Selena Quintanilla appreciation thread

On 6/6/2020 at 3:00 PM, ColdAsFire88 said:

I LOVE Selena :tysm:When I visited San Antonio I ate at one of the restaurants filmed in her MV for ‘No Me Queda Mas’ after that I drove to Corpus Cristi and visited her Memorial Statue. It was such a cool and spiritual trip :ohcrap:

How was it?? God I'm dying to go to Corpus Christi. :crying1: I've never been able to because of money and of course the second I have the funds to go, COVID happens. :jl: Me and my best friend were going to go this summer but the second quarantine ends and the world actually seems safe again, we'll go. :makeitrain:

• Love 1
  • Like 1
51 minutes ago, AmorProhibido said:

How was it?? God I'm dying to go to Corpus Christi. :crying1: I've never been able to because of money and of course the second I have the funds to go, COVID happens. :jl: Me and my best friend were going to go this summer but the second quarantine ends and the world actually seems safe again, we'll go. :makeitrain:

It's nothing Godly but it is a cool memorial that plays music and it has a statue of her. Hopefully you make it soon!

• Love 1

It's funny to me because as someone who grew up in Texas and knew and heard about her growing up, I can say that she became bigger after her death than she really was in her "prime." Don't get me wrong, she was popular but many act like she was this enormous artist that would have been bigger than today's artists - I don't think she would have been.

Her music was Tejano which was a fad genre that was primarily concentrated in Texas - although it had some success in other Latin countries. Yes, she was working on an English cross-over album but we've heard some of the songs. They weren't epic and if you look at the other talent at the time (1995-1996), she would not have been able to compete with the likes of Mariah, Whitney, and Celine who were in their prime. By the time the Latin explosion would have hit in the early 00's, she would have been nearing her 30's and the young audience would not have found her as appealing. We could almost say that the only reason Latin artists really came up in the late 90's was because of the attention her death drew to the Latin community and it's talent. I mean, J. Lo was one of those artists that was a part of the Latin explosion of the late 90's early 00's. 

Also, people often point to her selling out the Houston Astrodome in her "last concert" as a way of showing her impact. What many don't realize is that her concert there was a part of the Houston Rodeo - it always draws a crowd. It's the same event that Cardi B sold out just the other year. Are you saying Cardi B is a HUGE artist too?

In the end, I love Selena and she's one of my favorite Spanish singers, but I'm also not blind to the fact that much of her fame today is owed to her tragic death.

On 6/8/2020 at 6:42 PM, Sia said:

It's funny to me because as someone who grew up in Texas and knew and heard about her growing up, I can say that she became bigger after her death than she really was in her "prime." Don't get me wrong, she was popular but many act like she was this enormous artist that would have been bigger than today's artists - I don't think she would have been.

Her music was Tejano which was a fad genre that was primarily concentrated in Texas - although it had some success in other Latin countries. Yes, she was working on an English cross-over album but we've heard some of the songs. They weren't epic and if you look at the other talent at the time (1995-1996), she would not have been able to compete with the likes of Mariah, Whitney, and Celine who were in their prime. By the time the Latin explosion would have hit in the early 00's, she would have been nearing her 30's and the young audience would not have found her as appealing. We could almost say that the only reason Latin artists really came up in the late 90's was because of the attention her death drew to the Latin community and it's talent. I mean, J. Lo was one of those artists that was a part of the Latin explosion of the late 90's early 00's. 

Also, people often point to her selling out the Houston Astrodome in her "last concert" as a way of showing her impact. What many don't realize is that her concert there was a part of the Houston Rodeo - it always draws a crowd. It's the same event that Cardi B sold out just the other year. Are you saying Cardi B is a HUGE artist too?

In the end, I love Selena and she's one of my favorite Spanish singers, but I'm also not blind to the fact that much of her fame today is owed to her tragic death.

