This Day in Pop: 9 years ago, Katy Perry made history with Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)

9 years ago today, Katy Perry released Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F) as the fifth single from Teenage Dream. The track went on to top the Hot 100, the 5th consecutive single from the album to do so (after California Gurls, Teenage Dream, Firework and E.T.) and tying the record for most #1 singles from one album with Michael Jackson's BAD as well as being the first woman to do so. 

The dance-pop track has since been certified 6X PLATINUM and accumulated over 1.6B streams through various platforms. The music video, featuring cameos from many celebrities has been viewed 1.2B times and is considered a fan favourite, gaining upto 300k daily. It is also the second most popular track from Teenage Dream on Spotify, behind Firework.

Perry would become the second ever and the first woman to receive the Billboard Spotlight Award in 2012 following Last Friday Night going #1, after Michael Jackson.

Thoughts on the song?

Ul4mKG0.jpg

• Love 2
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1
9 minutes ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

I know the forum is generally Katy-phobic but please keep it nice and positive :jl:

I honestly don’t understand the hate towards Katy. Just because she said something referencing to Brits breakdown in 2007 :ohwut: and the other generations complain about us gen zers being InSeNsItIvE” :typing:

• Love 1
  • Like 2
2 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Featured!

This brings back memories of fanbases competing to push Last Friday Night (TGIF), The Edge of Glory, and I Wanna Go as the reining single at the time :mcry:

Thanks! 

And I didn't know of such a chart battle :pretends: Another reason for knee fans to hate Katy :gagasmile:

8 minutes ago, Blackout2006 said:

No prob :jl:

Hide contents

Yr new comeback album is flopping, eh?:jl:

My Witness era :firega:

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, ILikeChillinWithYou said:

This song or E.T. would have slapped at the Superbowl more than Teenage Dream :katycry:but if it wasn't for TD we wouldn't have gotten Left Shark so I'll let it pass 

katy perry dancing GIF

I almost forgot she did a Superbowl halftime show.....  But it's hard to remember anyone after Beyonce/Shakira they ******** it ....:katybelt:

• Love 1

This was one of my early faves from the album. I love that it’s seen so much success. I remember all of the marketing they did for the single. All of the Kathy Beth Terry social media videos were cute! No other pop stars have done a dedicated character like that. Katy has been so innovative, and I’m always waiting to see what she does next. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block