CL: the K-Pop industry is inspired by black culture whether they acknowledge it or not

• Leader

cl.jpg.baaa76fa4cf3204dabe394f04a5d1881.jpg

CL offered invaluable insight as a K-pop star, and how it relates to the Black Lives Matter movement. The former 2NE1 singer says the genre is directly influenced by black culture.

“The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill was the first album my dad bought me. Beyonce‘s Dangerously In Love was the first CD I bought for myself. Janet Jackson taught me the power of movement of dance and expression. Missy Elliott is why I am so obsessed with my video visuals. Lil Kim was one of Fashion’s pioneers that taught me how to be fearless in how I tell stories through clothes…Aaliyah is the reason why I still wear baggy pants and combat boots on stage,” she wrote in a statement.

“Some of the biggest inspirations for 2NE1 were Destiny’s Child and TLC. These are just some of the examples of the core women who have inspired me over the years. Artists, directors, writers, dancers, designers, producers, stylists in the K-Pop industry are all inspired by black culture whether they acknowledge it or not,” she continued.

“I would like to encourage all K-Pop fans to give back and show their love and support for all that we have received from Black artists. I want to explain to all the K-pop fans, fellow Asians, and non-Americans who feel like they have little or no connection to what’s happening that we all are connected at the end of the day. And don’t we, Asians living abroad, also face enough racism to the point where we are numb and sick of it? We must stand up together as one helping them fight for justice. It’s never too late. Let’s send them love and support by caring, elevating Black voices, educating ourselves, and bringing awareness to people around you.”

Do we have any CL stans in Exhale? Thoughts on her statement? 

• Love 2
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Which you probably don't have any valid reasons for. Nice circlejerk, friend. And we see your edit. :clownery:

8 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

:tiffcackle:

when I quoted, the user in question had already edited it, but I remembered what they had written prior to editing, so I wrote it back in myself :clicktina:

i haven't editing nothing sweeties 

Opera-Snapshot-2020-06-05-104005-www-bre

tenor.gif

• Haha 1
  • Super Mods

2NE1 was literally the most famous kpop band and they even broke through worldwide. All the members had so much potential but their label decided to forcefully disband them so they could make room for a girl group with younger members (blackpink). They literally slaughtered their cashcow, sucha dumb decision business wise. Unfortunately, they tricked CL into staying with them with false promises so she renewed her contract. In the end, they didnt release a single one of her solos and even gave some of her songs to Blackpink. The woman was trapped for years unable to release her music. The contract ended this year so I have big hopes for her. She's an extremely talented artist and a kind soul.

For those saying she's looking for the spotlight, it's really not true. She was praising strong black women throughout her entire career (and she debuted in 2009). Slay kween.

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block