I'm going to have to respectfully agree to disagree with you on most of your sentiments. Of course you're entitled to say whatever you want wherever you want, but this is an appreciation thread. Even if what you said was a definite fact that couldn't be argued or debated, it still wouldn't change the fact that I want this thread to be a positive one.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Dreaming of You is in my karaoke repertoire. Thank you for the music, Selena. :barbie:

I wish I could do Dreaming Of You justice. :kidcries: I can do Como La Flor any damn day, but Dreaming Of You? Never. :haha: Though I do play the accompaniment whenever my very talented friend decides to perform it. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, AmorProhibido said:

I wish I could do Dreaming Of You justice. I can do Como La Flor any damn day, but Dreaming Of You? Never. Though I do play the accompaniment whenever my very talented friend decides to perform it. 

But it isn't hard at all. :idkney: I actually like that it's dynamic enough to not be a basic number. :imacat:

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

But it isn't hard at all. :idkney: I actually like that it's dynamic enough to not be a basic number. :imacat:

It's hard for me just because I don't have the range for it. I've always been an alto my whole life. :crying1: Como La Flor is like grazing the top of what I can do but Dreaming Of You goes over that. I agree though, it's a fantastic song. :yesplease:

• Love 2

Selena was expected to outsell her Idol Madonna in the English world..

But it was cut short. I was in Victoria,  Texas at a controversial Mental health hospital called Devaruex. 

Research Amanda Yates ******* faniky to understand how the hospital released her knowing she wasn't properly taken care of. 

I never heard of her. I left the hospital the day her ****** took over local news. 

Friends was the cover story for People magazine. but even People knew in Texas her ****** was front cover story. 

Selena was cover in Texas editions of People magazine. A first ever. That issue is extremely rare. 

51 minutes ago, AmorProhibido said:

Do higher notes come more naturally to you? If so, you may be a Soprano. I could be wrong though. If you're interested in finding out, there are vocal range tests online that'll help you figure out what voice part you're in.

I don't think i'm a soprano like isn't that for super belters? Like, I can belt but not like opera singer levels. :blol:

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Roxxy said:

I don't think i'm a soprano like isn't that for super belters? Like, I can belt but not like opera singer levels. :blol:

:haha: No, soprano is simply the highest female part of a choir. Alto is the lowest. But yeah, I'm the same. I can belt, just not like opera singers/high notes. And I sing with a natural vibrato which is both a blessing and a curse. :mhm:

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, AmorProhibido said:

No, soprano is simply the female highest part of a choir. Alto is the lowest. But yeah, I'm the same. I can belt, just not like opera singers/high notes. And I sing with a natural vibrato which is both a blessing and a curse.

If I sing a lot of Mariah and Whitney numbers, what does that make me? I can't sing Britney Spears songs, I swear. I sound so off. It's hard for me. :sobbing:

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Roxxy said:

If I sing a lot of Mariah and Whitney numbers, what does that make me? I can't sing Britney Spears songs, I swear. I sound so off. It's hard for me. :sobbing:

I mean you could be a soprano? I don't know, it really depends on your range. And no it's okay, Britney's songs are so hard to sing. Only Britney can do them justice. :tbh: The only ones I can do are the ones from Blackout because the way she sings on that album resembles mine the closest. I can do songs from Britney and like the rest of her albums too but I sound so stiff doing them. :hahaha:

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, AmorProhibido said:

I mean you could be a soprano? I don't know, it really depends on your range. And no it's okay, Britney's songs are so hard to sing. Only Britney can do them justice. The only ones I can do are the ones from Blackout because the way she sings on that album resembles mine the closest. I can do songs from Britney and like the rest of her albums too but I sound so stiff doing them. 

There is no way I am a soprano. I'm sure of it. I don't have that "range". :donewithit: is there an in between? :idkney: I can actually sing Britney songs like I know I can do it too but when I sing on a mic, it sounds different. :blol:

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

There is no way I am a soprano. I'm sure of it. I don't have that "range". :donewithit: is there an in between? :idkney: I can actually sing Britney songs like I know I can do it too but when I sing on a mic, it sounds different. :blol:

You may be like an alto 1, the highest singing alto, or a soprano 2, the lowest singing soprano. Honestly you'd be surprised though. People are usually shocked when they find out what voice part they're in. 

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block