Who had the bigger peak? Katy Perry or Ariana Grande?

1 hour ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

California Gurls and Firework are the only ones that aren’t forgettable. And you did compare when you said not even Britney had that many #1 singles Ten years into her career but Katy managed it in 1 year and era. And it was 2 years and an extended era from adding more singles to an extended version of an album cause she was desperate for hits. That’s why she kept remixing her singles after ET. 

3 hours ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Yet Britney charted #123 with a four year old Japanese bonus track and Perry peaked about 15 spots higher with HIH. Britney in her prime regardless of chart positions was untouchable by even Perry in ha prime. Chart positions have nothing to do with Britney’s legacy. If you did a little more research you would know why each had their single peaks when they did and the politics behind it all. 6 #1 singles barely anyone remembers except for a handful and propelled by .69 discounts and remixes to chart that high :tiffcackle:

Katy comes and will never come near to what Britney is in her prime. That's a FACT. And it's a unanimous fact no one can disagree on. 

But you don't really have to belittle the impact Teenage Dream had singles wise. Sis none of them are forgotten that easily by today's standards for songs from a decade back. Most kids my age (many of my peers as well) knows most of Katy's singles from that era with the lyrics. Cali Gurls, Firework, E.T., TGIF, TOTGA (which didn't even go #1) are well remembered actually. And yes, remixes were employed to get E.T. to #1 but that was almost a widely used strategy to get any song to peak high in the early 2010s music scene right? S&M and TTWE are also examples. The Missy Elliott remix of TGIF was a non event, and sales show that the original song supersedes the remix by a huge gap. A pivotal reason why the singles of TD peaked high is because they were all very radio friendly and had huge radio support and sales. Firework is certified Diamond, with E.T. 10x Platinum eligible as of last week and Cali Gurls 9x. Let's not even bring Prism era into this.

Substantiating this is the YT and Spotify stats of these songs. 7/8 singles from the era has more than 500M views and each track gets upto 200k daily on Spotify as well. Not many hits from 2010 has the same stats, even Tik Tok which was Song Of The Year by Billboard that year doesn't have these values.

We don't even have to compare Britney and Katy. Britney is on a whole another league, a level of massive Katy never was and Britney never needed the help of chart success to establish that. @Blackout2006never undermined Britney's legacy nor did he connect chart success with her impact but merely just pointed out that Katy had a string of #1s from one era, which even current pop stars like Taylor Swift doesn't have from her whole career. 

<3

Spoiler

And HIH was a surprise Wednesday release but let's not get into that :yesokay:

• Love 3
  • Content Curators
5 minutes ago, PARKBOM said:

Is this really a question?

Ariana has a Grammy!

and Katy has .. well...

tenor.gif

Um... 

well as much as I love to boast on my stan twitter acct for shaki that Shakira has 15 (both Latin and US combined) Grammys. That does not define an artist at all. I mean just look at how much Mariah was snubbed back in the day despite being literally one of the best singers of all time. Both katy and Ariana deserve more Grammys 

• Love 2
  • Like 4
19 minutes ago, Britneyarmy8 said:

Um... 

well as much as I love to boast on my stan twitter acct for shaki that Shakira has 15 (both Latin and US combined) Grammys. That does not define an artist at all. I mean just look at how much Mariah was snubbed back in the day despite being literally one of the best singers of all time. Both katy and Ariana deserve more Grammys 

It’s a good boasting that you do.

Shakira is a legend.

I’ve loved her since Pies Descalzos until now and for always..

but Katy could never be that kind of artist.

Ariana has and will always have more talent.

tbh, I don’t even think she’s peaked yet, but Katy, we have yet to see what her career will even become.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PARKBOM said:

Is this really a question?

Ariana has a Grammy!

and Katy has .. well...

tenor.gif

Sis if I wanted to know who has more Grammy's I'd just google it. That was never the question and you missed my point. I was curious to know who had a bigger peak, not who was the better artist or who has a Grammy and I never did compare their artistry. My question was merely, who was bigger in their prime and you've made it clear that you have a default inclination to Ariana and a slight hate towards katy so you won't be able to answer this objectively but thank you for the opinion <3 

Spoiler

As far as Grammys go, we as Britney fans should know a thing or two. Christina has 5, Britney has 1 but that doesn't make Christina the bigger or better artist does it?

