Artists & Songs that helped shape the 2010's

ColdAsFire88

Recently, Billie Eilish came out and stated that she would like for her music to not be referred to as pop. It got me to thinking about what “Pop” music will look like in the coming decade and who will shape the landscape and set the trends. Before I go into that I’d like to acknowledge the artists from the 2010’s that helped shape the landscape of pop music. 

The artists that I am focusing on are somewhat of one hit wonders nonetheless they did help curate trends and shape music during the last decade. They may no longer achieve the same success in the coming decade, but their music will be heard for generations to come. I’d also like to hear others opinions on what artists or songs you think helped shape music in the 2010’s up to what music is now. 

Lorde – You couldn’t go anywhere without hearing the song Royals by Lorde. Before Royals became the smash that everyone knew she had released The Love Club on Soundcloud. When Royals became a hit she released Pure Heroine which was well received and had a few more hits such Team and Tennis Court. Lorde went on to release Melodrama in 2017 but it did not receive as much hype as her first effort. Lorde has been compared to Lana Del Rey which I do see similarities but I also feel that Billie Eilish can be compared to Lorde. I’d also like to add that I feel Lorde is 2010’s version of Alanis Morrisette. 

One Republic – One Republic’s success ignited with the hit Apologize which came out in 2007. By the 2009 the album Waking Up came out and the hits Secrets, All the right moves and Good Life became hits in 2010. One Republic’s success carried on thru artists such as Beyonce with her hit Halo and Kelly Clarkson’s Already Gone. Their success would go even further by 2013 with the hit Counting Stars. One Republic was not only writing for some of 2010’s biggest pop stars but they also influenced bands like Fun. Who came out with hits such Some Nights & We Are Young. Additionally, Fun. Went onto write P!nks hit Just give me a reason. Along with Fun. Came bands such as The Lumineers, Lady Antebellum, Neon Trees and The Bleachers. 

Carly Rae Jepson – In 2012 you couldn’t escape the memes or the viral videos of Carly Rae Jepsen’s song Call me maybe. The song was infectious and the hook was joyous. Carly brought fun bubbly pop back during a time of electronica, rap and serious pop music. I would consider Call Me Maybe to be one of the biggest songs of 2010 and it’s definitely something that you can easily listen to today. I feel Carly helped pave the way for acts such as Kim Petras, Charli XCX and even Billie Eilish. Kiss was released in 2012 but it wasn’t until Carly’s E MO TION album that we got to see her shine as an artist. Tracks such as Warm Blood and I Didn’t Just Come Here to Dance keep you lingering and wanting more. Other tracks such as Your Type and Gimmie Love give you hope that Pop Music still existed at a time when R&B, Hip Hop and Electronic Bangers were the craze. In 2019 Carly released Dedicated and my heart skipped a beat, but it seemed as though no one else felt the same way. Later in that summer I went to an art show in San Francisco and an Artist performed a dance routine to Carly’s Too Much and it was then that I knew Carly may no longer be the Call Me Maybe megastar but she still inspires and releases superb pop music. 

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived