What songs do you love that would be problematic if released today?

It’s clear that things are pretty divided and tense these days when it comes to opinions. Friends ditch friends when they find out they’re in the opposite political party. There’s a new “#___IsCancelledParty” trending on Twitter everyday. Every opinion is now relevant, whether it’s backed up by facts or “alternative facts.”

Today, for some odd reason, Ur So Gay by Katy Perry popped in my head out of nowhere after forgetting about it for a few years. It’s a 2007 song about a man that is so metrosexual and feminine that Katy declares he’s “so gay, but he doesn’t even like boys!” It got me thinking that if the song were released today, only 13 years later, it would probably cause a huge uproar.

I mean, people got mad at Billie Eilish just last year because she wrote a song about wishing a guy that didn’t like her was gay so that she could feel less insecure. Somehow, that was controversial. And then more controversy ensued because that was controversial. Sigh, is anyone else as tired as I am?

Anyways, Katy’s song, Ur So Gay, has me wondering. What are some songs that you love, or that were popular once, that would be “cancelled” if they were released today?0F846A55-9BA5-42FC-96AB-D01CD9C05156.jpeg

• Love 4
  • Like 3

...Baby One More Time :imacat:

If it was deemed problematic then for it's lyric "hit me baby one more time" which was interpreted as violent, just think of how the ultra sensitive Gen Z fans and "woke" people will react to that line now:mattafact:

I mean, this week the internet wanted to cancel Lana Del Rey for singing about loving men who hurt her. :tiffdrink:

• Love 4
  • Like 5

Nasty Girl- Destiny's Child

Upgrade U- Beyoncé ft. Jay-Z

Gypsy- Lady Gaga

Spanish Lesson- Madonna

Better Than Revenge- Taylor Swift

...Baby One More Time- Britney Spears

I'm A Slave 4 U- Britney Spears

Outraegous- Britney Spears

Dirty Diana- Michael Jackson

SIlly Ho- TLC

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block