Which of the OG millenial teen pop stars had the best aesthetic?

The best of the gals  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

So, we know there is the sort of iconic quartet of blondes that became famous at the end of the 90s/beginning of the 00s. as the nostalgia wave hits, there is renewed interest in all four of them, and for the first time, they've all been active musically (except Britney but obvi reasons + she has a huge catalogue as is and is still in the media) in the past ~1-2 years and we have heard about them in the news. they were given a rough go back in the day, but some retrospective appreciation is being thrown their way as of late.

so my question is, as images became more important than ever, who had the best aesthetic?

BRITNEY - the archetype of the group and style of teen pop. definitely the most sort of laid back, casual American style. very natural at first, but even when she was done up more often she retained a natural look for the most part. her music was the litmus test for the style and changed from an originally more adult sound to a much more teen friendly, danceable album by the time it was released (her debut, it is). eventually we saw her perfect teen pop, move into ******, moody dance-pop, graduate into the ambient dance sounds of ITZ, eventually giving way to electropop and etc continuing to evolve, with a pretty huge output in music. 

CoX40lC.png

CHRISTINA - the "voice" of the group. had a much more done up style than britney, always sporting makeup and donning pink dip dye hair by 2000. she flipped her image much faster and more drastically than the others, sailing from being considered britney's more diva-esque, soulful understudy to a full fledged *****-pop, dance-rnb queen with stripped, eventually moving on to a very unique swing-pop sound before adopting electropop down the line as well, but retaining her aggressive, rnb-laden sound. she often had a sort of teen girl hip hop-lite style, with the bandanas and all. her music was definitely more rnb tinged than britney's, and is personally my favorite debut of the four. though less successful than britney, she was a major force commercially and easily one of the top female performers of the decade despite a pretty scant output

b1Tt4P8.png

JESSICA - the supposed "alternative" that was supposed to be more wholesome. she was oft marketed as an all american queen of abstinence. she was always more ballad heavy than her counterparts, reflecting her influences being less madonna and janet and more celine dion and mariah carey. she could certainly belt, even though her technique was not the best and got worse over time. her debut was less successful; contrasting the equivalent sales of britney and christina (something like 30+ and 17+ million copies respectively), sweet kisses pulled realistically less than 6 million equivalent sales, most likely. however, she was still popular--a double platinum debut before you're 20 is still pretty great, and she was incredibly famous for a decade or more

V8akyN8.png

MANDY - definitely the sort of fourth musketeer, she was substantially less successful and is probably known more for being an actress now--but she stayed in the spotlight, showing she had starpower just like the other four. she was considerably younger than the rest, so her style was very cutesy, very teen girl, and less sexualized than even jessica who was marketed as chaste and pure. her music was probably the most heavily produced, but interesting moved in an odd, folksy direction as her fame as a musician quickly fell off. 

vhLFhVD.png

BONUS!

toss in these two, our failed teen stars.

miss samantha mumba, successful in the UK and Ireland with modest American success and a career cut short allegedly due more to attitude issues than lack of success.

ouCdV5t.png

and Willa Ford, our attempted "anti-britney" who in reality sported music and style more artificial than Britney, whom she namedropped in her failed album. she later went on to blame 9/11 for her lack of success--Mimi gets away with it because she's Mimi, but it was not quite a cute look for miss Willa.

1JcbchY.png

og.jpg.570402f092ce74fb7ca4f2194049a7d1.jpg

It's obvious that Britney is the top one and this is not biased.

It is why Christina changed her image soooo quickly.  To make herself different.

I finished reading Jessica Simpson's memoir and in it she talks about Britney's affect on her career.  Her music was made to be dancier, they told her to lose weight so she could show her stomach, they made her dance which isn't her strong suit, they made her be sexier even though she promoted her faith and viriginity.  She makes note her songs on Irresistible were very contradicting to who she was.

Christina luckily had big numbers on her own to stand up for herself and go in a different direction.  Jessica's numbers were so low she had to do what the label wanted to keep making music.  But the Britney effect was real.

Bias aside, it’s clearly Britney. It’s why she came before them and stepped out after them. 
No one else has been as big as her since either in sales or mania. At one point, Gaga was hitting the mark but Artpop and Joanne happened. I also thought that Beiber was the modern male Britney but fame hasn’t been a very good friend to him either. 

Without question Britney. Britney's always been a visual artist above almost anything else. She's had many iconic and great looks throughout her career (mostly in the beginning but she still pulls some good looks out). Christina has always had really bad style. She's always worn very ugly outfits and doesn't really have any iconic looks outside of the Dirrty chaps. Jessica is pretty but her style wasn't memorable. Same with Mandy - she was cute but it was obvious that the three other girls were trying to be Britney and never could be.

Samantha Mumba and Willa Ford are not even worth mentioning.

1 hour ago, babyimmafreak90 said:

Bias aside, it’s clearly Britney. It’s why she came before them and stepped out after them. 
No one else has been as big as her since either in sales or mania. At one point, Gaga was hitting the mark but Artpop and Joanne happened. I also thought that Beiber was the modern male Britney but fame hasn’t been a very good friend to him either. 

I agree with you. I still think that Gaga is the closest to "pop princess" after Britney but even her fans hate a lot of her music. And she does't have that many albums so even just hating one is a good portion of her work. Personally, I only like two of her four solo albums. And don't get me started on her newest song. It doesn't give me hope for her new album. When the general public is only into a couple of your few albums, can you really be a "princess of pop"? She's highly respected and I totally get that but music-wise she's not there.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block