• Love 4

The question is what is "bigger"? Because this could be approached from many different perspectives. Numbers? Records? Awards? Talent? worldwide recognition?? Iconic images? We all know Britney's singles never had big numbers and yet, her iconic images transcended way beyond those of singers with probably bigger numbers.

Queen was never a big numbers band and I think it is one of the biggest bands ever.

So, with these two, up to this point I think, at their peaks, Katy was bigger but maybe Ariana will have a longer career.

• Love 2

I find it a bit interesting how everybody's talking about Katy Perry's being so much more global than Ariana. Im from North Macedonia, and though Ariana's popularity was more gradual (there was not that many people mentioning her pre Dangerous Woman, and the follow-up Sweetener was perceived as lukewarm), Katy Perry's popularity was really churning out only hit singles here and there. BUT nobody really cared for Katy Perry - everybody was just listening to the songs they were fed from the radio stations. In this way, I don't think Katy Perry ever built a solid international fan base. Sure, radio supported her, but tbh I am into pop culture and I do not have a single friend in Macedonia that has mentioned Katy Perry as one of his favorites. She is rather forgettable. 

I am not delving into talent since I do not think it's even a fight (Ariana has got one of the best voices in pop music right now). 

If you talk about being big on numbers, streaming, videos and support in the US - I guess a lot of you guys know better, and it seems Katy's peak is unparalleled, but tbh I am not at all surprised that Katy Perry's career has taken a huge dip. She has been a one-trick pony music-wise, and she had that proved when she tried to burst out of her safe zone after too many years of general public friendly generic hits. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

It's the same with Taylor Swift. I don't know if in the US she got famous since her first album, but outside of the US nobody knew her, until many years later when she started going more pop. 

I've seen the charts here in Spain and some singles from her first 2 albums were kind of big here, maybe just on the airplay charts but still, and Spain is a big market, idk for other countries tho

• Like 2
5 hours ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Katy comes and will never come near to what Britney is in her prime. That's a FACT. And it's a unanimous fact no one can disagree on. 

But you don't really have to belittle the impact Teenage Dream had singles wise. Sis none of them are forgotten that easily by today's standards for songs from a decade back. Most kids my age (many of my peers as well) knows most of Katy's singles from that era with the lyrics. Cali Gurls, Firework, E.T., TGIF, TOTGA (which didn't even go #1) are well remembered actually. And yes, remixes were employed to get E.T. to #1 but that was almost a widely used strategy to get any song to peak high in the early 2010s music scene right? S&M and TTWE are also examples. The Missy Elliott remix of TGIF was a non event, and sales show that the original song supersedes the remix by a huge gap. A pivotal reason why the singles of TD peaked high is because they were all very radio friendly and had huge radio support and sales. Firework is certified Diamond, with E.T. 10x Platinum eligible as of last week and Cali Gurls 9x. Let's not even bring Prism era into this.

Substantiating this is the YT and Spotify stats of these songs. 7/8 singles from the era has more than 500M views and each track gets upto 200k daily on Spotify as well. Not many hits from 2010 has the same stats, even Tik Tok which was Song Of The Year by Billboard that year doesn't have these values.

We don't even have to compare Britney and Katy. Britney is on a whole another league, a level of massive Katy never was and Britney never needed the help of chart success to establish that. @Blackout2006never undermined Britney's legacy nor did he connect chart success with her impact but merely just pointed out that Katy had a string of #1s from one era, which even current pop stars like Taylor Swift doesn't have from her whole career. 

<3

Hide contents

This ❤️
Almost everyone knows most of these songs from my age group. They are still remembered so much. Plus, u had a strong point with the remix thing.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

<3

Hide contents

Yeah the remix strategy she started with ET. Doesn’t matter about non events or whatnots she knew what she was doing and that’s why she also released a B.O.B remix is TOTGA. You don’t have to point out charts for me when it involves her. I was a big fan of hers back then and that is exactly what put me off from her was how desperate she was for her chart success. California Gurls, Teenage Dream, Firework definitely deserved what they got. I wish she released E.T on her own to see what it could’ve accomplished. Even that one I’ll give to her. All the ones after that from that era? Without the gimmicks I don’t think they deserved the chart peaks they got. At all. Not even top 40 material. I get you’re a Katy stan and I get defensive too when people come for my faves, but one can’t deny that she started the fad of discount singles and countless remixes to chart higher. ET remix came before the songs you mentioned like TTWE and S&M. 

