Is Britney Over?

Scrappy

If we’ve learned anything about her, it’s you can never count her out. I mean she managed to deliver a great album during a terrible time of her life and she made a huge comeback after her image was completely in the toilet. 

will she ever be as big as she was no, that’s just normal of an artist that’s been around as long as her. However with the correct promotional measures and material she certainly can have success again! If Make Me had been performed on the BBMA’s and released with the video shortly after it would’ve been a top 5, it made it to 17 with literally no promotion or video! Also the numbers Glory brought in first week were not bad and had it been released a different week it would’ve been a #1, for example Gwen’s last album sold significantly less it’s first week but she was number one because no one else released that week! RCA did Glory dirty picking the week they did!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Slave_4_u said:

Here’s my real opinion, yes I think she’s over and I think she wants to be. She is not Madonna, very few if any are. She doesn’t reinvent her style that much, she sticks to the formula and depends on her *** appeal. She will be 40 soon and she really didn’t take care of her looks (let’s face it like it or not that’s how she got this gig in the first place) years of chain smoking and tanning beds and botched surgery has made her look old. Her public image is ruined, no one takes her seriously  anymore. Her fans feel sorry for her. I think she is done. The only way she could really come back from this is if she totally reinvented her style, stoped relying on *** appeal and sing songs about hookups and really looked within her soul and delivered something totally different.

You're right on the part of the she can get 40 and singing new hookup songs , and dancing with a lot of male dancers on semierection  trunks 

She needs to make respect herself because she doesn't like that, she looks very awkward performing performing front of her family, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are on the same level and doesn't performing with a lot of male dancers in trunks,.

Britney the brand is not over, they will probably keep selling merch and nostalgic stuff to make easy money over her past achievements. Britney the popstar? Maybe. In all honesty, I don't see anything about her persona that reminds me about someone being passionate about a music career... and this since a long time. I mean, she literally is like "who cares?" about it... and if she was truly forced to release/perform stuff she wasn't into I mean... I can see why she is over being The Britney Spears. 

38 minutes ago, Slave_4_u said:

Here’s my real opinion, yes I think she’s over and I think she wants to be. She is not Madonna, very few if any are. She doesn’t reinvent her style that much, she sticks to the formula and depends on her *** appeal. She will be 40 soon and she really didn’t take care of her looks (let’s face it like it or not that’s how she got this gig in the first place) years of chain smoking and tanning beds and botched surgery has made her look old. Her public image is ruined, no one takes her seriously  anymore. Her fans feel sorry for her. I think she is done. The only way she could really come back from this is if she totally reinvented her style, stoped relying on *** appeal and started writing and performing songs other than songs about about hookups and really looked within her soul and delivered something totally different.

You make reasonable points.  Obviously had she taken a long hiatus after Circus, I strongly believe she would have aged flawlessly and never touched her mouth.  (And I believe she would have come back as a motivated performer, which really has never been the case since any comeback after)

Despite the chain smoking and tanning beds and minor surgery up until this point, look how she looked in 2013:

It's obvious some type of surgery around her mouth was done after and to me that's what changed her face the most more than smoking, stress nose job etc...   It's easy to tell because she kept staying in the public eye literally every year (except maybe 2010, but Femme Fatale happened right after)

That's why I said since she DID decide to stay in the public eye doing Vegas was probably THE BEST decision since she made enough money to be comfortable for the rest of her life (I'm not saying she should retire, but she can afford to take as long as a hiatus as she wants).

It's just that staying in the public eye fore monetary reasons (Femme Fatale Tour, X Factor, Vegas) definitely influenced her getting plastic surgery done and she probably would have been more at peace with a long hiatus after Circus.

And its still disgusting for her handlers/team encouraged her to be as unmotivated as they have for most of the decade which reached its apex with Britney Jean.  But I guess she followed it up with Glory.

I think it depends on what version of "Britney" you are talking about. Is the prime 1998-2004 version over? Yes. At least from the performance side of things, I do not believe we will ever get that version back and I don't believe she will reach that peak level of fame again either.

