Who had the bigger peak? Katy Perry or Ariana Grande?

It's Katy. However I do think Ariana had a longer, gradual, and consistent trajectory. Katy's trajectory was similar to Britney's (but not as high) where it was a very quick rise and fall. :mhm:

Ariana started out moderate but AG2 onwards, she wasn't peaking yet but she was already very strong. 4 top 10s during AG2. And then she only got bigger and bigger per era. I think her peak started in 2018 via Sweetener and not during thank u, next. :barbie:

• Love 2
  • Like 2

While I don't like either of those artists, as part of the "GP" for both, I definitely think Katy Perry had the biggest peak. I don't know about sales or streams or whatever you use to measure a "peak" but at least in terms of how well known an artist is, or their songs, it's definitely Katy Perry, at least in an international scale.

That doesn't mean Ariana can't reach her or surpass her in the future, since, as you said, there's still no sign of her stopping. 

2 hours ago, Dark.Knight said:

I think Ariana has a had a longer peak but Katy's was bigger

And I think it's also important to notice how long it took for Ariana just to reach the place where she's at right now. Katy became super famous since her first single (well, I ignore if she released something before I Kissed a Girl) while Ariana was a lesser known artist (but known after all) for a while before actually having huge hits, or more than hits, having a presence in the music scene and in the GP's minds.

And while not trying to diminish Ariana's success or talent, I also think the circumstances really helped her a lot. By that, I mean, I think a huge part of her success is due to her really not having a strong competition. Back in the day Katy was still competing with Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Adele, and even older acts like Britney, Beyoncé, Pink, etc. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Katy.  She Had #9 Number 1’s During Her Peak, A Few #1 Albums And Was On Top Of The World.  Love Her Or Hate Her No One Was Bigger Than Her From 2009 - 2013.  
      With That Being Said, Ariana Will Have More Longevity, She’s In Her Peak Right Now And Will Continue To Be Until AG6 Or AG7, Katy Is Flopping Hard Now And If She Doesn’t Do Something Soon, Ariana Will Surpass Her.  

• Love 1
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Well, here’s my take.

Katy Perry peak was much higher, because when she came out it was CRAZY. You can ask any GenZer about Katy Perry and they will get instant memories of bopping to her. In the teenage dream era, she just became HUGE. I mean,  Katy might have not had 3 singles dominating the top 3, but is the only artist to have 6 #1s in one era. Some people (like Britney, ugh :wontcry:) don’t even have that much no.1s despite being 10 years in their career, yet Katy managed to have out-reached that within a year and era. :rlynow:Fireworks is arguably, the most covered song on earth. Everyone knows that song, kids used to (and still to this day) sing that song for functions or competitions. Prism just furthered the success of Katy Perry more. She released Roar and again, that was the end of other pop stars:mae: . 2 billion views, straight no.1 debut shot, and 14 million copies sold. Even Taylor Swift at that time couldn’t beat Katy during the Prism era, and yes...I said it :sneer: Everyone rememberers that era. Even Beyoncé was over-shadowed by the era. Plus, the Halftime...the Halftime....The FREAKING Halftime performance :gloriascary: that was just, legendary. :blast: that drew NFL, it’s most viewership (120 FREAKING MILLION VIEWERS :overit:). At that point, Katy Perry was unstoppable, no one could be her obstacle as she could easily tackle and in fact, kick them to the galaxy.THAT was untillllllllll......

Reveal hidden contents

Witness :imok:

explosion GIF
(Katy’s career)

However, you can still say that Katy’s peak era lasted for very long. From 2008-2015. That’s like 8 years. She managed to rule a quarter of the last decade.

However, props to Ariana Grande. People act like she has just got popular, when she has been since 2014. Just that she has reached her peak. T,UN was definitely Aris Teenage dream era. Plus, Ariana revived pop at a time when it had died and when hip-hop and rap and trap were thriving.Now look where we are, pop is the most populous genre than hip-hop.

@ILikeChillinWithYou

Do you remember all of the remixes and payola that capitol used to get those songs to #1 though? Those weren’t organic #1’s. I lived for Katy during the teenage dream era though. But let’s be real, longevity is more important than #1’s. See: Katy’s career post 2016

• Love 1
  • Like 3

Ariana will be more remembered and take a similar path as Britney, Gaga etc. Whereas I think Katy will have less staying power as she becomes a legacy act. 

