely because of this I only have memories of Selena being this huge icon and her songs being played everywhere. 

However, I think her case, even since she was alive, was very peculiar and distinctive. Her music had this "regional" origin, but her style and her persona itself, as an artist and icon had surpassed those limits placed by a genre, and she was up there competing against "pop" or "rock" icons. Not to mention after her death, which elevated her to this legend status forever, and even more when the movie came out.

These statements though... I really don't know if you're talking from the US, or just foreign perspective in general, but within Mexico or Latin America, there was a looooong history between Selena's music and reggaeton taking over, both in pop/rock or in regional music, however you wanna see it.

In the pop scene, back in the 90's we had all these super popular acts, both from Mexico and other places, like Fey, Onda Vaselina, Kabah, Lynda, Paulina Rubio, Ricky Martin, Thalia, Enrique Iglesias, etc. In the rock scene we had other acts like Caifanes, Alejandra Guzmán, Gloria Trevi, Molotov, Café Tacvba, and even Shakira originally fitted this category more than pop. In the regional genre, we had these bands like Bronco, Liberación, Tucanes de Tijuana, Los Tigres del Norte, and some solo acts like Laura León, and later the ones that would kinda try to replace Selena, which were Ana Bárbara, Priscilla y sus Balas de Plata, Alicia Villarreal, etc.

We could say there were some reggaeton precursors back then, like El General, Vico C or Caló, but that was more like rap/dance fusion, and nothing like the music that's taken over in recent years.

After that, pop and rock music have evolved a lot, going through different trends, and obviously not all of the artists have survived the passing of time, and new ones have appeared throughout the years. And the regional music started to get overtaken by all these bands with like a thousand members, mostly male, singing "narco corridos" praising the **** dealers' life and culture, or ruining some popular song with a tacky cover. But that was more than 10 years after Selena's passing :yaknow: Then we eventually had this female regional singer, which also became a legend on her own, Jenni Rivera, after tragically dying in 2012. 

So it was only in the past decade that reggaeton started to go from an alternative, "urban" genre, to become the new "pop". And the classic sound of pop that we had since forever, aka normal, romantic ballads, and traditional uptempo, pop songs, just became dated along with all of the acts that used to represent this genre, forcing artists that have had long *** careers to duet with new upcoming reggaeton acts to try to stay relevant, or completely disappear into oblivion. And it all started with the "pioneers" like Daddy Yankee and Wisin & Yandel, etc, but the full transition I think it was thanks to people like Enrique Iglesias and Shakira, and eventually Pitbull, that allowed this limit between pop and "urban" to get blurry and eventually get overtaken by upcoming acts like J Balvin or Maluma. 

So tl;dr; I think there was a huuuge gap between Selena's death and reggaeton taking over, and many other things and factors happened in between. Again, I don't know if you're talking from a foreign perspective, and if so, I don't know what's the perception that they've had about Mexican music, or specifically regional Mexican music over the years. 

I'm talking from An American perspective. 

The biggest exposure to pop musuc fir me from Mexico was definitely Rebelde aka RBD. But that only happened after I came across a pic of Christian Chavez in pink hair. He was so beautiful. He still is. But he lost that camp I love him for. 

christian chavez GIF

11 hours ago, AmorProhibido said:

Thank you @Roxxy for alerting me of this thread's existence. :ari:

Selena's presence and success made it much easier for other Hispanic artists to enter the industry. Her impact is only ever understated, and that's because it's impossible to fully understand just how much influence she had. Tejano music peaked when she did, and, unfortunately, it fell out of grace when she was fatally wounded. 

Her death caused a shift within the industry. The traditional Cumbia and Tejano sound was just about eradicated - it's why you no longer hear music like Selena's. A large portion of Hispanic music today has vague elements of her sound, but it primarily blends with the rest of the (in my opinion, subpar) regular pop and Latin pop released today. In fact, she remains the best selling Tejano artist of all time and continues to outsell living Tejano artists. 

But anyways, enough sadness and despair. :kyliecry: If you love Selena and want to discuss everything from her music to her fashion, come hang out on the Selena Quintanilla appreciation thread I made a few weeks ago! :barbie:

Wow, great promo :meryl: I was just wondering why yr thread was still in the featured section (no hate and sorry if I sound rude or spiteful, I complimented u)

1 minute ago, Blackout2006 said:

Wow, great promo :meryl: I was just wondering why yr thread was still in the featured section (no hate and sorry if I sound rude or spiteful, I complimented u)

:blol: I mean, I'm gonna be bumping and adding to my thread because I want people to know about her and discuss her with me. :zoomzoom: Even if I hadn't created it, I would still promote it. It seems we have a lot of Selena fans on here that simply never saw it and I would love for them to contribute. :messbye:

1 minute ago, AmorProhibido said:

:blol: I mean, I'm gonna be bumping and adding to my thread because I want people to know about her and discuss her with me. :zoomzoom: Even if I hadn't created it, I would still promote it. It seems we have a lot of Selena fans on here that simply never saw it and I would love for them to contribute. :messbye:

Exactly. So that’s why i credit u :howiroll:

Archived