I could pretty easily see another Glory type era in the next 5 years, however. Ideally after she is released from the conservatorship. I think with a better press run and a higher quality album you could even get another era that resembled Circus/FF and see her get back to the forefront of the mainstream. 

I'm not really sure how likely it is that we get that at this point though. Part of me feels like she may really be ready to walk away. Hopefully, once she is released from the conservatorship she will get rejuvenated to make music again, but as long as she has her own free will and is happy, I will be content with whatever she decides. 

10 minutes ago, zxcvb said:

You make reasonable points.  Obviously had she taken a long hiatus after Circus, I strongly believe she would have aged flawlessly and never touched her mouth.  (And I believe she would have come back as a motivated performer, which really has never been the case since any comeback after)

Despite the chain smoking and tanning beds and minor surgery up until this point, look how she looked in 2013:

It's obvious some type of surgery around her mouth was done after and to me that's what changed her face the most more than smoking, stress nose job etc...   It's easy to tell because she kept staying in the public eye literally every year (except maybe 2010, but Femme Fatale happened right after)

That's why I said since she DID decide to stay in the public eye doing Vegas was probably THE BEST decision since she made enough money to be comfortable for the rest of her life (I'm not saying she should retire, but she can afford to take as long as a hiatus as she wants).

It's just that staying in the public eye fore monetary reasons (Femme Fatale Tour, X Factor, Vegas) definitely influenced her getting plastic surgery done and she probably would have been more at peace with a long hiatus after Circus.

And its still disgusting for her handlers/team encouraged her to be as unmotivated as they have for most of the decade which reached its apex with Britney Jean.  But I guess she followed it up with Glory.

I agree about the mouth surgery, that was the worst and obviously a very permanent decision.

Nobody is over until we talk about them on exhale:britoverit::haha:

At jonatan ross she said like she performs onstage but it is not real her at all. That felt strange to me. I think Britney has a tough times to identify herself as a whole. The person and superstar. She def wants to be person more. And i started thinking that maybe she is performing that way on purpose bc she doesn't that level of superstardom anymore. She was followed by hundreds of ppl in her prime and then during her breakdown it become really obsessive. I think she just wants to do music once in while. Not being smth sensational but just make good music . i wish she make smth more visual more soulful. Opened up more kind of like gaga but not too much. Gaga is too diffucult to understand sometimes. And Britney likes simple. But still we need more of her vision and i think cship makes it impossible.

Britney will never be “over” but she won’t ever be relevant to mainstream media. Not like she used to anyway. She won’t sell music and she won’t be known for anything except her past successes. 

that’s Hollywood though. She’ll always be compared to her past even well into her 40s. 

5 hours ago, misslyss26 said:

No. But fans need to get over their unrealistic dreams of her having this huge comeback. She's got nothing to prove. I'm sure she sees it like she already had her time in the limelight, now let the new artists shine. She seems like that. At this point I will be happy with just new music, if and when Britney is ready only. 

''If she wants'', she can make a big return like Circus era. It's not difficult to be #1 nowadays... 

2 hours ago, Slave_4_u said:

Here’s my real opinion, yes I think she’s over and I think she wants to be. She is not Madonna, very few if any are. She doesn’t reinvent her style that much, she sticks to the formula and depends on her *** appeal. She will be 40 soon and she really didn’t take care of her looks (let’s face it like it or not that’s how she got this gig in the first place) years of chain smoking and tanning beds and botched surgery has made her look old. Her public image is ruined, no one takes her seriously  anymore. Her fans feel sorry for her. I think she is done. The only way she could really come back from this is if she totally reinvented her style, stoped relying on *** appeal and started writing and performing songs other than songs about about hookups and really looked within her soul and delivered something totally different.

