Emma Bunton's second studio album is the last great solo Spice album

Emma Bunton's 2004 album Free Me will forever be viewed as the third and final best solo Spice album. 

Joining Geri's Schizophonic and Melanie C's Northern Star as some of the best solo Spice albums, Emma's second, Free Me, brilliantly did what she does best. 

A highlight of the 98 Spiceworld tour was when Emma covered The Supremes' "Where Did Our Love Go?" Many speculate a 60s type motown album was in her future. It happened.

Her second studio album, and just like Victoria Beckham, Emma reunited with Simon Fuller as both manager and on his record label 19 Recordings. 

12 songs, one duet with Luis Fonsi (before he became a reggaeton icon, he was viewed as a romantic act Like Julio Iglesias, sr. His early solo music was very much romance theme and passionate love making music), the album houses the best solo Spice Girls solo single to date. Maybe. 

Many critics hailed it as a proper canon and was one of the best solo Spice albums ever. Oddly after Free Me, both 2006's Life in Mono and 2019's My Happy Place was trashed by fans and critics alike stating that she tried duplicating Free Me. 

Oddly, her cover of "Don't Call Me Baby" was trashed by the original artists, stating her innocent and sweet personality failed to match the song's aggressive attitude.  

Even critics agreed her innocent childlike persona was seen as overlooked compared to Victoria's icy stare as Posh, Geri's in your face attitude and brass. Mel B's unapologetic nature and very loud mouth. Even tom boy Melanie C's Sporty Spice persona. All the other girks always overshadowed the sweet and innocent Baby Spice, a fact that still proves today.

Given she's not problematic,  had any scandals or controversies the way the other girls had.

Enjoy The best studio album by a Spice Girl. It produced Four UK top 20 hits, went Gold. Still the only Spice Girl solo album to outsell her previous solo album. No other Spice Girl can say that..

Oddly, Melanie B's Hot was the first solo project to flop. Though Virgin should take responsibility and admit. Releasing Mel B's solo debut a week prior to the Spice Girls' third album was for a lack of better term a career suicide. Most people were more interested in the Spice Girls in the UK rather than a solo Spice album. 

Don't get me started on Victoria Beckham's only album.

emma-free.jpg.2eb87e75f8144aad1a06e4eb65ac5a5e.jpg

• Love 4
  • Like 4
8 minutes ago, PartyLikeIts2007 said:

If only virgin wouldn't have gone bankrupt thanks to the person in my avi :queenie: the Open Your Eyes album is great and Let Your Head Go is the best single of her career! I love that the album version is different also

You mean Telestar. Virgin dropped Victoria beckham. 

Oddly only Melanie C got to do a second album for Virgin but she was dropped when Reason bombed. 

ABSOLUTELY STAN THIS ALBUM! However, I do believe that Mel C has been releasing her BEST music with her latest releases with "High Heels", "Who I Am", and "Blame It on Me"! I'm actually super excited for her new album and I have not been excited for a spice album since Emma's latest album My Happy Place, which her cover of  "Don't Call Me Baby" is pop gold! Mel B is actually my favourite spice girl and it's sad what has happened to her and unfortunate that she and her team couldn't get it together in order to make an 2nd album. I think it would be a really fun, dance, r&b Britney Esq album! 

mel b GIF by Spice Girlsrelate emma bunton GIF by Spice GirlsVideo Game 90S GIF by Melanie C

10 minutes ago, YvonneSpears said:

ABSOLUTELY STAN THIS ALBUM! However, I do believe that Mel C has been releasing her BEST music with her latest releases with "High Heels", "Who I Am", and "Blame It on Me"! I'm actually super excited for her new album and I have not been excited for a spice album since Emma's latest album My Happy Place, which her cover of  "Don't Call Me Baby" is pop gold! Mel B is actually my favourite spice girl and it's sad what has happened to her and unfortunate that she and her team couldn't get it together in order to make an 2nd album. I think it would be a really fun, dance, r&b Britney Esq album! 