As for the undermining? Britney’s charts should’ve never been brought into the discussion regarding how big Katy was in comparison to Ariana. As we all concluded she was on an entirely different league and her chart success would’ve been much higher if it weren’t for her team being strategic in marketing her as an albums artist and leaving a lot of her singles as radio releases only. Additionally, the radio ban was also in effect for some time. You can mention Katy’s #1s without bringing Britney into it by saying not even she accomplished that in ten years what Katy did in one. If that’s not trying to say Katy was more successful than Britney then idk what is. That’s all I’ll say on this though. It’s not that deep 

• Love 2

If we're talking about chart success, then Katy obviously had the bigger peak. The whole Teenage Dream album was like the perfect pop girl era;  I don't even like Katy that much, but even I accept that she scalped all my faves from 2010 through 2012. In terms of acclaim and talent though, Ariana has the bigger peak. I suspect that Ariana will probably surpass Katy's 9 #1 singles count in the next couple of years.

• Love 1
  • Like 2
53 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:
9 hours ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Yeah the remix strategy she started with ET. Doesn’t matter about non events or whatnots she knew what she was doing and that’s why she also released a B.O.B remix is TOTGA. You don’t have to point out charts for me when it involves her. I was a big fan of hers back then and that is exactly what put me off from her was how desperate she was for her chart success. California Gurls, Teenage Dream, Firework definitely deserved what they got. I wish she released E.T on her own to see what it could’ve accomplished. Even that one I’ll give to her. All the ones after that from that era? Without the gimmicks I don’t think they deserved the chart peaks they got. At all. Not even top 40 material. I get you’re a Katy stan and I get defensive too when people come for my faves, but one can’t deny that she started the fad of discount singles and countless remixes to chart higher. ET remix came before the songs you mentioned like TTWE and S&M

:katycream:

Music is subjective so there's nothing really I can add to this because I for one definitely think that the TD singles did infact deserve their positions because imo they were better than half the songs from other artists that went #1 those years and saying those songs aren't even top 40 material... Well :yesokay: But it is interesting how much she grew as a person. From the chart hungry #1 pop star to the woman Katheryn is now.

53 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

As for the undermining? Britney’s charts should’ve never been brought into the discussion regarding how big Katy was in comparison to Ariana. As we all concluded she was on an entirely different league and her chart success would’ve been much higher if it weren’t for her team being strategic in marketing her as an albums artist and leaving a lot of her singles as radio releases only. Additionally, the radio ban was also in effect for some time. You can mention Katy’s #1s without bringing Britney into it by saying not even she accomplished that in ten years what Katy did in one. If that’s not trying to say Katy was more successful than Britney then idk what is. That’s all I’ll say on this though. It’s not that deep 

Well I'm sure anyone with basic sense can understand that Britney is incomparable to Katy and @Blackout2006 being a Britney fan is well aware of that im sure. Maybe it was the way he worded it or maybe it was the way you perceived it but it's just a misunderstanding from what I see. No one in their right mind would ever  say that Katy is more successful than Britney. It's just a small part from a big essay, take it easy :) I'm sure he understood your point as well <3

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Music is subjective so there's nothing really I can add to this because I for one definitely think that the TD singles did infact deserve their positions because imo they were better than half the songs from other artists that went #1 those years and saying those songs aren't even top 40 material... Well :yesokay: But it is interesting how much she grew as a person. From the chart hungry #1 pop star to the woman Katheryn is now.

Well I'm sure anyone with basic sense can understand that Britney is incomparable to Katy and @Blackout2006 being a Britney fan is well aware of that im sure. Maybe it was the way he worded it or maybe it was the way you perceived it but it's just a misunderstanding from what I see. No one in their right mind would ever  say that Katy is more successful than Britney. It's just a small part from a big essay, take it easy :) I'm sure he understood your point as well <3

The real reason I’m pressed is Peacock never got the single treatment yet was a bop and a half :haha: I don’t even like Firework but can’t deny the impact it had 

• Haha 3
18 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

The real reason I’m pressed is Peacock never got the single treatment yet was a bop and a half :haha: I don’t even like Firework but can’t deny the impact it had 

Even Hummingbird Heartbeat was sent to Australian radios but not Peacock :fakecry: The adult bop that got away :snort:

Also sis, you don't like Firework??!! THE FIREWORK?!! The childhood defining song of every late 2000s kid?!? :ohwut: You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine just own the night like the fourth of July :howdareyou:

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
4 minutes ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Even Hummingbird Heartbeat was sent to Australian radios but not Peacock :fakecry: The adult bop that got away :snort:

Also sis, you don't like Firework??!! THE FIREWORK?!! The childhood defining song of every late 2000s kid?!? :ohwut: You just gotta ignite the light and let it shine just own the night like the fourth of July :howdareyou:

I’m more of a California Gurls man :lizzie:

• Haha 3
  • Like 1
On 6/10/2020 at 3:27 AM, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

Serious question. I'm asking this as an unbiased pop culture enthusiast rather than a Katy Perry stan or an Ariana Grande fan I am. 

With all that's going around Ariana Grande lately she's clearly in the peak era of her career. Sweetener proved that she was a streaming force and she was slowly grasping at the root of the Main Pop Girl status when the No Tears Left To Cry performed really well on the charts. Then she chose to make one of the best commercial moves any pop star has made by halting the whole era and starting a new one within a 6 month period titled Thank U, Next. The lead single was a phenomenon, debuting at #1 while breaking streaming records on iTunes, Spotify and YouTube. 7 Rings only helped carry the era even further and is undoubtedly a defining song of 2019 and dare I say the biggest hit of the year only behind Old Town Road. 7 Rings, Break Up With Ur Gf and Thank U Next owned the top 3 of the Hot 100 at the same time was the first time any solo artist did it. The album did amazing as well, charting all 12 songs within the top 50 on the release week while also garnering critical acclaim and awards. Every appearance she made became news and she even helped a virtually unknown group called Social House get a top 10. A moderately performing tour supported the era with great reviews. She also became an internet personality surpassing Selena Gomez as the most followed person on Instagram. In 2020 she scored 2 #1 debuts, totalling to 4 to her name. She still shows no signs of stopping.

Katy Perry rose to fame with I Kissed A Girl, where she used controversy to propel her career. The song became a WW hit bring named one of the biggest breakout debuts reigning the #1 spot for 7 weeks. Her debut era would later spawn 2 more top 10s. But Perry was straying away from her Pop-Rock beginnings with the release of her second record Teenage Dream. With the album, Katy shot through to position of biggest pop star at the time with 6 #1 singles (8 top 10s in total) with California Gurls, Teenage Dream, Firework, E.T., Last Friday Night and Part Of Me. She received the Spotlight Award for this achievement, something only previously achieved by Michael Jacson. Her personal life was also a branch for the public to grab on, we Perry orchestrated a Girl Next Door popstar image, with an undeniable s3x appeal. Katy also released a moderately successful biopic Part Of Me at the time. TD was labelled as one of the most important pop albums of the time but Katy was only beginning her road to super stardom and that came with her next record Prism. The album spawned the mega hit singles Roar and Dark Horse, the former being the biggest selling solo female songs this century. Roar, DH and Firework would later be certified Diamond, making Perry the first female artist to have 3 diamond singles. The Prismatic World Tour also managed to crack the list of the highest grossing female tours of all time. Additionally, Perry was also a streaming force dominating the YouTube platform being the most viewed female channel and 2nd overall only behind Justin Bieber, Roar becoming the first female video to hit 3 Billion, and a total of 7 videos over 900 Million. Arguably, the apex of her career was the 2015 Superbowl Halftime Show, which garnered 120 Million viewers, making it the most viewed Halftime Show of all time.

There are a few similarities with the peaks of both these artists- their billboard records, their very recognisable looks (blue wig for katy and the ponytail for Ariana), and fair share of a controversial personal life. Katy's career went downhill after 2016 due to a list of very bad career moves but Ariana's shot through after 2018 because of very wise career moves. But my question is, who had the bigger peak? 

Katy Perry: 2010-2015 or Ariana Grande: 2019 and continuing?

512061E9-ED5D-4D61-A735-C8AAFD3FC190.jpeg

Well, Katy has a big peek at her second album and doing world tour, the falldown of katy is after Witness. 

And Ariana she came in 2013 with yours truly, them her second album, them her 3rd album, but the biggest peak is her last album thank u next.

im like both them, but katy is katy , ariana need more hours of flight.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

:sendinglove:

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block