How do you feel about shorter songs becoming more common?

It seems like in the streaming age, artists are regularly releasing songs under 3 minutes and sometimes only just over 2 minutes long. How do you feel about this trend?

Part of me doesn't mind it considering I can have a short attention span sometimes. Other times, it sucks when a song is really good, but too short, but that can also be part of the allure. I'm also the person that listens to Lana Del Rey's almost 10 minute Venice Beach though and it has never felt long, so who knows? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Overall, I guess I don't mind the trend.

Thoughts?

short-songs.jpg.91c0ad67b0d2e055f9610071d6ee706d.jpg

• Love 2
  • Like 1

I think I'm okay with it. :brityes: I'm ok with the short length of Ariana's 7 Rings and that made it my most played song of all time. :barbie: But I guess the only song that I wish was longer is probably Pretty Girls. I wish the dance break on the music video was part of the official version. That would've taken it to the next level. :mattafact:

• Love 3
  • Like 1
53 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

I think I'm okay with it. :brityes: I'm ok with the short length of Ariana's 7 Rings and that made it my most played song of all time. :barbie: But I guess the only song that I wish was longer is probably Pretty Girls. I wish the dance break on the music video was part of the official version. That would've taken it to the next level. :mattafact:

Omg 7 Rings is such a bop! It's my bad beach song! Taste :surprisedney:

I forget what the dance break of the PG mv sounds like tbh. I'll have to go back and listen if I can endure the video :mcorangu:

It depends if the song is good it's ok for me. Take ANTI by the Avon Lady. Full of 2 minutes songs but they are all good af. The album is good thanks to it. Sometimes it's frustrating bc we want more (Hi Higher). 

But I love long songs I think they are the best. You can have a 6 minutes song which feels like 3 songs in one. Or big masterpiece with a real work production (Bad Romance). 

I don't like too much short songs, it sounds like the song wasn't fully exploited and they didn't gave it enough time to make a song with more contents... :verycool:

The ideal for me is around 3:30-4 minutes. But to be honnest, Britney songs are a little shorts too, they finish to early, just when we start enjoying it (essentially songs of the Blackout, FF, Britney Jean albums). :ehidk:

But the most important: always the quality than the quantity! :comingthru:

• Love 1

It’s so funny that you made this topic because I was just thinking the other day about how songs seem to be getting shorter these days. I think I was listening to Coffee by Kelly Rowland and Wasabi by LM back to back and thought these songs go by so quick! 

I mean I get it, in this day and age people’s  attention spans are shorter therefore a shorter catchier song is going to fit in better. Plus the shorter the song the more it can be played on radio and a shorter song will most likely get streamed more times. It also takes less time to create a shorter song making it easier to put out music quicker to keep the public’s attention. I guess it doesn’t bother me as long as the quality doesn’t suffer! 

It’s interesting, back in the 70’s and 80’s long songs were the trend and artists would often release less at a time on an album but the album would still be the same length as a 12-13 track album today. 

I’m not okay with it. Quality music is fading away. You can’t really create a truly good and memorable piece of music and shorten it so much. A good pop song should be at least 3 1/2 minutes. If you’re going by the typical song structure formula you need to have a good length. 

Things are changing because people are being forced into consuming music differently and it’s not as profitable as it was before. Music is my life and I don’t want to see art suffer because of a changing industry. 

• Love 2

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block