mel b GIF by Spice Girlsrelate emma bunton GIF by Spice GirlsVideo Game 90S GIF by Melanie C

Fun fact: Mel B did actually make a second album, the label I work for released it! It's more acoustic, it's a decent effort, not majorly pop though. It was supposed to reflect the type of music she grew up on :tbh:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
23 minutes ago, BabyBabyBay said:

Fun fact: Mel B did actually make a second album, the label I work for released it! It's more acoustic, it's a decent effort, not majorly pop though. It was supposed to reflect the type of music she grew up on :tbh:

I heard the album was recorded in her kitchen. Rumor but very allegedly 

53 minutes ago, BabyBabyBay said:

I absolute love Sweet Pleasure. It could have been a great single (w/ an equally good music video).

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

You mean Telestar. Virgin dropped Victoria beckham

Oddly only Melanie C got to do a second album for Virgin but she was dropped when Reason bombed. 

Virgin Records mishandled the Solo Spice Girls. They literally had four megastars on their hands (Geri's deal was w/ EMI), and they let them slip away. They should have promoted the Solo Spice Girls to the same extent they did the Spice Girls (on a worldwide basis w/ all the TV adverts, radio airplay, merchandising, etc.).

1 hour ago, Arckangel said:

Virgin Records mishandled the Solo Spice Girls. They literally had four megastars on their hands (Geri's deal was w/ EMI), and they let them slip away. They should have promoted the Solo Spice Girls to the same extent they did the Spice Girls (on a worldwide basis w/ all the TV adverts, radio airplay, merchandising, etc.).

If you listen to The Spice girls podcast on spotify. 

A huge fan. Said. Virgin messed up several times. EMI which Geri was sogned to was a three album deal. She was the only Spice to basically complete her end of the contractual agreement 

5 minutes ago, Avatar said:

Victorias shelved rnb album is my favorite, then a few Mel C singles. I don't see the appeal in Geri, Mel Bs and Emmas music 

Omg thanks for loving my album, Avie. :barbie:

You don't like Geri's? But they're the most fun. Are you not a h0e, Avie? :idkney:

Just now, Roxxy said:

Omg thanks for loving my album, Avie. :barbie:

You don't like Geri's? But they're the most fun. Are you not a h0e, Avie? :idkney:

I didn't hear most of their solo music until like 10 plus years later, so I don't really have any connection to it when they were released and any nostalgia.

Most of their solo songs sound like bad spice demos that the other girls hadnt gotten a chance to add their parts yet :yesokay:

Mel B and Emma are two of the strongest in the group, but apart from each other it just sounds flat for me.

GrossHonoredGeese-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Avatar said:

I didn't hear most of their solo music until like 10 plus years later, so I don't really have any connection to it when they were released and any nostalgia.

Most of their solo songs sound like bad spice demos that the other girls hadnt gotten a chance to add their parts yet 

Mel B and Emma are two of the strongest in the group, but apart from each other it just sounds flat for me.

Ahhh. Well, yeah cause all of them are dated by now tbh. If I think about it, it is the nostalgia that makes me really enjoy them and it wouldn't make sense anymore hearing it for the first time 10 years after. I actually only followed their music during the 2000s. I haven't listened to any of their releases in the 2010s. :imcute:

Furthermore, I don't listen to their albums that much. I just have them for my music library just cause. But as far as solo Spice material is concerned, I only really listen to my Solo Spice Singles Discography playlist. :prettyney:

2 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Ahhh. Well, yeah cause all of them are dated by now tbh. If I think about it, it is the nostalgia that makes me really enjoy them and it wouldn't make sense anymore hearing it for the first time 10 years after. I actually only followed their music during the 2000s. I haven't listened to any of their releases in the 2010s. :imcute:

Furthermore, I don't listen to their albums that much. I just have them for my music library just cause. But as far as solo Spice material is concerned, I only really listen to my Solo Spice Singles Discography playlist. :prettyney:

I don't like the Forever album either :yesokay:

• Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block