Where would Britney’s career be without “Toxic” ?

Listen, I know “Toxic” is a local fave and honestly it’s one of my least favorite Britney singles but everyone seems to just love it. So, my question is this.... where do you think Britney’s career would be without “Toxic”? What if they decided to release “I Got That (Boom Boom)” instead of the legendary “Toxic”? What if the song never saw the light of day? Do you think she would still  be a worldwide pop icon? I personally think she would be still be iconic with “Baby” , “Oops” and “Slave” but “Toxic” is without a doubt the general public’s favorite Britney song. 
tumblr_mg2rd0yR131rw9ncqo1_500.gif.e7c18b451c0d3e06e6b31659b021aa46.gif

Discuss. I’m curious.

• Love 4
  • Like 1

toxic still sounds fresh after 17 years and was well ahead of its time when released. her only innovative song and it deserves the respect it has garnered, not to mention the visuals from the video to performances. when will baby & oops tbh :thelook: 

as already mentioned, toxic was needed for britney to be taken more seriously as an artist, its just sad her personal life always overshadowed that back then.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, ShatteredAss98 said:

Hi everybody! Long-time lurker here, probably for about 4 years now :searching: Finally decided to make an account and participate in the craziness!

Now Toxic isn't one of my favorite songs ever but it is objectively a masterpiece and as the above user mentions, it cemented a massive proportion of her popularity with the public. I also think, as much as I love many others on ITZ more, it'd make that album a lot less interesting and appreciated. I think Toxic's absence in pop music would be a catastrophe, it added a lot to the zeitgeist, to Britney's career and to many people's lives. :clicktina: Plus I think Britney herself loved it :makeitrain:

Welcome :kiss:

• Love 1

I think toxic is the one song that stood the test of time. Like most artists, a lot of her songs have become a nostalgic piece and has been a time piece for an moment in time (BOMT as an anthem for the 90s). Toxic is the one song that everyone knows and hasn’t really aged. It’s also her only Grammy song

• Love 6

Toxic is a fantastic pop record and did more for Britney with the general public than anything else, she was appreciated again. If Toxic didn’t happen it wouldn’t have affected Britney‘s career massively  but the fact that it did meant that she gained another classic, popular and timeless pop record to her name. 

Toxic is a masterpiece without questions but she had a lot back then. And yes, she gets finally a Grammy, but more because they had no choice. How would they excuse this time not to give her one? This was overdue. Womanizer and even Work ***** were more important for Britney's career. Not because the songs were better. But because of the circumstance. Womanizer was her "comeback" song. And with Work ***** she proved that she is still able to play at the upper league.

• Love 2

I don't think I Got That Boom Boom would have been as big. I remember MATM wasn't really that big and people were getting over her at that point. Toxic brought back a combination of her old school music with a modern twist to it.

• Love 2

It would be a huge loss for Britney without it. Because of the alleged radio ban in 2001-2002 that caused Britney album's singles to flop in the Billboard Hot 100, without Toxic probably In the Zone album and its other singles would have performed poorer. Post-2007, i think the GP would say to her that "she has not accomplished so much before". So yeah, I'm glad that Toxic happened. It would have been a LOT better if it's the lead single instead of MATM. 

• Love 3