How is this possible? Mood Ring related

Million Billion

An official certified billboard account on Twitter has just posted this brief ranking (sorry, I don't know how to embeed a tweet from the phone) I finally found the option on the phone, cause it didnt show up  :)

My question is, how a song like Mood Ring can be the 2nd best selling song and not enter in the Hot 100 chart??? I am so confused right now. I honestly never expected Mood Ring to chart, (which it didn't) I didn't want to hype myself up but after seeing that tweet I am very confused, how is that possible? I wouldn't expect a #1 ofc but at least a top 50 considering it was the SECOND BEST FREAKING SELLING SONG OF THE WEEK 

Are they different charts? What are the rules to actually chart? I am very confused now :watrusayin:

*UPDATED

I have just searched those songs on the official Hot 100 list and what makes me feel even much more confused is that ALL THOSE SONGS MANAGED TO CHART IN THE LIST, ALL THOSE SONGS EXCEPT FOR, GUESS WHICH ONE? :schoolingtime:

3 of them are TOP 5 except for One Margarita de Luke Bryan which is at #44

I really DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THAT **** WORKS NOW???!!! IT WAS CONFUSED BEFORE, AND NOW IT IS SENSELESS!!!!!:weirdmeout::slowdown:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sales mean nothing in terms of the hot 100. there are basically three main factors. Streams, Radioplay, and physical sales. Mood Ring wasn't serviced to radio, so there were almost no radio play whatsoever. Streaming numbers were incredibly awful, and everyone was streaming Gaga's new Chromatica which drove a lot of her songs on the charts, which lowered Britney's chance even more of getting on the chart. 

32 minutes ago, Buffybot said:

No offense, but I'm surprised. So many fans thought itunes had relevance in 2020. Wow.

It's not that we didn't know this, or that we were expecting Mood Ring to land at #1 just because it was #1 on iTunes, but that doesn't make it any less ironic to think that the second most sold song of the week can't even make it at #100.

Like, k, we get it, this is the future and we're old, but one thing is to say that streaming has gotten more importance over the years, and another thing is to realize that sales don't matter, almost at all.

It would be interesting to see if it's really more important for the artists to have more streams, by that I mean, are they really making more money that way? Did whoever landed at #100 make more money out of just streaming than Mood Ring as the second top selling song?

• Content Curators
7 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

It's not that we didn't know this, or that we were expecting Mood Ring to land at #1 just because it was #1 on iTunes, but that doesn't make it any less ironic to think that the second most sold song of the week can't even make it at #100.

Like, k, we get it, this is the future and we're old, but one thing is to say that streaming has gotten more importance over the years, and another thing is to realize that sales don't matter, almost at all.

It would be interesting to see if it's really more important for the artists to have more streams, by that I mean, are they really making more money that way? Did whoever landed at #100 make more money out of just streaming than Mood Ring as the second top selling song?

That’s why all female pop stars release a vinyl even for their singles, but obviously B’s team doesn’t care about it charting.

You just have to copy the share link of the Twitter post and paste it on the thread directly. :qtbrit:

After all, I'm not surprised if Mood Ring is not on the TOP 100 of Billboard, remember people, it's not a single and didn't had any promotion from RCA. Let's wait for it being a single and have a music video if possible.

5 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

For what I know artists never made much money for selling music, with the stream era seems almost the same thing.

Actually that's why I keep streaming Britney music, the money going to "her" probably can't even pay the person who cleans her pool. The label keeps the biggest part of It... Adele and Gaga write and produce their own music, but we only see them on Forbes list when they had tours or residencies.

Britney concerts, projects like the Zone, perfume line, the future musical... The real money for "Britney", that's what feeds her empire.

Sales don't matter that much for hot 100 since 2018, for what I remember. During Glory days the streaming already had this bigger power, but sales still matter back then.

2018, Xtina reach 1 on itunes with the song with Demi, then backstreet boys had theirs too. That's when I had sure the impact of selling ended lmfao.

Mariah albuns went to number one on itunes, like Glitter, which inspired us with the justice for Glory thing... But It never charted on the actual album list.

So, I believe artists will never be completely safe If people only buy/stream their music.

6 hours ago, Buffybot said:

For what I know artists never made much money for selling music, with the stream era seems almost the same thing.

Actually that's why I keep streaming Britney music, the money going to "her" probably can't even pay the person who cleans her pool. The label keeps the biggest part of It... Adele and Gaga write and produce their own music, but we only see them on Forbes list when they had tours or residencies.

Britney concerts, projects like the Zone, perfume line, the future musical... The real money for "Britney", that's what feeds her empire.

Sales don't matter that much for hot 100 since 2018, for what I remember. During Glory days the streaming already had this bigger power, but sales still matter back then.

2018, Xtina reach 1 on itunes with the song with Demi, then backstreet boys had theirs too. That's when I had sure the impact of selling ended lmfao.

Mariah albuns went to number one on itunes, like Glitter, which inspired us with the justice for Glory thing... But It never charted on the actual album list.

So, I believe artists will never be completely safe If people only buy/stream their music.