However, Katy’s peak is bigger than Arianas (at the moment). I could see that changing though if Ariana keeps it up for another 2-3 years.

Katy was big enough to do the Super Bowl, I feel like Ariana isn’t there yet. I just don’t think Katy was ever as interesting to the public as many of her counterparts.

just my take!

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Katy had an episode with the Simpsons.  A live action one. Not an animated one. 

She had a cameo with Elmo on sesame street that was ultimately cancelled after a huge uproar in her sexualized outfit..

Which is understandable. Given sesame street is for infants and toddlers. Why would she wear that outfit on a show for kids. 

Ariana's peak  basically happened on her fifth album. Even though it's highly believed she benefited off the death of mac Miller and her ex boyfriends.  Hell pete davidson was also very suicidal and blamed her fans for making his depression worse. Which Ariana did try to tell her fans on Twitter to leave him alone. He did nothing wrong  and didn't deserve the treatment..

Katy benefited off of the weird girl antics of lady gaga. Though Katy made it more comical and campy in a humorous way. 

Where lady gaga was a dark kind of camp. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Roxxy said:

However I do think Ariana had a longer, gradual, and consistent trajectory. Katy's trajectory was similar to Britney's (but not as high) where it was a very quick rise and fall. :mhm:

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

Katy became super famous since her first single (well, I ignore if she released something before I Kissed a Girl)

While a part of me agrees with this, there was a lot that went in with Katy's life pre-I Kissed A Girl. After the gospel record she moved to LA by herself and performed at bars and clubs with self written songs and was picked up and dropped by 2 record labels while struggling to complete her debut album. She also had to partake background vocal gigs and even participated in an uncredited Matrix album while contributing to 2 unreleased albums she wrote between 2004-2007 before One Of The Boys was released, all without support from her family's side. Katy supposedly wrote over 80 songs in this period (a majority of which has leaked now), many of which were given as demos to Kelly Clarkson and other artists. Try giving the song "Lost" and "I'm Still Breathing" from her debut a listen. So no, Katy did not have it the easy way and make it big on her first try, but I Kissed A Girl was such an electric debut moment as well.

As for Britney, Lynne worked hard to make Britney known, and she was already a local celebrity for MMC right? After Jive signed her with one Toni Braxton demo, most of BOMT was given to her, with much less involvement of herself in the making of the album. Britney shot through the roof easily with her debut, reviving a declining genre. 

I'd say both had very different career beginnings, but share a huge debut moment, although IKAG will never match BOMT.

1 hour ago, OnlyFacts said:

Ariana has been successful for 5 albums. Katy was successful for 3. Ariana wins this.

Ariana debuted in 2013 with an already successful TV show beginning and she released 5 albums. Katy debuted in 2008 out of nowhere and since then she has only released 4 albums. I'd say this is due to Katy having a lot more input into her albums as well as having "complete-pop-eras" like Teenage Dream which lasted for 3 years almost. And can you really call Yours Truly a success? So that's why I listed her peak has 2018 and beyond. But I get what you mean.

And as you said 6 #1s record is impressive but Ariana broke an evenly matched record of occupying the top 3 simultaneously. Both had big billboard achievements. Also, I'm more curious about only their peak eras and not in terms of longevity. I can see Ariana with a much brighter career ahead when the same can't be said for Katy, but who was bigger when both were at the apex of their careers?

1 hour ago, PokemonSpears said:

And while not trying to diminish Ariana's success or talent, I also think the circumstances really helped her a lot. By that, I mean, I think a huge part of her success is due to her really not having a strong competition. Back in the day Katy was still competing with Rihanna, Lady Gaga, Adele, and even older acts like Britney, Beyoncé, Pink, etc. 

I hadn't thought about this. Very true.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

While a part of me agrees with this, there was a lot that went in with Katy's life pre-I Kissed A Girl. After the gospel record she moved to LA by herself and performed at bars and clubs with self written songs and was picked up and dropped by 2 record labels while struggling to complete her debut album. She also had to partake background vocal gigs and even participated in an uncredited Matrix album while contributing to 2 unreleased albums she wrote between 2004-2007 before One Of The Boys was released, all without support from her family's side. Katy supposedly wrote over 80 songs in this period, many of which were given as demos to Kelly Clarkson and other artists. So no, Katy did not have it the easy way and make it big on her first try, but I Kissed A Girl was such an electric debut moment as well.