Bette Davis Yes GIF

2 hours ago, vzlafan said:

You're right on the part of the she can get 40 and singing new hookup songs , and dancing with a lot of male dancers on semierection  trunks 

She needs to make respect herself because she doesn't like that, she looks very awkward performing performing front of her family, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are on the same level and doesn't performing with a lot of male dancers in trunks,.

Male dancers and manly dance moves >>>... 

I really don’t get why ppl think this or obsess over this so much. She may never THE top artist again, but she was at one point, and look what it did to her. There’s so much we can’t really be sure of due to the conservatorship. BUT Britney will never be over. She’s one of the defining artists of the 2000s. And she did pretty well compared to most of her peers who came out around the same time. Britney is such a huge star there will always be dedicated fans who will be interested if she puts out new music. The GP may not be interested, but any album she puts out will always land in the top 10. She may not your all the time, or ever again. She may not put out an album every 2 years and go through the typical album cycle. But if Glory showed us anything, it’s that she still enjoys music and creating. Cher only put out 2 albums in the past decade, and one was a cover album is she “over”? Elton John put out 2 albums in the last decade is he “over”? Yes, I know Britney is much younger than them, but the point is legends don’t have to be constantly putting out an album every 2 years and it doesn’t matter that they don’t have top ten hits. Britney has sold millions, toured the world, had hits, won awards, she got to perform with Madonna AND Michael Jackson, 2 of her idols, she has earned the right to do as she feels. And now I think she doesn’t want her team picking out songs for her to sing and telling her what type of album and show to do which it seems happened during femme fatale, Britney Jean, and most of Piece of Me. I think once the conservativeship ends or she’s at least MORE in control of her life and career she will want to get in the studio again. But I think she’s fed up with not being able to have the creative freedom most of her peers due. But who know, maybe when she gets her freedom she’ll say peace out. And maybe she’ll disappear for 5, 10 years and decide then she’s bored and wants to do something, who knows. But really, she’s only had about a year off. Before that she pretty much worked 20 years straight. And just because it may not look like other pop stars careers and how they’re pushing, she was working hard all that time. 

In terms of chart success I think she's "over". I don't mean that in a mean way, I just find it hard to imagine her having a Top 10 hit again unless she collabs with a really popular artist. But even if she does, I don't think that she'll ever really rebound like she did with Circus or Femme Fatale.

But in terms of music quality, I'm sure she'll release a few more albums that are genuinely good. Glory gives me hope for the future of Britney's bops. 

10 hours ago, misslyss26 said:

No. But fans need to get over their unrealistic dreams of her having this huge comeback. She's got nothing to prove. I'm sure she sees it like she already had her time in the limelight, now let the new artists shine. She seems like that. At this point I will be happy with just new music, if and when Britney is ready only. 

I already have very low expectations from her, but somehow she manages to set them even lower. :orangu:

All she needs is a great documentary on Netflix  following her life while recording this new album, that has to be amazing. Just really with her being herself, raw and unedited (More In The Zone and Out All Night and less Chaotic, but more real than For The Record.

Preferably following the Free Britney movement that ends with her getting out of the conservatorship and releasing her first single. :jj:

I don't think an artist like Britney can ever really be over. Her artistry and impact is still relevant today. Its just not her time anymore.

At the end of the day, a hugely iconic career like Britney's is just not sustainable - like she's pretty much done and achieved everything by the age of 30. What more is left? I don't  think Brinny herself set out to be the legend she became and it all kinda happened to her outside of her control.  Whereas artists like Byonce are much more ambitious/ calculated  and will do everything to maintain their legacy and status... not that theres anything wrong with that.

I don't think a household name like britney spears will ever be "over". but britney herself has been over it since back in 03. check this quote from blender magazine

I'm not at the point now where I want to sell 50million records. I've been there, done that. I just want people to enjoy the music. Although it would be nice to go to number 1.

if the artist isn't passionate then neither will the audience you are trying to target. her team can only ride on the coattails of her prime for so long, I just hope that if britney does release another album that its something she wants to do and doesn't HAVE to do :mhm:

Archived