Camila Cabello's "My Oh My" tops Billboard's US Pop Radio Chart. Let's just say... Twitter isn't happy at all

My Oh my has topped Billboards Billboards US pop radio chart. The comments are basically anything but pleasant. 

Comments range from payola, to Why is radio airplay still happening for a racist, to.what needs to be done to ban her from radio airplay.  Most universally all find it disgusting that she still is being played after the tumblr posts revealed her true colors. Most are afraid with Da Baby being huge. Camila could get a third number one single as many pointed out the radio airplay of Girls like you was so strong that it topped the hot 100 alone based off radio airplay and wasn't a streaming hit as many pointed out. But then again..Camila is in the top ten most listened to acts worldwide on spotify. And hasn't left even after the racist posts was revealed.

camila.jpg.8ead92d8c5d315ae0a538a3f710bfd5f.jpg

• Love 2
1 hour ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

can somebody explain me what happened to Camilla? What tumblr? What racism? please recap for me.

Basically, recently, it was discovered that Camila used to have a Tumblr page where she posted and reblogged content based on negative stereotypes of black and asian people, made fun of Chris Brown's 2009 assault of Rihanna, as well as used the n-word. It was only after she was caught that she posted a vague apology to her social media.

Here's a Cosmopolitan article on this situation:

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a30282281/camila-cabello-racist-tumblr-posts-controversy-apology-explained/

4 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

My Oh my has topped Billboards Billboards US pop radio chart. The comments are basically anything but pleasant. 

Comments range from payola, to Why is radio airplay still happening for a racist, to.what needs to be done to ban her from radio airplay.  Most universally all find it disgusting that she still is being played after the tumblr posts revealed her true colors. Most are afraid with Da Baby being huge. Camila could get a third number one single as many pointed out the radio airplay of Girls like you was so strong that it topped the hot 100 alone based off radio airplay and wasn't a streaming hit as many pointed out. But then again..Camila is in the top ten most listened to acts worldwide on spotify. And hasn't left even after the racist posts was revealed..

4 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Twitter means nothing. It might seems like they have a voice and impact, but outside of Twitter they're just a vocal minority. :typing:

4 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Yay! I love My Oh My! It is A BOP:prettyney:

4 hours ago, ColdAsFire88 said:

You can’t stop a camel toe from happening...

angry oh no GIF by CBC

2 hours ago, IForgotYouExisted said:

can somebody explain me what happened to Camilla? What tumblr? What racism? please recap for me.

1 hour ago, Shadow2003 said:

Basically, recently, it was discovered that Camila used to have a Tumblr page where she posted and reblogged content based on negative stereotypes of black and asian people, made fun of Chris Brown's 2009 assault of Rihanna, as well as used the n-word. It was only after she was caught that she posted a vague apology to her social media.

Here's a Cosmopolitan article on this situation:

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/celebs/a30282281

#justiceforglory campaign has started! Stream the album!

• Haha 2

Oh geeze. My Oh My is a bop. Twitter seems like its for overly sensitive ppl stuck in the past. I mean who uses twitter anymore? IG, Snapchat, TikTok, I feel like several other social media platforms have replaced it. Twitter seems so 2010, I feel like it will be the next MySpace, eventually obsolete. Also, Camilla apologized, and she did that stuff when she was like 12, I don’t know her whole life story, but maybe she cane from a trashy family/community that used that type of language and she got older she learned better. Also, I’m guessing these are Normani fans who are outraged. Normani has a VIDEO of her doing/saying racist things, when she was older than Camilla when she did. Ppl make mistakes, as long as they own up to them and learn, we should forgive them. I hope Camilla does get another number 1 so ppl will stop giving her **** and calling her a flop. I’m not saying she’s a legend, but the hate even before the racist stuff came out was too much. 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

Also, Camilla apologized, and she did that stuff when she was like 12, I don’t know her whole life story, but maybe she cane from a trashy family/community that used that type of language and she got older she learned better. Also, I’m guessing these are Normani fans who are outraged. Normani has a VIDEO of her doing/saying racist things, when she was older than Camilla when she did. Ppl make mistakes, as long as they own up to them and learn, we should forgive them. I hope Camilla does get another number 1 so ppl will stop giving her **** and calling her a flop. I’m not saying she’s a legend, but the hate even before the racist stuff came out was too much.

First of all, Camila was actually 15 when she made those posts (born in 1997, posts made around 2012). That definitely feels old enough for someone to know that that word is harmful to me. Second, racism isn't like teenage rebellion: it doesn't just magically go away with age. Third, from the information I was able to find, Camila's family moved to the United States and struggled financially, but she seems to have a good relationship with her parents. Fourth, yes, Normani made jokes using stereotypes of Asian people and that was wrong, but does that excuse Camila's behavior? No, absolutely not. Finally, if you are black and you forgive Camila, then I cannot judge you and it's your decision, but every black person has to decide for themselves whether or not they forgive Camila and you shouldn't really tell them how they should react to her apology.

• Love 2
  • Like 3
3 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

Oh geeze. My Oh My is a bop. Twitter seems like its for overly sensitive ppl stuck in the past. I mean who uses twitter anymore? IG, Snapchat, TikTok, I feel like several other social media platforms have replaced it. Twitter seems so 2010, I feel like it will be the next MySpace, eventually obsolete. Also, Camilla apologized, and she did that stuff when she was like 12, I don’t know her whole life story, but maybe she cane from a trashy family/community that used that type of language and she got older she learned better. Also, I’m guessing these are Normani fans who are outraged. Normani has a VIDEO of her doing/saying racist things, when she was older than Camilla when she did. Ppl make mistakes, as long as they own up to them and learn, we should forgive them. I hope Camilla does get another number 1 so ppl will stop giving her **** and calling her a flop. I’m not saying she’s a legend, but the hate even before the racist stuff came out was too much. 

I don't think Twitter will ever go away. Its to ingrained in the fabric of social media and life now. It will become most likely TV, where everyone used to watch it, it still exists, makes new shows. But no one is watching live. 

Twitter will loose relevance but other than that its still there. It's impact however has never been strong. Twitter has always been a place where a small group of people are very, very loud; then people believe that's general consensus. It's not.

Besides all that, no one cares anymore about this social justice stuff. The pandemic has made us realize there are more important things in life than someone being racist 10 years ago.

• Like 1

I'm so happy for her, she really deserves this. Yes she made mistakes in her past, but if you're a fan of her you can clearly see she has changed and has a heart of gold. As Demi said, support the change and show forgiveness, rather than engage in cancel culture. I hope MOM goes to #1 on the Hot 100, she deserves this after all the flop singles from Romance.

• Content Curators

I like My Oh My, and I will stream it, but Racist Camila is a nasty person, from multiple occasions of using the n word, making fun of black people, to the faux relationship and calling the paps every day before she walks out. The tumblr posts were not the only thing. She still consistently called Normani the n-word after 5H was formed. I just tend to separate the good art from the person. 

• Love 1
  • Like 1
22 hours ago, MyLittlePopstar said:

Being 26 and mostly hanging out with people around the same age - Twitter still holds much more relevance and spreading messages than TikTok - TikTok is actually looked down upon as ****ty games for children up to the age of 16 and "cool" moms that forgot they have grown up and do not look cool doing cringy lip-sync shows to random audios from the net. Moreover TikTok is overtly used in India. I don't see it a worldwide phenomenon really. At least in Portugal I don't know anyone my age using it.

Snapchat right now has less active users than Twitter. It's good for ***** is what it is. Don't see what else they have in common really.  :chrissy:

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block