Marina: "you have to be mentally ill to be a cop"

• Leader

Marina Tweeted "You have to be mentally ill to be a cop."

I whole-heartedly disagree with her.

1. I don't love how she categorized all police officers into one group. As if ALL of them are racist murderers. There are good, honorable police officers out there with a moral compass. I am aware that this is a bad time to defend police officers, but I don't think it's a good idea to label a group of people no matter who they are.
  2. She's equating racism to being mentally ill. That's a slippery slope.  

The racism in the police force is apparent. The Black Lives Matter movement exists for a reason. There needs to be a seismic shift in how white people and white cops view and treat people of color. Period. George Floyd's unjust death caused outrage for a reason. But calling racist people mentally ill feels reckless to me. I wouldn't be surprised if her Tweet below was removed soon.

Update: Including a much more thoughtful response from Marina that she posted on IG, too. 

Thoughts?

Related:

marina.jpg.7e30ef5501777976e19409f828396631.jpg

Hmm, 

let’s just say I’ve never had good experiences with police officers. 

I was pulled over by a police man who was really aggressive with me, and he told me to get out the car with my hands across my back in a public place. With all eyes on me. I was so scared. to the point of shaking. 

“he said we are going to search the car for ***** and to check if it’s stolen” bear this in mind I’m 18 just driving to College... 

He proceeded to not find any and guess what he said... guess 

“Oh you look the type to carry ***** and you were driving a nice car” 

what on Earth? 

will a police officer pull over someone that’s not of color ?  Will they even come across that thought if I was white ?

I am someone who has no criminal convictions, no *****. Isn’t a threat to the public and  because he thought “I look like someone who carries *****” I have never seen police officers the same again. 

we are all scared. EACH FAMILY MEMBER. WE ALL ARE AWARE POLICE OFFICERS DO NOT HAVE OUR BACKS. WILL NOT PROTECT US. 

This is UNHEALTHY AND WRONG. 

So I get her view, HOWEVER CATEGORISING ALL POLICE OFFICERS AS MENTALLY ILL. IS A STRETCH BUT I DO NOT THINK SHE MEANT IT LITERALLY. 

catch my drift ? :ririshade1:

• Love 2

i partly agree bc of the fact that  police officers r going through in their everyday work it really affects their mental health. but also there r nice and bad ppl in every profession. i do believe it depends on personality. u can be a good teacher and u can be bad. just like police officers can be really good trying to save ppl etc and some of them not so. not all of them ill or bad.

• Love 5
  • Like 2

I stan and love her so much, but I agree that it was a poor choice of words. She actually posted a lot about it on her stories on Instagram so I wish that the positive had been highlighted instead of the negative since we are all about positivity on here, right? :jl: my experience with cops has been mixed. I’ve had cops that were kind and gave me a chance on traffic tickets and underage drinking. I’ve also had experiences with ******* cops as well. I’m sure she didn’t mean any Ill with that comment, but the words could’ve been chosen more carefully 

• Love 4
  • Leader
9 minutes ago, sullivanSP said:

Hmm, 

let’s just say I’ve never had good experiences with police officers. 

I was pulled over by a police man who was really aggressive with me, and he told me to get out the car with my hands across my back in a public place. With all eyes on me. I was so scared. to the point of shaking. 

“he said we are going to search the car for ***** and to check if it’s stolen” bear this in mind I’m 18 just driving to College... 

He proceeded to not find any and guess what he said... guess 

“Oh you look the type to carry ***** and you were driving a nice car” 

what on Earth? 

will a police officer pull over someone that’s not of color ?  Will they even come across that thought if I was white ?

I am someone who has no criminal convictions, no *****. Isn’t a threat to the public and  because he thought “I look like someone who carries *****” I have never seen police officers the same again. 

we are all scared. EACH FAMILY MEMBER. WE ALL ARE AWARE POLICE OFFICERS DO NOT HAVE OUR BACKS. WILL NOT PROTECT US. 

This is UNHEALTHY AND WRONG. 

So I get her view, HOWEVER CATEGORISING ALL POLICE OFFICERS AS MENTALLY ILL. IS A STRETCH BUT I DO NOT THINK SHE MEANT IT LITERALLY. 

catch my drift ? :ririshade1:

First of all, I'm super sorry to hear you've experienced this kind of racism before.

I definitely have white privilege, and I feel pretty gross about it. Last summer in Vegas I was driving home from the grocery store, rolled through a stop-sign right near my place, and got pulled over. The cop asked me for my license and registration and asked why I didn't stop, and I said I had a bunch of groceries that I didn't want to melt cause of the Vegas heat. Basically an excuse for me being dumb and not fully stopping. I remember he asked if I lived near and I said yea. He just handed me back my license and said have a nice day. 

I remember being like :gerlwat: 

I'm not saying I wish he pulled me out of my car and made a scene, nor am I saying he's racist and treats white people better. He could've easily done the same to a black person - I have no way of knowing. What I AM saying is I've always looked back on that experience and thought how much easier I have it cause I'm a white dude. Never told anyone this story cause I didn't think it was a big deal until recently. 

I can't imagine what it's like being a black person and getting pulled over and having the thoughts cross your mind that you could be killed. It's just so ****ed up. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

I stan and love her so much, but I agree that it was a poor choice of words. She actually posted a lot about it on her stories on Instagram so I wish that the positive had been highlighted instead of the negative since we are all about positivity on here, right? :jl: my experience with cops has been mixed. I’ve had cops that were kind and gave me a chance on traffic tickets and underage drinking. I’ve also had experiences with ******* cops as well. I’m sure she didn’t mean any Ill with that comment, but the words could’ve been chosen more carefully 

Yes this thread should’ve been a positive thread highlighting how she’s been an ally to the cause to be honest but we all know she didn’t mean that literally :chrissy:

• Like 1

I like her a lot but:

1. Her words make it sound like people with mental illnesses are dangerous.

2. Though I believe that all the racists should be fired from the police forces following a good clean-up (and prosecuted if they harmed people), I oppose the ACAB motto. If we start considering that all cops are killers and do not believe that an institution/people can change and improve, then what do we live for?

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, JordanMiller said:

First of all, I'm super sorry to hear you've experienced this kind of racism before.

I definitely have white privilege, and I feel pretty gross about it. Last summer in Vegas I was driving home from the grocery store, rolled through a stop-sign right near my place, and got pulled over. The cop asked me for my license and registration and asked why I didn't stop, and I said I had a bunch of groceries that I didn't want to melt cause of the Vegas heat. Basically an excuse for me being dumb and not fully stopping. I remember he asked if I lived near and I said yea. He just handed me back my license and said have a nice day. 

I remember being like :gerlwat: 

I'm not saying I wish he pulled me out of my car and made a scene, nor am I saying he's racist and treats white people better. He could've easily done the same to a black person - I have no way of knowing. What I AM saying is I've always looked back on that experience and thought how much easier I have it cause I'm a white dude. Never told anyone this story cause I didn't think it was a big deal until recently. 

I can't imagine what it's like being a black person and getting pulled over and having the thoughts cross your mind that you could be killed. It's just so ****ed up. 

Thank you so much Jordan for understanding, love and kisses babe. Hopefully our protests will encourage change. :makeitrain:

• Love 1

“Sorry but this is a very commoner way of thinking.This is just like that thread where Just Because dragged Britney for not donating to Corona victims. This is just like those people who hate on the rich because they're poor“

someone on here said this to me the other day when I asked if celebs should post on important world events. 

I’m not here to cause drama or issues. But I felt a bit degraded with “commoner” as a term being used. I dunno if I’m reading too much. Into it. I hope I’m allowed to do this, I don’t want to upset @JordanMiller I’m not naming names or anything but I did feel a bit like woah. What does this person mean. 

I like her but she and others who say dumb **** like that should take a page out of Britney's book and just stfu and not say anything. The police force, in my country and as it seems in the US, has many racist and sick ****s in its ranks. That doesn't mean there aren't good people in it or that mental illness=racism. :wtfdidusay: Generalizations like that are not helping anyone and are not solving any problems

They should give lie detector tests to new police officers. Asking about racism and thoughts about killing ppl to try and eliminate the bad ones. 

A police officer should never want to hurt anyone. Same with health workers excited about hurt ppl. All these things are red flags. 

Also empathy tests. 

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block