Your monsters torture me: Does Lady Gaga's "Replay" off Chromatica detail her relationship with the dark sides of fame and fans?

• Leader

Now that I've had a week to sink my teeth into Chromatica, I'm beginning to uncover meaning behind this string of super sonic somber songs. I'd like to unpack the symbology in "Replay," the album's disco-tinged dance floor banger. 

At first glance, I thought "Replay" detailed one of Gaga's harrowing relationships between herself and a toxic former flame. But there's something I thought of that shifted my entire perception of the song, and now I can't see it any other way.

Gaga's repeated use of the word "monster" in the track feels deliberate and intentional. She could've used any word in the world, why "monster?" First, let's take a glance at the history of the word in the Gaga universe. 

You may recall Gaga featured a song titled "Monster" on The Fame Monster. In the intro of the song, Gaga says "don't call me Gaga." She sings about a boy who "ate her heart," and recklessly consumed her emotions.

The Fame Monster coined the term Gaga fans go by: Little Monsters. 

In the past, Gaga has described death, alcohol and ***** as monsters. 

In other words, Gaga has a complicated love-hate relationship with monsters.

In her new song, "Replay," Gaga sings about trauma, and I can't help but think she's subtly singing about her super stardom.

In her new interview with Apple Music's Zane Lowe, Gaga said being so famous gives her a little anxiety about the public. "Replay" also details her experience with PTSD. Can you imagine everyone in the world knowing who you are? And wanting something from you? How guilty are most of us chanting WHERE IS LG6? WE WANT LG6. WE DON'T WANT JOANNE WE WANT DANCE FLOOR BANGERS. Gaga came through with Chromatica, but at a cost? 

Check out some of the lyrics from "Replay." View them through the lens as if she is undoubtedly taking about her fame and the demands fans place upon her. It's wild.

I want to preface this by saying that I don't think Gaga is saying she hates her fans, her career or her stardom. She obviously LOVES and adores her fans. There is no denying that. However, we just can't understand what it's like to be so famous. That fame is energized and expanded through her loyal supporters. I imagine it's a bit of a double-edged sword. This is not exclusive to Gaga, rather all hyper-famous people. 

I also want to say this is my own perspective on the song. Music takes all sorts of shapes, so while I may see this as a stance on the dark sides of fame and fans, others may see "Replay" as Gaga's response to a bad romance. 

I'm completely numb, why you acting dumb?
I won't blame myself 'cause we both know you were the one

Every single day, yeah, I dig a grave
Then I sit inside it, wondering if I'll behave
It’s a game I play, and I hate to say
You're the worst thing and the best thing that's happened to me

Psychologically, it's something that I can't explain
Scratch my nails into the dirt to pull me out okay
Does it matter, does it matter? Damage is done
Does it matter, does it matter? You had the gun

I don't know what to do, you don't know what to say
The scars on my mind are on replay, r-replay
The monster inside you is torturing me
The scars on my mind are on replay

Your monsters torture me
The scars on my mind are on replay

After I had my own revelation about "Replay," I grew to love the song so much more. I can't imagine being Gaga-level famous, nor having that amount of fans. While she is so blessed and fortunate, that amount of celebrity could feel like a mental prison. 

What do you think about "Replay?"

replay.jpg.0224e35fbe4694cbd51143c09e90bbc0.jpg

• Love 2

I thought the same thing the first time I listened and every time I’ve listened since. I wondered if she was calling out her fanbase for the pressure she faces.

It seems too much to be coincidental. Isn’t she the one that named the fanbase “little monsters,” and then she writes a song saying “these monsters torture her?“

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, JordanMiller said:

Now that I've had a week to sink my teeth into Chromatica, I'm beginning to uncover meaning behind this string of super sonic somber songs. I'd like to unpack the symbology in "Replay," the album's disco-tinged dance floor banger. 

At first glance, I thought "Replay" detailed one of Gaga's harrowing relationships between herself and a toxic former flame. But there's something I thought of that shifted my entire perception of the song, and now I can't see it any other way.

Gaga's repeated used of the word "monster" in the track feels deliberate and intentional. She could've used any word in the world, why "monster?" First, let's take a glance at the history of the word in the Gaga universe. 

You may recall Gaga featured a song titled "Monster" on The Fame Monster. In the intro of the song, Gaga says "don't call me Gaga." She sings about a boy who "ate her heart," and recklessly consumed her emotions.

The Fame Monster coined the term Gaga fans go by: Little Monsters. 

In the past, Gaga has described death, alcohol and ***** as monsters. 

In other words, Gaga has a complicated love-hate relationship with monsters.

In her new song, "Replay," Gaga sings about trauma, and I can't help but think she's subtly singing about her super stardom.

