Where would Britney’s career be without “Toxic” ?

22 hours ago, One More Time said:

Maybe better but we won’t know 

That’s very true 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, PokemonSpears said:

:snooptoya:

jk who knows, it depends of what she would've released instead. Of course it's hard to imagine a world without it or any other single, but she could've released another video as iconic as this for any other song. Plus she was already a global icon by the time In the Zone came out. 

I agree. It’s hard to imagine where she would be without toxic. Maybe everytime would have been bigger ? Maybe it would’ve flopped because it was riding off Toxic’s success. I know one thing though... I could not see Boom Boom going top 10 or top 20. It would probably have a random peak of like #44 and then fizzle. “Single charts” didn’t matter as much back then as they do know but I feel Toxic was the single that truly “defined” that Britney could do albums and singles. As much as I love to bash toxic (more so because I feel the locals ONLY know toxic - well work ***** and womanizer too but ) but it truly is one of the greatest popular songs in music history. 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, fays1 said:

In The Zone would have been a flop album, and we would have had outrageous as her second single which will also flop like Me Against The Music

I don’t think it would’ve flopped. It was already platinum in the states before toxic was a single .... however it would not be looked at as legendary like it is today. 

On 5/23/2020 at 1:29 PM, WorkBishStan94 said:

Listen, I know “Toxic” is a local fave and honestly it’s one of my least favorite Britney singles but everyone seems to just love it. So, my question is this.... where do you think Britney’s career would be without “Toxic”? What if they decided to release “I Got That (Boom Boom)” instead of the legendary “Toxic”? What if the song never saw the light of day? Do you think she would still  be a worldwide pop icon? I personally think she would be still be iconic with “Baby” , “Oops” and “Slave” but “Toxic” is without a doubt the general public’s favorite Britney song. 
tumblr_mg2rd0yR131rw9ncqo1_500.gif.e7c18b451c0d3e06e6b31659b021aa46.gif

Discuss. I’m curious.

featured! 

ComplicatedSmugKiwi-small.gif

• Love 1

I think it would be a great loss for Britney to not have Toxic under her name. People think of different things upon hearing the name "Britney Spears", but Toxic is sure to be at the top 3 most remembered.

The image of Britney, at the peak of her beauty, with diamonds glued all over her body stays with everyone for life.

• Love 1

It's that song that reinvented her image , and proved everyone Britney is a versatile legend that runs the pop game , don't even wanna imagine where she would be without it , clearly still big , but not as much as she is after toxic.... :yaknow:

• Love 4
  • Like 1

She wouldn't have her only grammy. Also it's the general public's favourite Britney song. I don't think it would reduce her icon status necessarily, but it's kind of like removing a jenga piece from a jenga tower. It's difficult to ascertain how much not having toxic as a single would have impacted her career. I believe it was the only single from ITZ to break the top 10 on the hot 100. 

• Love 4
  • Like 1
On 5/23/2020 at 12:46 PM, MissSpearsSaysSo said:

Even though Britney had plenty of big hits and memorable songs, Toxic is what established her as someone the GP could take seriously, and not just as a guilty pleasure. Cuz at the time she wasn’t seen as “cool” anymore. It cemented her as an irrevocable icon. That’s how huge Toxic still is, those who don’t know she still has albums after 2007 are still talking about it. It caused her to be seen by those who hated her, and even though some people didn’t like her, it made her even bigger. I’d even argue that Womanizer had a similar effect. I still think she would have been around but not nearly as visible after her breakdown, Toxic was that magic spark that kept her from fading away. 

this omg

• Love 2

In retrospect, the brilliance of Toxic propelled her career to the next level and dare I say, gave her more longevity and boosted her relevancy. The song and certain scenes from the video have a special IT factor, especially within this generation and the title 'toxic' is practically synonymous with her name at this point. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, BritneySpurs said:

Her career would have been just fine. Toxic is her signature song and most people seem to love it but she has so many other hits.

This! But probably we would have seen Boom Boom (Collipark Radio Mix) or Outrageous released as the second single, and I don't think it's a thing that any of us would like...

Anyway, I could live without Britney's Toxic if Kylie Minogue kept it for herself and released as a single to promote Body Language!

• Love 2

Lets be honest. She would still be an icon no matter. Toxic just came basically to mark her status as a serious artist. I still remember my sister who hater her asking to replay the toxic music video several times. once you hit the GP like that, yes. 

Blackout could've been her best legacy of her career if it wasnt for the breakdown. we have to agree that with good music videos and such, it would slay. Piece Of Me isnt better than Gimme More or Break The Ice imo, and it slayed thanks to the music video. 

• Love 1
  • Super Mods
12 minutes ago, Stifler's Mom said:

Lets be honest. She would still be an icon no matter. Toxic just came basically to mark her status as a serious artist. I still remember my sister who hater her asking to replay the toxic music video several times. once you hit the GP like that, yes. 

Blackout could've been her best legacy of her career if it wasnt for the breakdown. we have to agree that with good music videos and such, it would slay. Piece Of Me isnt better than Gimme More or Break The Ice imo, and it slayed thanks to the music video. 

And for billboard doing her wrong. It ruined her number 1 streak :tifftear:

• Love 2

Honestly, the amount of respect she had from the critics wouldnt be there. Its a timeless and fresh record that i hate to imagine without. I have friends whom favourite songs from britney are toxic and another song. Her career would have been fine, but the ITZ era would be regarded as a flop. It would be her first era not to have a hit single. The amount of popularity Toxic has is more than some artist careers. It was a comeback for then, after MATM in a way...if you compare to the popularity of britneys other lead singles...underperformed. When people thought that she had lost her popularity and never going to have an era like BOMT-Britney, she suddenly dropped the song and BOOM! a #9 in the Billboard, a #1 in the UK charts, 6 million copies WW, a grammy, greatest song of the 00s

• Love 3

To be honest, this is completely difficult to guess. We are assuming the negative impact of a non toxic. What if thanks to not having toxic, she would have not been one of the most followed celebrities, and would have avoided marrying Kevin, or the whole 2007? The record company reacts to sales and drive their direction based on it, so if we would not have had toxic, they would have created another music in the style they know it sells for Britney.

• Love 1