Yeah, I know Christina and Backstreet Boys have reached the #1 recently, but one thing is to reach it, and then fall. Britney stayed there for almost 3 days and ultimately was the second best selling song of the week.

It'll never stop to amaze me to think that even with that feat, it wasn't enough for it to debut at #100 at least. Like, I wasn't even expecting a top 50 position, just literally that made the list. 

20 hours ago, MakeMeFweaky said:

and everyone was streaming Gaga's new Chromatica which drove a lot of her songs on the charts, which lowered Britney's chance even more of getting on the chart. 

But it's not like Gaga released 99 tracks :britstare11:

My point is, I was not expecting Mood Ring to chart at #1 of course but at least make it to the list, maybe around #50 to #100 

Well, this whole situation shows how important is to stream now. iTunes sales means nothing specially if we see how many copies were sold. 

A viral video, include the song in important/viral playlist on streaming services, and maybe help from old school forms like radio and iTunes could help, but now the most important thing is stream on YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music, Tidal and others.

Think about it for B10 (obviously if things don't change by then). And please left the excuse about your age/time to do it or how "small" this fandom is, because if we get the second most downloaded song of the week with a big album release at the same time, getting the most streamed song of the week could be easier. This is a work between the artist team, the record label and the fandom to catch the material to the GP eyes. :sendinglove:

19 hours ago, Buffybot said:

No offense, but I'm surprised. So many fans thought itunes had relevance in 2020. Wow.

Since BILLBOARD posted Mood Ring was the 2nd best selling song on the week I assume it includes sales, streams, views, radio play from everywhere not from only one single streaming service. That's my point, how can a song be the 2nd best selling song on the week but cant be included in a list of 100 best selling songs of THAT SAME FREAKING WEEK!!!!!!?????? 

tenor.gif?itemid=17037347

19 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

MY POINT PRECISELY!!!!!!!!!! :pleaseshhh:

21 hours ago, Million Billion said:

*UPDATED

I have just searched those songs on the official Hot 100 list and what makes me feel even much more confused is that ALL THOSE SONGS MANAGED TO CHART IN THE LIST, ALL THOSE SONGS EXCEPT FOR, GUESS WHICH ONE? :schoolingtime:

3 of them are TOP 5 except for One Margarita de Luke Bryan which is at #44

I really DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW THAT **** WORKS NOW???!!! IT WAS CONFUSED BEFORE, AND NOW IT IS SENSELESS!!!!!:weirdmeout::slowdown:

The answer is literally simple and what everyone has been saying. iTunes is dead. All those sales mean nothing without good streaming numbers and good radio play. That margarita song probably did awful in streaming like Mood Ring, but it did good on country radio:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/9395629/luke-bryan-scores-30th-top-10-country-airplay

6 minutes ago, MakeMeFweaky said:

The answer is literally simple and what everyone has been saying. iTunes is dead. All those sales mean nothing without good streaming numbers and good radio play. That margarita song probably did awful in streaming like Mood Ring, but it did good on country radio:

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/chart-beat/9395629/luke-bryan-scores-30th-top-10-country-airplay

I answered this and I will say it again, if BB posted that top 5 best selling songs it is because (I assume) it includes sales, views, radio play, streaming from all services (not only iTunes), so that Top 5 makes me think those songs are the best selling songs OVERALL, considering all type of sources they can consider to rank a song in the list, and to think the list is long enough (100 spots) but the 2nd best song didnt even make it to the #100, ISNT IT WEIRD? :britstare11:

Sorry, Im not sure if I am clear enough:decisions:

I'm tired of everybody keep pointing out that it was the 2nd best selling song this week. The market in digital buying of songs has been on the decline for years! Plus everything that's going on in the word; the pandemic, Black lives matter, job recession. Nobody is really buying music. Britney sold almost 14K, even back in the day when the digital market was a thing sales like that wouldn't have charted. It's all about streaming & radio. If the song would have sold 96k like "make me" of course it would have charted, but it didn't & we didn't have radio support so I don't see why everyone is so shocked. :beat:

4 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

I answered this and I will say it again, if BB posted that top 5 best selling songs it is because (I assume) it includes sales, views, radio play, streaming from all services (not only iTunes), so that Top 5 makes me think those songs are the best selling songs OVERALL, considering all type of sources they can consider to rank a song in the list, and to think the list is long enough (100 spots) but the 2nd best song didnt even make it to the #100, ISNT IT WEIRD? :britstare11:

Sorry, Im not sure if I am clear enough:decisions:

EZ-NeBAWkAI3YSR?format=jpg&name=large

It just isn't weird. The charts represent the songs that people nationwide listen to and hear on radio and buy. A bunch of Britney stans buying a song on iTunes just doesn't represent what the whole US population is listening to.:jl:

Also here's a more better way of showing how the charts are (estimately) measured. The #85 song had 6.2 million streams and 1.7 youtube views. Mood Ring got only 1.4 million spotify streams and 600k views on youtube, and that's GLOBAL, not just the US only.

Archived