As for Britney, Lynne worked hard to make Britney known, and she was already a local celebrity for MMC right? After Jive signed her with one Toni Braxton demo, most of BOMT was given to her, with much less involvement of herself in the making of the album. Britney shot through the roof easily with her debut, reviving a declining genre. 

I'd say both had very different career beginnings, but share a huge debut moment, although IKAG will never match BOMT.

I wasn't talking that much about the previous work they did before becoming famous. I did know she had released a gospel record before, and I'm sure it wasn't easy to get to record her first album, at least the first album known to the public. What I was saying is that when she finally released her first single (or whatever number it was in her discography, but the first big single known to the public) I Kissed a Girl, it became a hit, and then she released more songs I guess, but I only remember Hot and Cold which was very popular too. But to me, and most of the people, that was her true beginning, and she got success since that very first moment. Same with Britney and BOMT.

But Ariana, was not only already known for her Nickelodeon shows, as far as I remember, she had already released that obnoxious song where she's like walking down the street or something, that MTV pushed so hard to make it happen :wontcry: and then I think she released something with Mika? I don't know which happened first, but the thing is, I already knew who she was, she was already doing music, and nothing really big was happening with her, until much later (or I don't know how MUCH, but it felt like a lot of time before people and the media really started portraying her as a force in the industry). Not that it takes away from her talent or the success she ultimately got, but it does make it feel less natural when it takes them several attempts before making it big, as opposed to making hits since the beginning.

It's the same with Taylor Swift. I don't know if in the US she got famous since her first album, but outside of the US nobody knew her, until many years later when she started going more pop. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
12 hours ago, Blackout2006 said:

Well, here’s my take.

Katy Perry peak was much higher, because when she came out it was CRAZY. You can ask any GenZer about Katy Perry and they will get instant memories of bopping to her. In the teenage dream era, she just became HUGE. I mean,  Katy might have not had 3 singles dominating the top 3, but is the only artist to have 6 #1s in one era. Some people (like Britney, ugh :wontcry:) don’t even have that much no.1s despite being 10 years in their career, yet Katy managed to have out-reached that within a year and era. :rlynow:Fireworks is arguably, the most covered song on earth. Everyone knows that song, kids used to (and still to this day) sing that song for functions or competitions. Prism just furthered the success of Katy Perry more. She released Roar and again, that was the end of other pop stars:mae: . 2 billion views, straight no.1 debut shot, and 14 million copies sold. Even Taylor Swift at that time couldn’t beat Katy during the Prism era, and yes...I said it :sneer: Everyone rememberers that era. Even Beyoncé was over-shadowed by the era. Plus, the Halftime...the Halftime....The FREAKING Halftime performance :gloriascary: that was just, legendary. :blast: that drew NFL, it’s most viewership (120 FREAKING MILLION VIEWERS :overit:). At that point, Katy Perry was unstoppable, no one could be her obstacle as she could easily tackle and in fact, kick them to the galaxy.THAT was untillllllllll......

Reveal hidden contents

Witness :imok:

explosion GIF
(Katy’s career)

However, you can still say that Katy’s peak era lasted for very long. From 2008-2015. That’s like 8 years. She managed to rule a quarter of the last decade.

However, props to Ariana Grande. People act like she has just got popular, when she has been since 2014. Just that she has reached her peak. T,UN was definitely Aris Teenage dream era. Plus, Ariana revived pop at a time when it had died and when hip-hop and rap and trap were thriving.Now look where we are, pop is the most populous genre than hip-hop.

@ILikeChillinWithYou

Yet Britney charted #123 with a four year old Japanese bonus track and Perry peaked about 15 spots higher with HIH. Britney in her prime regardless of chart positions was untouchable by even Perry in ha prime. Chart positions have nothing to do with Britney’s legacy. If you did a little more research you would know why each had their single peaks when they did and the politics behind it all. 6 #1 singles barely anyone remembers except for a handful and propelled by .69 discounts and remixes to chart that high :tiffcackle:

• Love 2
  • Haha 2
  • Like 1

I feel like the general public likes and sympathizes with Ariana more as a person than they ever did with Katy. Katy obvs broke records and had a massssssive streak with TD, most of which are forgettable, aside from a select few but, ET, TGIF, and Part of Me going #1 was unwarranted. 

