The Guardian: "Bad Bunny: does a straight man deserve to be called a 'queer icon'?"

Urbanney

Bad Bunny has become a LGBTQ+ icon. First, he stood up for Alexa Luciano Ruiz, a Puerto Rican transgender woman that was ******** after having the police called on her for using the women's restroom. After the media described Alexa as "a man in a skirt," Bad Bunny performed on The Tonight Show wearing a skirt and a shirt that said (translated) "They killed Alexa, not a man in a skirt."

u-https-www-loloeats-com-wp-content-uplo

Next, Bad Bunny released Yo Perreo Sola (translated to "I Twerk Alone"). The music video featured a Bad Bunny in drag twerking on himself and ended the video with a message that said (translated), "If she doesn't want to dance with you, respect her. She twerks alone." The song and video both brought attention to the LGBTQ+ community, encouraged feminism, discouraged harassment, and broke gender roles.

Not only has Bad Bunny been praised for these actions, but he has been praised for breaking the toxic masculinity and gender roles that are common in Latinx culture. It's incredible brave and commendable for a straight man to be standing up for such a macho-dominated culture. 

I recently came across an article on The Guardian discussing Bad Bunny's role as a LGBTQ+ icon. The article discusses how he has gathered praise from queer media, as well as queer icons like Ricky Martin. However, it also discusses how Bad Bunny is relatively new to this role and how it can be problematic that a straight male is getting more recognition for this than other actual queer artists. They argue that maybe we should be more careful about celebrating straight allies more than celebrating actual queer celebrities. They provided the example of Nick Jonas, a straight ally, frequently being hailed as well.

What are your thoughts on the article? For me personally, I completely disagree with the article. I think this comment on /r/popheads sums it up perfectly:

Honestly, he has done more to LGBT+ and toxic masculinity than most of the male queer icons. He doesn't ignore the trans community, he doesn't try to portrait himself in a ambiguous way despite his androgeny look, he has done drag in a video to portray female empowerment, he is doing all of this work in the latin community which is not often seen as keen as the US-centric public as something normal for a male artist to do and there's far less example of people like him.

The fact that he, in national television, used a skirt to protest the killing of a innocent trans woman with shows how concrete his work is considering many queer icons often times are more about imagery than actual implement on society.

Thoughts? Should we be celebrating Bad Bunny as a queer icon as much as we have been?bad-bunny-yo-perreo-sola-music-video-drag.jpg

• Love 9
5 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Bad Bunny has become a LGBTQ+ icon. First, stood up for Alexa Luciano Ruiz, a Puerto Rican transgender woman that was ******** after having the police called on her for using the women's restroom. After the media described Alexa as "a man in a skirt," Bad Bunny performed on The Tonight Show wearing a skirt and a shirt that said (translated) "They killed Alexa, not a man in a skirt."

u-https-www-loloeats-com-wp-content-uplo

Next, Bad Bunny released Yo Perreo Sola (translated to "I Twerk Alone"). The music video featured a Bad Bunny in drag twerking on himself and ended the video with a message that said (translated), "If she doesn't want to dance with you, respect her. She twerks alone." The song and video both brought attention to the LGBTQ+ community, encouraged feminism, discouraged harassment, and broke gender roles.

Not only has Bad Bunny been praised for these actions, but he has been praised for breaking the toxic masculinity and gender roles that are common in Latinx culture. It's incredible brave and commendable for a straight man to be standing up for such a macho-dominated culture. 

I recently came across an article on The Guardian discussing Bad Bunny's role as a LGBTQ+ icon. The article discusses how he has gathered praise from queer media, as well as queer icons like Ricky Martin. However, it also discusses how Bad Bunny is relatively new to this role and how it can be problematic that a straight male is getting more recognition for this than other actual queer artists. They argue that maybe we should be more careful about celebrating straight allies more than celebrating actual queer celebrities. They provided the example of Nick Jonas, a straight ally, frequently being hailed as well.

What are your thoughts on the article? For me personally, I completely disagree with the article. I think this comment on /r/popheads sums it up perfectly:

Thoughts? Should we be celebrating Bad Bunny as a queer icon as much as we have been?bad-bunny-yo-perreo-sola-music-video-drag.jpg

Yeh there’s nothing wrong with that, Whatever gender, a decent human can protect human rights. :katycream:

• Love 6
  • Like 2

This is my opinion, but I personally believe that he is in the closet,  I also think he's a total verse bottom. His buns look thick and plump, they look like they have been clapped and slapped. He referenced enemas in one of his old mixtapes and that's tea :checkit:

He totally deserves the title, my Latin queen :kisses2all:

• Love 1
  • Haha 4

Why should a straight man NOT be a queer icon? If they stand by the LGBTQ+ community and advocate for us then there is no reason why anyone can’t be.

98% of female gay icons are straight women. I see no difference. If it’s an argument because people think a lot more men are homophobic or transphobic than women are - that’s complete BS. Some of the most homophobic people I have met in my life have been women.

• Love 3
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, No Seas Cortés said:

Why should a straight man NOT be a queer icon? If they stand by the LGBTQ+ community and advocate for us then there is no reason why anyone can’t be.

98% of female gay icons are straight women. I see no difference. If it’s an argument because people think a lot more men are homophobic or transphobic than women are - that’s complete BS. Some of the most homophobic people I have met in my life have been women.

Agreed! 

• Love 1

Pop culture right now is so fleeting, these people can bring out something new every month to be in the area but still nothing iconic or important many years ago, except for obvious Brit Brit and Shak and Jlo's Super Bowl performance. The boys now overvalue some characters and content so... Bunny, balvin, influencers...

• Love 2

I think it's fantastic that he's an ally and I love that he's not a stereotipical overly-masculine singer like a 98% of reggeaton artists, but it frustrates me how people decide to acknowledge him as a queer icon when there are soooo many queer artists that no one pays attention to. It sucks that the public is only willing to pay attention to our struggles when they're highlighted by a straight cis man and refuse to listen to us telling our own stories.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block