Happy 54th Birthday to Janet Damita Jo Jackson. Whose birthday is forever sadly eclipsed by the Oops! anniversary?

janet-bday.jpg.4664348afbebea46a6a89b24fda4e121.jpg

On May 16, 1966. The youngest of the Jackson's ten kids. Randy was born with a twin who sadly died right after birth. Janet Damita Jo Jackson was born. 

The only sibling who was able to create her own Superstar status outside Michael Jackson's shadow. 

Ironically, Billboard pointed out while both are in the top ten of all time on the Hot 100. Janet, placed higher than Michael. Billboard did note outside the 80s, Michael Jackson's popularity was hugely eclipsed in the states by the allegations (even though he was found not guilty in 2005).

News reports did state while his sales sucked in the US, internationally he was still celebrated and sold well. While Michael was a huge act internationally, ironically Janet's biggest market was the US. 

Her biggest seller worldwide is 93's Janet, with 20 million sold, but Janet was actually bigger in the US than most people realize.

Europe, particularly the UK. Either she was a hit or miss in that market. Many British fans believe that making Madonna the British representative of US music culture played a huge role in overshadowing Janet in the UK. 

Talking to a few Australians, they said it's a miracle if she'd come back after the press went after her miming. She suffered the same fate as Britney and was hugely trashed by the media during the R&B Fridays tour. 

However, people who attended said it wasn't even as bad as the Australian media painted it to be. It was there way of trying to erase her. Saying, 'we have Madonna and Kylie. We don't need Janet.'

@babyimmafreak90 you probably know how bad the press was on Janet last year. During her first time in OZ in 20 years.

I always feel like when it came to the international market. Janet was very much treated as a second option to Madonna, but was never treated as her own identity or person. 

However, times have changed. Janet is basically forgiven by the media. The biggest apology I have ever seen. Thx to how they all treated her in the halftime show aftermath. 

nasty janet jackson GIF

• Love 1
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Roxxy said:

I saw her tweet earlier and I also thought about this. Her birthday is getting eclipsed by the Oops anniversary. :eheeek:

:yesokay:

In fairness, Oops is everything. She should have chosen a different birthday :jj:

2 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

@babyimmafreak90 you probably know how bad the press was on janet last year. During her first time in oz in 20 years..

Ugh don’t even start me. The Australian media are savages. It’s like they don’t want celebs to come back. TCSBS got absolutely torn to shreds when it came here all for lipping as if fans cared (and didn’t already expect it). So I wasn’t surprised when they tore shreds of Janet. The media here SUCK :didilie:

Janet has definitely been overshadowed here by Madonna. Madonna has always been a critical darling and a trailblazer, Janet is just considered MJs sister. Madonna deserves her successes for sure, but Janet isn’t even really talked about here or considered an icon :sobbing:

• Love 2
  • Haha 1

I like more of Madonnas music, simply because I love pop/dance music and Janet is a bit more RNB, but I like Janets voice, dancing, personality better and I think she’s prettier. And let’s be honest, we know part of the reason Madonna was more successful is because she’s white, Janet has definitely dealt with a lot of racism in her career. Happy birthday Janet! 

6 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

I like more of Madonnas music, simply because I love pop/dance music and Janet is a bit more RNB, but I like Janets voice, dancing, personality better and I think she’s prettier. And let’s be honest, we know part of the reason Madonna was more successful is because she’s white, Janet has definitely dealt with a lot of racism in her career. Happy birthday Janet! 

Why bring up Madonna in a Janet B-day thread? It's like when people compare Britney and Beyonce. Britney is a top contender in Pop and Beyonce is a top contender in R&B/Hip-Hop. They have their own lanes, just like Madge and Janet do.  I get what you're saying, but this isn't the time . 

ボード「Janet Jackson ❤」のピン

• Like 1
19 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

I think of janet as I think of Ciara. Hip pop. It's blends r&B. But it's just pop enough that it has melodies and you can still dance to it. 

13 hours ago, Born2Die said:

Why bring up Madonna in a Janet B-day thread? It's like when people compare Britney and Beyonce. Britney is a top contender in Pop and Beyonce is a top contender in R&B/Hip-Hop. They have their own lanes, just like Madge and Janet do.  I get what you're saying, but this isn't the time . 

ボード「Janet Jackson ❤」のピン

It was already brought up lol. Did you read through the op? That’s the only reason I commented on it. I like them both, but the post talked about how Madonna is bigger than Janet internationally and how Australia pays dust to Janet...

On 5/16/2020 at 11:08 PM, Spicechinodiva said:

janet-bday.jpg.4664348afbebea46a6a89b24fda4e121.jpg

On May 16, 1966. The youngest of the Jackson's ten kids. Randy was born with a twin who sadly died right after birth. Janet Damita Jo Jackson was born. 

The only sibling who was able to create her own Superstar status outside Michael Jackson's shadow. 

Ironically, Billboard pointed out while both are in the top ten of all time on the Hot 100. Janet, placed higher than Michael. Billboard did note outside the 80s, Michael Jackson's popularity was hugely eclipsed in the states by the allegations (even though he was found not guilty in 2005).

News reports did state while his sales sucked in the US, internationally he was still celebrated and sold well. While Michael was a huge act internationally, ironically Janet's biggest market was the US. 

Her biggest seller worldwide is 93's Janet, with 20 million sold, but Janet was actually bigger in the US than most people realize.

Europe, particularly the UK. Either she was a hit or miss in that market. Many British fans believe that making Madonna the British representative of US music culture played a huge role in overshadowing Janet in the UK. 

Talking to a few Australians, they said it's a miracle if she'd come back after the press went after her miming. She suffered the same fate as Britney and was hugely trashed by the media during the R&B Fridays tour. 

However, people who attended said it wasn't even as bad as the Australian media painted it to be. It was there way of trying to erase her. Saying, 'we have Madonna and Kylie. We don't need Janet.'

@babyimmafreak90 you probably know how bad the press was on Janet last year. During her first time in OZ in 20 years.

I always feel like when it came to the international market. Janet was very much treated as a second option to Madonna, but was never treated as her own identity or person. 

However, times have changed. Janet is basically forgiven by the media. The biggest apology I have ever seen. Thx to how they all treated her in the halftime show aftermath. 

nasty janet jackson GIF

Thx for the biography :uknowit:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block