Melanie Joy Fontana, co-writer of "Mood Ring", shares two early demos of the song

14 minutes ago, EasyThere said:

I don't think it was meant to be collab per say. It's more like she used their instrumental to record the demo. At least that's what I understood.

It sounds great. And she as well as Britney did great job on vocals. Mix between her and Britney sounds amazing. I need her to work 4 B as background vocalist.

Back in the day she said in an interview that they did write the song thinking of it as a collaboration between The chainsmokers and Britney.

Today Jon confirmed they sent it to The chainsmokers, but they passed, so ultimately it was recorded only by Britney (thank God)

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, EasyThere said:

I don't think it was meant to be collab per say. It's more like she used their instrumental to record the demo. At least that's what I understood.

It sounds great. And she as well as Britney did great job on vocals. Mix between her and Britney sounds amazing. I need her to work 4 B as background vocalist.

19 minutes ago, PokemonSpears said:

Back in the day she said in an interview that they did write the song thinking of it as a collaboration between The chainsmokers and Britney.

Today Jon confirmed they sent it to The chainsmokers, but they passed, so ultimately it was recorded only by Britney (thank God)

I was actually the one who asked, she said that her and Jon pitched it to the Chainsmokers as a Britney feature but they said that the lyrics were not their style but they liked the overall melody so they asked them to write in Melanie's words a 'male' version of Mood Ring and that's how Setting Fires came about which at the time people thought was a Mood Ring rip-off. Little did they know that it was a spiritual sucessor to the original

Also according to Melanie, the instrumental of the original demo was later reworked onto Waterbed

• Love 3
  • Like 2

Oh wow I love both previous versions...! I think the DJ Mustard one more than the Chainsmokers one.
This goes to show that when a song (lyrics and melody) is good, whatever music style you choose will work with it in some way or another.
Now I wonder what was recorded or released first, "Mood Ring" or "Needed Me"? I'd love to know which song's sound inspired the other.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, PlayboiMommy said:

I was actually the one who asked, she said that her and Jon pitched it to the Chainsmokers as a Britney feature but they said that the lyrics were not their style but they liked the overall melody so they asked them to write in Melanie's words a 'male' version of Mood Ring and that's how Setting Fires came about which at the time people thought was a Mood Ring rip-off. Little did they know that it was a spiritual sucessor to the original

Also according to Melanie, the instrumental of the original demo was later reworked onto Waterbed

Ooh I see.

She had talked about it back in 2016 though, without too much detail, but she did say they created it thinking of it as a collaboration between the two

"Mood Ring" was originally meant to be "Mood Swings."

"I wrote the song with my friend Jon [Asher], who is an amazing songwriter and one of my really good friends. I had an idea: I wanted to write a song called "Mood Swings." We started with some melodies and nothing really hit us. So we went down, started to hang out in his kitchen, had something to eat, and he was like 'Mood swings, mood swings...what about mood ring?" And I was like "Oh my God, 'Mood Ring'!" And that's kind of how it happened: basically joking around while we were having a snack in the kitchen. He came up with the title. We were thinking about it, in our minds, as The Chainsmokers featuring Britney Spears. So that was the concept and sound."

https://popcrush.com/britney-spears-mood-ring-melanie-fontana-songwriter-interview-exclusive/

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, sibode said:

I HONESTLY think the one we got is the best version...
The 1st one it's kinda a mess and something we've all already heard, the 2nd it's so cold... too much clubbish.

The one we got is unusual and deep and it really goes inside of your body. It's more intimate.

The one we got sounds like that Rihanna song that was a hit at the time so yeah!

9 minutes ago, sibode said:

I HONESTLY think the one we got is the best version...
The 1st one it's kinda a mess and something we've all already heard, the 2nd it's so cold... too much clubbish.

The one we got is unusual and deep and it really goes inside of your body. It's more intimate.

I definitely agree! But I gotta say that Mustard mix has a fun chorus... with revised verses it could be a fun remix.