What is a(n) artist/song/album/trend that you just don't "get?"

dont-get.jpg

This is something/someone that is generally well-loved or acclaimed, but you just don't get it. It doesn't click with you. An example is my friend who, based on all the other music she likes, should love Lana Del Rey and Lorde, but she just doesn't "get" their music. It doesn't appeal to her even though all signs point to seeming like they'd be a perfect fit for her music taste.

What is a(n) artist/song/album/trend that you just don't "get?"

• Like 2

I stan all UK groups. All biggest ones from the late 90s to early to 2000s. Name it, I have them all in my library. I stan all of them growing up. :barbie:

The boy bands, girls groups, and the co-ed groups. The Spice Girls, All Saints, Atomic Kitten, Sugababes, Little Mix, Westlife, Blue, A1, One Direction, Steps, and S Club 7.

But the one legend I could not get into...

Spoiler

Girls Aloud

I don't know whyyy. :kidcries:

I just don't find their music catchy and infectious. I'm just not living when I listen to them. From when I was a teen and still in 2020. I just couldn't. I even bought their greatest hits album TEN when they disbanded cause I really wanted to like them, but I really could nooot enjoy the music. What is wrong with me. :embarrassney:

• Love 2
  • Like 1

- People that say late 00s/early 10s was the peak of pop music clearly don't know anything about the booming late 90s/early 00s industry and how much more musically diverse it was. 

- I don't and will never understand the gays and their fascination with Kylie Minogue. One of the most disposable pop stars ever. I mean, I can see why she never made it in the big in the states... :chrissy:

- The Weeknd is another artist that locals eat up (mostly Gen Z ) that I really don't care for. IMO, it's just watered down R&B and most of his music is a disgrace to what the genre used to be during its glory days.  Soul, emotion, etc. I don't hear any of that in his music. :chrissy:

- Another thing, I will never understand why Knee stans (mostly the Gen-Z gays) are so obsessed with albums like Blackout and Glory when they're either full of meaningless fillers and/or contain some of her most over-processed vocals. 

- Not sure if this is unpopular or not but 2015 was one of the worst years of music...I think of all time. 2008-09 were also sh itty years for music too. Too much autotune and annoying, disposable pop trash over the airwaves. :nyheadache:

- Beyonce is a great vocalist but her singing voice can be like nails to a chalkboard often times. A lot of her music really isn't all that great either. It mostly gets the praise it gets because of the effort she puts into her craft. If only Britney maintained that work ethic. :fakecry:

Anyway, I think that's all for now. :chrissy:

• Like 4
Just now, DignifiedLove said:

Indeed...like imagine having the audacity to say Ariana has no range when she 's one of the few interesting pop stars to debut last decade. Couldn't be us.

You mean, the only popstar who debuted in the 2010s who's doing it like how a popstar should be doing IT. I mean, she's not the best dancer like Britney is. But Ariana's packaging is the popstar package. Singing. Dancing. Being smexual. Some people might not find her smexy, but she sure is h0eing it up and selling herself that way. Very Madonna. Very Britney.

I mean, i'd pick Taylor over Ariana at the end of the day but when i'm in the shower and playing pretend popstar on a world tour, it's not Taylor I perform in the shower. It's Ariana. If you know what I mean. Ariana gives you the ooh ah ah sensation. :chrissy:

• Like 3
58 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

- People that say late 00s/early 10s was the peak of pop music clearly don't know anything about the booming late 90s/early 00s industry and how much more musically diverse it was. 

- I don't and will never understand the gays and their fascination with Kylie Minogue. One of the most disposable pop stars ever. I mean, I can see why she never made it in the big in the states... :chrissy:

- The Weeknd is another artist that locals eat up (mostly my Gen Z friends) that I really don't care for. IMO, it's just watered down R&B and most of his music is a disgrace to what the genre used to be during its glory days.  Soul, emotion, etc. I don't hear any of that in his music. :chrissy:

- Another thing, I will never understand why Knee stans (mostly the Gen-Z gays) are so obsessed with albums like Blackout and Glory when they're either full of meaningless fillers and/or contain some of her most over-processed vocals. 

- Not sure if this is unpopular or not but 2015 was one of the worst years of music...I think of all time. 2008-09 were also sh itty years for music too. Too much autotune and annoying, disposable pop trash over the airwaves. :nyheadache:

- Beyonce is a great vocalist but her singing voice can be like nails to a chalkboard often times. A lot of her music really isn't all that great either. It mostly gets the praise it gets because of the effort she puts into her craft. If only Britney maintained that work ethic. :fakecry:

Anyway, I think that's all for now. :chrissy:

Half of this is tea, other half is try-hard:peasants: 90s was an amazing, peak and cult era for pop music. But the period of pop peaking was from 1976 (if your counting disco)-2007. Kylies  Music (especially fever) was really creative around that time. They were ear-gasm, very catchy and still sound fresh today despite the sound being reminiscent of the early 2000s:ohwut: idk what to say about Weeknd, I have known him since 4th grade...but “After hours” was a fantastic album with a genius production behind it:lizzie: his sound is basically innovative for the Rn’B platform:surejan:plus have you even heard hardest to love? There’s where you find Weeknd’s emotional and vulnerable side. First of all, the reason blackout is fantastic is because it basically changed the pop game. The album came out during a time where pop was so smooth and polish but she broke the trend with the album feeling so gritty, rough and hard without smoothening the instruments and voice:tina: the sound was very much innovative for commercial pop in 2007:yaknow:glory is a very good album in y honest opinion, it came after Breyonka Mess and was a pretty nice album. 2008/2009 music was actually really good ngl. Otherwise I agree wth everything u said, especially on bey

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block