Emma Bunton's second studio album is the last great solo Spice album

Just now, Roxxy said:

That's okay, Avie. I'm more concerned about your thoughts on Holler, Let Love Lead the Way, and Tell Me Why because you can not not like those songs. :donewithit:

It took me awhile to get into those. My favorite part of Holler is Darkchilds verse :jj:

The bridge on LLLTW way goes hard.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Emma Bunton's 2004 album Free Me will forever be viewed as the third and final best solo Spice album. 

Joining Geri's Schizophonic and Melanie C's Northern Star as some of the best solo Spice albums, Emma's second, Free Me, brilliantly did what she does best. 

A highlight of the 98 Spiceworld tour was when Emma covered The Supremes' "Where Did Our Love Go?" Many speculate a 60s type motown album was in her future. It happened.

Her second studio album, and just like Victoria Beckham, Emma reunited with Simon Fuller as both manager and on his record label 19 Recordings. 

12 songs, one duet with Luis Fonsi (before he became a reggaeton icon, he was viewed as a romantic act Like Julio Iglesias, sr. His early solo music was very much romance theme and passionate love making music), the album houses the best solo Spice Girls solo single to date. Maybe. 

Many critics hailed it as a proper canon and was one of the best solo Spice albums ever. Oddly after Free Me, both 2006's Life in Mono and 2019's My Happy Place was trashed by fans and critics alike stating that she tried duplicating Free Me. 

Oddly, her cover of "Don't Call Me Baby" was trashed by the original artists, stating her innocent and sweet personality failed to match the song's aggressive attitude.  

Even critics agreed her innocent childlike persona was seen as overlooked compared to Victoria's icy stare as Posh, Geri's in your face attitude and brass. Mel B's unapologetic nature and very loud mouth. Even tom boy Melanie C's Sporty Spice persona. All the other girks always overshadowed the sweet and innocent Baby Spice, a fact that still proves today.

Given she's not problematic,  had any scandals or controversies the way the other girls had.

Enjoy The best studio album by a Spice Girl. It produced Four UK top 20 hits, went Gold. Still the only Spice Girl solo album to outsell her previous solo album. No other Spice Girl can say that..

Oddly, Melanie B's Hot was the first solo project to flop. Though Virgin should take responsibility and admit. Releasing Mel B's solo debut a week prior to the Spice Girls' third album was for a lack of better term a career suicide. Most people were more interested in the Spice Girls in the UK rather than a solo Spice album. 

Don't get me started on Victoria Beckham's only album.

emma-free.jpg.2eb87e75f8144aad1a06e4eb65ac5a5e.jpg

You are serving today! :hugs:

I enjoyed this album, but I feel like Mel B had one of the strongest solo albums. It’s a shame they didn’t promote it properly and basically released it at the same time as the Spice Girls “Forever” album.  They should’ve released it after the promotion of the the Spice Girl album ended. Virgin didn’t really want to give the girls solo deals but had to fulfill it. It was a waste of money to have them make all the music and a couple of videos and just hope that the music would stick because they were apart of the Spice Girls. 

25 minutes ago, Muzique17 said:

I enjoyed this album, but I feel like Mel B had one of the strongest solo albums. It’s a shame they didn’t promote it properly and basically released it at the same time as the Spice Girls “Forever” album.  They should’ve released it after the promotion of the the Spice Girl album ended. Virgin didn’t really want to give the girls solo deals but had to fulfill it. It was a waste of money to have them make all the music and a couple of videos and just hope that the music would stick because they were apart of the Spice Girls. 

Which album of Mel B?  I honestly feel like she had the most potential as a solo megastar but somehow the only great solo song of her's ended up being the cover of "Word Up".  She is NOT an RnB singer so IDK why they went for that. 

19 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

I heard the album was recorded in her kitchen. Rumor but very allegedly 

I've heard that too, not sure whether it's true or not though.

I remember being told that initially she was trying to do R&B again and someone was like "that clearly isn't working for you, why not go down the route of what you were influenced by growing up" and that's what she did

She was going through a lot at the time though, there were loads of news scandals about her which my boss ended up getting involved in, they ultimately overshadowed the project

1 hour ago, PartyLikeIts2007 said:

Mel C was consistent with her solo projects for what its worth

Melanie C also launched her solo label as an independent artist.  

I love how red girl logo has a sporty spice girl. Keeps her love for Liverpool's football team with the colors and titles. 

I think that's why Melanie C was able to still make music. She was smart and saved up all her money and such. 

It's the reason why she has the most music as a solo spice girl. 6 studio albuns after being dropped by Virgin when Reason flopped.

She was shady however. 

Reason sold 500,000 worldwide.

Beautiful intentions sold a million worldwide. 

Melanie C  point out and said. 

Take that Virgin. I didn't need a major label to sell after all. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block