1998 VMAs Performance of the iconic Hit The boy is mine definitely showcased the entire drama.

If you were in junior high or high school at this time. You will know that it literally was the summer song of 1998. And appeared on both albums by each act. Though as of today. Outside spotify. The track is locked on Monica's album titled the boy is mine. 

Because brandy bought all her mastsrs to her recordings. She really was super petty to monica and sony music entertainment. 

When she pulled the hello copyright infringement bish. Thus causing Monica's biggest hit as a Brandy track and making any streams actually go to brandy. 

There is a legit fued between these two R&B icons. 

Monica was very street cred like aaliyah but classy. Brandy was the African American princess. Monica dubbed her to safe and not hood. 

Despite I wanna be down basically asking a teenage boy her age is He willing and mindset to total DTF. 

Pop teens couldn't talk this stuff. But R&B acts were more accurate to their audiences. 

Anyway. This song is still the top girl  duet of all time. 13 weeks at #1. Total weeks of 88 on the billboard hot 100. And a double platinum single. Which back in the pure sales day. Was rare for a Single on cd or cassette to sell two million. It rarely happened. But that's how huge this joint is. 

To be honest. I don't think Bang bang will ever be as iconic as this. We are 22 years later. And this is still fresh as it was then. 

FYI. Brandy was playing nice. Monica would have been dragged if the vocal bible unleashed her full power. Oddly Monica sang live. But sounded exactly word to word the actual recording itself. Which is a let down. As when you think live vocals. It's supposed to be different from the recording itself. 

@JordanMiller there will never be another girl duet like this. Ever 

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived