Is MAX’s whole career just LGBTQ+ pandering?

Returnofthemac

I by no means I want to attack Max (Schneider) personally, I have just been very curious about this for a while and am a little surprised no one seems to have drawn attention to it. MAX is a rising pop star who has had a few mild hits, including “Lights Down Low”. I genuinely do enjoy his music and he is obviously very talented but sometimes I question his motives regarding his target audience.  He is known for his flamboyant, gender-bending outfits and makeup, he’s always playing PRIDE festivals across the country, and he frequently collaborates with LGBTQ+ artists (Kim Petras, Hayley Kiyoko) and even talks about meeting his current wife at a gay bar. I’m always happy to see a heterosexual, cisgender man standing up as an ally but at what point does it go from Allyship to Appropriation? I mean, Taylor Swift was all but ripped to shreds over her sudden allyship last year and was criticized for only speaking out in favor of LGBTQ+ rights when it benefitted her career but what about someone who has built a whole career on LGTBQ+ pandering? I by no means think that anything he is doing is necessarily detrimental to the community, but I believe it’s safe to say that he certainly profits off of a community that he is not a part of. Maybe I am in the wrong here, but something just doesn’t sit right with me, as a proud gay man, seeing a cis, hetero male profiting from gay culture. Anyone else have thoughts?

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived