Ladies and gents, I present the most underrated pop star of all time...

Kate-bush.jpg.96c8cd72389a04815b47d1a89cd990e3.jpg

Kate Bush!

She is a visionary.

A true artist.

A trailblazer.

And is arguably the most influential female pop star of the last 50 years.

Her work should never be forgotten. From her debut album "The Kick Inside" to her last in 2011 "50 Words For Snow" Her talent is otherworldly. And she has never failed to deliver progressive thinking music full of sonic experimentation and songwriting. She is a brilliant visual artist and songwriter. And most of her videos should have been memes already. They are gold. They are campy/oddball but also incredibly awesome and well ahead of their time.

Bjork, Fiona Apple and FKA Twigs have all openly spoken about their admiration of her work or have referenced her lyrics in their music. But many female pop stars from Robyn to Gwen Stefani to Britney and Lady Gaga have liberally referenced her work, or at the very least their producers and co-songwriters have.

I present you three of her most wonderful songs/videos (among a list that is far too long to list)

The first song/video is "There Goes A Tenner" from her album "The Dreaming" (1982) which was essentially her "Blackout". The one where she went off the rails and started to make straight pop music on her terms. The production was off-kilter and wacky and ahead of its time. The song is about the internal conflict a robber feels while committing a heist. The song is brilliant ska/dance-pop and sounds like it could be a no doubt/britney/blood orange mash up today. The instrumental and harmonies sound like they were released today especially the outro verse.

And next there is this masterpiece of a video and song "This Woman's Work" which was released in 1989, a single from her sixth studio album "The Sensual World". Watch it till the very end and tell me you don't feel every word she's singing and aren't moved by the visuals:

And finally she wrote this anthem to self acceptance and evolution "The Big Sky" on what is widely considered her magnum opus the 1985 album "Hounds of Love". On it she sings "I'm looking at the big sky.../You never understood me/You never really tried" a perfect kiss off to haters and some positive self affirmation for dreamers living in self isolation everywhere in 2020.

Also these are in no ways her three best songs. These are just 3 I could think of off the top of my head.

If you liked any of those songs check out some of her other songs:

"Cloudbusting", "Wow",  "Wuthering Heights", "Running Up That Hill", "Experiment IV", "Under The Ivy" to name a few.

or the following discography:

Never For Ever

The Dreaming

Hounds of Love

The Sensual World

P.S.: Can we get some kate bush gif emojis on here?

kate bush 80s GIF

• Love 1
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Born2Die said:

I honestly thought the pop community been knowing Kate forever?! I see her referenced a lot. I even saw a meme today with her. I really thought because of her online fan presence, that she was a major Pop girl in her time. 

I think the most any of her records have ever sold is over a million (WW). And I think hipsters love her but too many people don't give her credit for her influence.

I feel like LDR is in the same boat tbh

Underrated and for what I say?

They are the farthest thing from basic

:raven:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block