J.K. Rowling likes Tweet opposing a bill that will criminalize conversion therapy

• Leader

Update: J.K. Rowling continues to show her lack of support for the trans community, this time liking a Tweet that opposes a bill that will criminalize conversion therapy.

Update: J.K. Rowling is now under fire for following what appears to be an anti-trans Twitter account.

Update:

Daniel Radcliffe responded to JK Rowling's ignorant statements about s e x and trans people. 

He posted a letter on TheTrevorProject.org

I realize that certain press outlets will probably want to paint this as in-fighting between J.K. Rowling and myself, but that is really not what this is about, nor is it what’s important right now. While Jo is unquestionably responsible for the course my life has taken, as someone who has been honored to work with and continues to contribute to The Trevor Project for the last decade, and just as a human being, I feel compelled to say something at this moment.

Transgender women are women. Any statement to the contrary erases the identity and dignity of transgender people and goes against all advice given by professional health care associations who have far more expertise on this subject matter than either Jo or I. According to The Trevor Project, 78% of transgender and nonbinary youth reported being the subject of discrimination due to their gender identity. It’s clear that we need to do more to support transgender and nonbinary people, not invalidate their identities, and not cause further harm.

I am still learning how to be a better ally, so if you want to join me in learning more about transgender and nonbinary identities check out The Trevor Project’s Guide to Being an Ally to Transgender and Nonbinary Youth. It’s an introductory educational resource that covers a wide range of topics, including the differences between *** and gender, and shares best practices on how to support transgender and nonbinary people.

To all the people who now feel that their experience of the books has been tarnished or diminished, I am deeply sorry for the pain these comments have caused you. I really hope that you don’t entirely lose what was valuable in these stories to you. If these books taught you that love is the strongest force in the universe, capable of overcoming anything; if they taught you that strength is found in diversity, and that dogmatic ideas of pureness lead to the oppression of vulnerable groups; if you believe that a particular character is trans, nonbinary, or gender fluid, or that they are gay or bisexual; if you found anything in these stories that resonated with you and helped you at any time in your life — then that is between you and the book that you read, and it is sacred. And in my opinion nobody can touch that. It means to you what it means to you and I hope that these comments will not taint that too much.

Love always,
Dan

Earlier:

Author J.K. Rowling decided today would be a good day for her to ignorantly define trans people. 

She commented on an article from Devex titled “Opinion: Creating a more equal post-COVID-19 world for people who menstruate.”

“‘People who menstruate.’ I’m sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone help me out. Wumben? Wimpund? Woomud?” Rowling tweeted.

People started labeling Rowling’s comments “anti-trans” and “transphobic” as transgender people, non-binary people and gender-nonconforming people can also menstruate.

Then, curiously, Rowling followed up that by criticizing the idea that someone’s biological sense isn’t real.

“If *** isn’t real, there’s no same-*** attraction. If *** isn’t real, the lived reality of women globally is erased. I know and love trans people, but erasing the concept of *** removes the ability of many to meaningfully discuss their lives. It isn’t hate to speak the truth,” she wrote. “The idea that women like me, who’ve been empathetic to trans people for decades, feeling kinship because they’re vulnerable in the same way as women — ie, to male violence – ‘hate’ trans people because they think *** is real and has lived consequences — is a nonsense.”

Rowling added that she respects trans people’s right to live comfortably and later struck out at people calling her a TERF, a trans-exclusionary radical feminist.

Via Variety

Thoughts, Exhale?

jk.jpg.1733056100db2ccfeffb860d2189eb36.jpg

• Love 1

This infuriated me today. 

At first I thought.... Why the hell does everything on the internet have to have 15 different meanings? She said nothing here about trans women, and she’s had nothing but positive things to say about the LGBT movement. She’s openly supported trans women. 

Yet On the flipside, I don’t feel bad for her. You’re a celebrity with millions of followers. Don’t open your ******* mouth if you don’t plan on explaining every teenie tiny itty bitty ounce of what you’re writing, because lord knows SOMEBODY is going to get offended. 

BUT........... now that I’ve gone and read that devex article... they mention the term ‘WOMEN’ multiple times throughout the piece. They say ‘Women’ and non-binary persons who menstruate. Now I kind of see why people are irritated. This was a careless, and utterly pointless comment for her to make, that excludes people who don’t call themselves a ‘Woman’, yet still menstruate.... 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, LaLohan said:

Yeah but don't all these types of people have to be born female to menstruate? :imacat: I don't get the problem with what she said lol ... fine people can be non binary or nonconforming but you can't just erase the idea that genetically born "male" and "female" exist, like some of these people are doing.

Nobody said anything about the erasing the idea of male and female. If you were born female and you feel a female, you have every right to consider yourself as a female. 

If a person was born a female but never felt like one, they have the right to consider theirself any other way. 

So not only "female" have menstruations, but There's PEOPLE with menstruations.

Why does it bother you so much? 

Why calling them people who menstruate instead of women bother all of you so much? 

Do you understand that by saying "people who menstruate" female are included, of course? And that no one is taking anything away from you? 

• Love 1
  • Like 2
15 hours ago, LaLohan said:

Yeah but don't all these types of people have to be born female to menstruate? :imacat: I don't get the problem with what she said lol ... fine people can be non binary or nonconforming but you can't just erase the idea that genetically born "male" and "female" exist, like some of these people are doing.

Yea I don’t get the hate either. Only females can menstruate. This is science. You can call yourself whatever you want. And I think that’s what JK said.. correct me if I’m wrong 

• Love 1
  • Like 7

I don’t think she said anything wrong. Just because someone doesn’t proactively advocates for the LGBTQ+asdfghjkl rights doesn’t make them automatically racist.

this community needs to chill and stop taking offence from anything and everything they read on the news. 

• Love 5
  • Like 2

I agree with her tbh. S e x and gender are different things and she’s just talking about the former. 
having said that, the timing of this tweet is terribly tone deaf. Like, we’re in the middle of a pandemic, in the middle of a racial revolution, and you want to talk about trans people? 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block