Charli XCX - "I Finally Understand" (song)

• Leader

Charli XCX just released the latest tune from her quarantine album, How I'm Feeling Now, out May 15th.

It's titled "I Finally Understand," a glitchy, quirky beat-tastic auto-tuned sleeper banger produced by A. G. Cook and Mechatok.

Here's what she had to say about it:

The song is basically about, me and my boyfriend are quarantined together during this time. I’m conscious that I’ve spoken about this a lot and I don’t want people to be like, shut up about your boyfriend. Like, “Me and my boyfriend, me and my boyfriend.” Because this is my situation. You know, I’m writing about what I know and we’re quarantined together and our relationship wasn’t in a brilliant place prior to quarantine. We were, I’m not going to say like at the end of the road, but close to it. We were living on separate sides of the country. Even though we were physically far apart, we were emotionally quite distant as well. And this time period, I’m extremely lucky that it has brought us physically close together because now we’re living in the same house but also emotionally, and I finally understand that this person is somebody who I can trust with my life and I will have my security and protection at the front point of their heart no matter what. I feel so lucky to have had that experience. And realize that. So that’s what it’s about, very emo. And you know what, it’s like one of those things where I think it’s coming up on like 60 days now where we’ve been isolated together. And if you’d have told me that two months ago, you’re going to spend 60 days solid with this person who you’re in a relationship with, I would have been like, are you joking? I don’t think that’s possible. But actually it’s been really great and I think it’s proven to me that sometimes in life you just have to throw yourself into something without thinking about what the consequences, what might happen, what could go wrong, what could go right, like just do it. You know?

One thing I have go about is, like, how do you express that you’re in love with someone 10 different times on an album without just sounding like sycophantic, you know? I’ve been really working with that quite a lot and yeah, there are some songs which are about, like, “give me space,” but a lot of the songs are very positive. And this track, when I heard this track, it was a Palmistry track that he sent me and actually he sang this rough melody sketch I wrote. I was just immediately so captured by it and I’ve always wanted to do something with Palmistry. So I think in the old world, the old world, I probably would have made this song like a straight up party song. I don’t remember what parties are like now.

Yeah, I always thought I made really personal music, which I stand by. I always found that my music about partying was very personal because it’s always emotional to me because I suppose as you say it was like a distraction, but I think there is something really kind of pure about talking honestly about the things that are going on in your life and I know that that sounds so songwriter 101 but I’ve never done it.

Thoughts on the new tune?

charli.jpg.1982675e59778849d5c959ac9cf33fc8.jpg

• Love 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block