Ariana also has, in my opinion, a stronger discography with stronger, more cohesive albums while the vast majority of Katy’s is pretty vague and radio friendly, which is why she had such a high peak in the first place, but at the same time, we never really got to know her outside her doc. 

I actually really appreciate Katy Perry and she doesn’t deserve to get swept under the rug. 365, Never Really Over, and Harleys in Hawaii are fantastic! I genuinely thought she was going to be one of the top names again last summer. I blame the general public for having poor taste.

• Love 3
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Yet Britney charted #123 with a four year old Japanese bonus track and Perry peaked about 15 spots higher with HIH. Britney in her prime regardless of chart positions was untouchable by even Perry in ha prime. Chart positions have nothing to do with Britney’s legacy. If you did a little more research you would know why each had their single peaks when they did and the politics behind it all. 6 #1 singles barely anyone remembers except for a handful and propelled by .69 discounts and remixes to chart that high :tiffcackle:

So your telling me, that songs like teenage dream, California gurl, TGIF (Last Friday night), Firework were forgetttable? :shocked:How can anyone forget about those songs. The songs that basically dominated 2010 :whitneyshade: Plus, I didn’t compare them both.

• Love 2
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, Roxxy said:

It's Katy. However I do think Ariana had a longer, gradual, and consistent trajectory. Katy's trajectory was similar to Britney's (but not as high) where it was a very quick rise and fall. :mhm:

Ariana started out moderate but AG2 onwards, she wasn't peaking yet but she was already very strong. 4 top 10s during AG2. And then she only got bigger and bigger per era. I think her peak started in 2018 via Sweetener and not during thank u, next. :barbie:

Actually it was T,UN. Because Sweetener at the time “underperformed”. Plus she was still struggling personally and the album was getting so much hate around the time of its release and just wasn’t it.

• Love 1
  • Like 1

Katy Perry. She was big from 2006-2015.

I Kissed A Girl

Hot’N’Cold

California Girls ( we know original song, don’t we?) and all singles from that era were amazing. Pure pop perfection while there was so big competition with other pop girls...now only Ariana in pop world and ..Dua Lipa. If Ariana would be then she was lost among others.

• Love 2
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, OnlyFacts said:

Ariana has been successful for 5 albums. Katy was successful for 3. Ariana wins this.

5 #1’s from a single album is cool, but longevity is better. Ariana takes the W

6 hours ago, OnlyFacts said:

Do you remember all of the remixes and payola that capitol used to get those songs to #1 though? Those weren’t organic #1’s. I lived for Katy during the teenage dream era though. But let’s be real, longevity is more important than #1’s. See: Katy’s career post 2016

I totally get what yr saying. But Ariana hadn’t reached her peak until 2019. She was very popular in My everything and dangerous woman era, but wasn’t the main pop girl. You know? It was only until T,UN she totally peaked into new heights and would have been the hugest artist of 2019 if it were not for Billie. However, Ari is still yet to reach Katy’s peak. From 2010-2014, Katy was just...VERY huge. You could compare it to Britney’s in terms of popularity, even tho brit was far more famous. I can say this because I myself, went through the Katy’s prime era, and I was a huge KatyCat. I still remember me and my classmates singing roar and fireworks and everyone loved Katy Perry. Her music was just everywhere. I even remember playing Katy Perry’s birthday song to my brother b’day. She was very popular. Now that I saw T,UN era start and end, it was a big era, but not comparable to Teenage dream and Prism.

• Love 2
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

So your telling me, that songs like teenage dream, California gurl, TGIF (Last Friday night), Firework were forgetttable? :shocked:How can anyone forget about those songs. The songs that basically dominated 2010 :whitneyshade: Plus, I didn’t compare them both.

California Gurls and Firework are the only ones that aren’t forgettable. And you did compare when you said not even Britney had that many #1 singles Ten years into her career but Katy managed it in 1 year and era. And it was 2 years and an extended era from adding more singles to an extended version of an album cause she was desperate for hits. That’s why she kept remixing her singles after ET. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

California Gurls and Firework are the only ones that aren’t forgettable. And you did compare when you said not even Britney had that many #1 singles Ten years into her career but Katy managed it in 1 year and era. And it was 2 years and an extended era from adding more singles to an extended version of an album cause she was desperate for hits. That’s why she kept remixing her singles after ET. 

Oh well, any other way, Katy was huge in 2010-2014 :mattafact:  

• Love 2
  • Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block