Lana Del Rey confirms new album out September 5th, blasts haters who claim she's "glamorizing abuse," mentions main pop girls

• Leader

Lana Del Rey wrote a note to fans venting her frustration about claims that she glamorizes abuse. 

She genuinely wants to know why some our biggest female artists out right now, like Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, Doja Cat, Cardi B and more, can unapologetically sing about $ e x, but she's not given the freedom to sing about what she wants.

BTW, I don't think she's dragging the artists mentioned, just pointing out a double standard.

"I'm fed up with female writers and alt singers saying that I glamorize abuse when in reality I'm just a glamorous person singing about the realities of what we are all now seeing are very prevalent emotionally abusive relationships all over the world."

She added: "There has to be a place in feminism for women who look and act like me -- the kind of woman who says no but men hear yes -- the kind of women who are slated mercilessly for being their authentic, delicate selves," the post continued.

Read the full note below. Thoughts?! 

Related:

lana.jpg

• Love 1

Anyways, I fully agree with her (as you probably guessed based on my “Lana Del Rey is the most influential artist of the past decade” post). Part of what has made Lana so interesting was her ability to make music about something that wasn’t discussed previously. She’s right, no one else was singing about the things she did and she paved the way for female artists to be able to talk about previously undiscussed things as well. 

Talking about things that no one else is talking about allows people experiencing those things to have an outlet and to feel like they’re not alone. I know she certainly gave me something and someone to connect to when all pop music was just happy partying and I was depressed and wanting a hopeless romance like the ones she was singing about. 

As always, I stan :queenflopga:

• Love 5
  • Like 1

I'll start by saying she has a good point. I'm not quite sure the way she worded it and the use of examples were the best way of getting that point across......

Quite a few of the artist she name dropped have received a lot more criticism than Lana has for the music they put out and while she has gotten her fair share, her essay was quite tone deaf. 

• Love 1

I didn't know people thought that way about her music. :idkney: Who are these people? Is it publications or just locals? If it's just locals, then F them. Who cares what they think. :nonono: Just make music Lana. Four for you Lana Del Rey. You go Lana Del Rey. :meryl:

There has to be a place in feminism for women who look and act like me -- the kind of woman who says no but men hear yes

This really hit me hard. I almost teared up. 

• Love 3
  • Like 1
  • Leader
18 minutes ago, Urbanney said:

Second image in this Instagram post:

This could be her White Hot Forever album which she announced was coming this year right after the release of Norman ******* Rockwell last year. Lana said she is also working on two new poetry books with Native American foundations. Although admittedly, she’s been talking about these poetry books for a while now and they still haven’t happened. Quality is worth waiting for though.

Are you excited for her upcoming album and poetry books?

5A9345C8-3E8B-4DC1-8483-47062E4EFBDC.jpeg

My body is ready :shaking:

• Love 1
31 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

I didn't know people thought that way about her music. :idkney: Who are these people? Is it publications or just locals? If it's just locals, then F them. Who cares what they think. :nonono: Just make music Lana. Four for you Lana Del Rey. You go Lana Del Rey. :meryl:

This really hit me hard. I almost teared up. 

back in 2012-2014 she would get dragged to hell and back for her lyrics - there were countless articles about the "he hit me and it felt like a kiss" line. Critics diminished her work because she spoke about these topics. It was incredibly misogynistic

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, coupure_electrique said:

back in 2012-2014 she would get dragged to hell and back for her lyrics - there were countless articles about the "he hit me and it felt like a kiss" line. Critics diminished her work because she spoke about these topics. It was incredibly misogynistic

Omg that's Ultraviolence. :imacat: I can't believe they would focus on that line when the entire record is phenomenal. Just another case of people finding insignificant details about you and blowing it out of proportion just to tear you down. :deadbanana:

• Love 2

Every female gets hate:chrissy:

You think Nicki Beyonce and Ari don't get hate 

Ppl wanted to lynch Beyonce for "Formation"

Ppl said that Mac Miller's death was Aris fault 

And ppl hate on Nicki 24/7

She shouldn't have name dropped :nochillbrit:

To me it's kinda useless cuz everyone is dragging her now she made her case even worse :embarrassney:

• Love 2
  • Like 2
3 minutes ago, BritneyMinaj said:

Every female gets hate:chrissy:

You think Nicki Beyonce and Ari don't get hate 

Ppl wanted to lynch Beyonce for "Formation"

Ppl said that Mac Miller's death was Aris fault 

And ppl hate on Nicki 24/7

She shouldn't have name dropped :nochillbrit:

To me it's kinda useless cuz everyone is dragging her now she made her case even worse :embarrassney:

that wasnt her point - she never discredited the hate women get generally

she's just saying that no one is being dragged for being vulnerable in their lyrics in the way she was.

she's not saying she's the only woman facing criticism - she's just the only one facing criticism for this specific thing - being honest about the less-than-great relationships she's been in

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, coupure_electrique said:

that wasnt her point - she never discredited the hate women get generally

she's just saying that no one is being dragged for being vulnerable in their lyrics in the way she was.

she's not saying she's the only woman facing criticism - she's just the only one facing criticism for this specific thing - being honest about the less-than-great relationships she's been in

nicki gets made fun of bcuz of her husband's past :tired:

nicki was made fun of bcuz she rapped about her ******** in her lyrics :tired:

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block