In her new interview with Apple Music's Zane Lowe, Gaga said being so famous gives her a little anxiety about the public. Can you imagine everyone in the world knowing who you are? And wanting something from you? How guilty are most of us chanting WHERE IS LG6? WE WANT LG6. WE DON'T WANT JOANNE WE WANT DANCE FLOOR BANGERS. Gaga came through with Chromatica, but at a cost? 

Check out some of the lyrics from "Replay." View them through the lens as if she is undoubtedly taking about her fame and the demands fans place upon her. It's wild.

I want to preface this by saying that I don't think Gaga is saying she hates her fans, her career or her stardom. She obviously LOVES and adores her fans. There is no denying that. However, we just can't understand what it's like to be so famous. That fame is energized and expanded through her loyal supporters. I imagine it's a bit of a double-edged sword. This is not exclusive to Gaga, rather all hyper-famous people. 

I also want to say this is my own perspective on the song. Music takes all sorts of shapes, so while I may see this as a stance on the dark sides of fame and fans, others may see "Replay" as Gaga's response to a bad romance. 

After I had my own revelation about "Replay," I grew to love the song so much more. I can't imagine being Gaga-level famous, nor having that amount of fans. While she is so blessed and fortunate, that amount of celebrity could feel like a mental prison. 

What do you think about "Replay?"

replay.jpg.0224e35fbe4694cbd51143c09e90bbc0.jpg

From a different point of view could be an ex and one sided love.. someone who loved her so much but she did not love back, “the monster in you” could refere to his torment of loving her, she want to go out and have fun but she fears it will happen again when she is reminded by his suffering for his unrequited love to her ...” i dig a grave and then i sit inside of it wondering if i behave  “   

• Like 1

I honestly think it's her second worst album. Production sounds DATED AF (Britney Jean vibes), the songs are awfullt short and some of the collabs are...a choice...also don't think the cover of the album matches the album. She tried to score her "Confessions"  dance floor album but executed it poorly imo. 

The pop songs of A Star Is Born >>>> Chromatica.

But hey that's my opinion

• Like 1

This is my favorite song on the album. I like how she wrote some deep/sad lyrics to dance music :gagacrash:

Anyway, at first when I heard this song I thought she was talking about her fanbase and her fame, but she plays with her words.

The song is definitely about a toxic relationship. Could be her ex? ***** and alcohol? Her fanbase? 

• Love 1
  • Leader
1 hour ago, blonderoman27 said:

The lyrics in a lot of the songs from Chromatica, is what has really made me love this album more. Oddly enough, 1,000 Doves is becoming one of my favorite songs. 

Same :crying1:

And the way Free Woman crept up on me and is now one of my faves. Going to write a topic next on why it should be the next single. :blast:

• Love 1
  • Super Mods

I don’t listen to replay a lot  but I guess I’ll take it another listen. Although I wouldn’t be surprised, her fans are pretty Bi polar and demanding. They kinda built her up and she has to live up to their expectations. Like Chromatica was what the fans expected her to be 

• Love 1
  • Leader
17 hours ago, puppylo16 said:

I don’t listen to replay a lot  but I guess I’ll take it another listen. Although I wouldn’t be surprised, her fans are pretty Bi polar and demanding. They kinda built her up and she has to live up to their expectations. Like Chromatica was what the fans expected her to be 

Yea! Take another listen, but this time looking at it in the way I presented. 

"Like Chromatica was what the fans expected her to be "

NGL I thought this, too. 

• Like 1

SO, I completely agree it’s about her fan base. She made this album to pander to fans, I highly doubt it’s what she wanted to make. I think she feels like her life And music are gonna be on replay forever. It really reminds me of both monster and bad romance. I think it’s definitely referencing the fame monster since it sounds like it the most as well. BEST song on the album and definitely the most meaningful. 

• Love 1
19 hours ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

I honestly think it's her second worst album. Production sounds DATED AF (Britney Jean vibes), the songs are awfullt short and some of the collabs are...a choice...also don't think the cover of the album matches the album. She tried to score her "Confessions"  dance floor album but executed it poorly imo. 

I completely agree that it’s not her best effort to date but, but I also think it’s a stepping stone to better music. 

• Like 1

Never really thought of the song in that way. I like how you analyzed the lyrics, and that the hidden message would be about her fans. I can't seem to find it anymore, the storyline Gaga put on Spotify, but it's interesting to get an in-depth about each song.

Much as she adores her fans, she can feel pressure on the expectations she has to be better than her previous work. I think this really lies in the words:

You're the worst thing and the best thing that's happened to me

I do wonder what the 'scars' would be referring to though...

• Love 1
On 6/5/2020 at 4:58 PM, IForgotYouExisted said:

I don't know what the poo you are talking about. This is a SMASH!

• 3 months later...

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block