Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' still sells nearly 40 years after its release

There are albums that are timeless. Albums that are events. And albums that set a benchmark. Normally it's one of three.

However Michael Jackson's 1982 Juggernaut "Thriller" is one of those albums that can claim all three. 

Still to this day. The biggest selling album of all time ever. 60 to 100 Million depending on the source you get the info from. Michael's official website states 100 Million. So i go from the actual source itself. 

Helped define MTV and Black music in general as Several racial barriers were crossed and broken with this album. 

Put Michael up there with the Beatles and Elvis. No other Black music star I can think of truly achieved that. Only two females made it into MJ territory Madonna and of course Britney spears. Britney's was more mirrored by the paparazzi scope and them trying to create a narrative. Unfortunately for Michael. Michael was so big. He couldn't hide in plain sight. Britney was able to. 

But anyway fast forward to 2020. 

Thriller still sells. And according to both Spotify and Michael's website. Thriller is the most streamed album from the 1980's. He is the only 1980's music star to be one of the top 100 streamed artists worldwide on Spotify. Despite a documentary that many wondered if it was true or not. 2019's leaving Neverland.  

I have talked to several victims of that kind of abuse. They watched the documentary. All have basically said. It never happened. The body language didn't match the words coming out of their mouths. 

mj.jpg

• Love 3
  • Like 3

That propaganda film was created precisely because there are some really powerful (and racist) a...holes in the UK and US TV and Film industry who can't stand that this black dude reached to where Elvis and Beatles could reach only. They timed it to the 10th anniversary of his death, not a coincidence. And you are right the body language itself shows how fake the whole thing is. They are acting.

Yep Thriller is still on Billboard 200 as we speak and there are not too pre 2000 many albums there

what's incredible that Essential Michael Jackson is also on Billboard 200 and that album has 7 out of the 9 Thriller songs

• Love 4
21 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Thriller still sells. And according to both Spotify and Michael's website. Thriller is the most streamed album from the 1980's. He is the only 1980's music star to be one of the top 100 streamed artists worldwide on Spotify. Despite a documentary that many wondered if it was true or not. 2019's leaving Neverland.  

Wow!!!:airpls: if I’m not wrong, Baby one more time is the most streamed album of the 90s with over a billion streams:ahhh:

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Spicechinodiva said:

Put Michael up there with the Beatles and Elvis. No other Black music star I can think of truly achieved that. Only two females made it into MJ territory Madonna and of course Britney spears. Britney's was more mirrored by the paparazzi scope and them trying to create a narrative. Unfortunately for Michael. Michael was so big. He couldn't hide in plain sight. Britney was able to. 

I know nobody could ever compare any artist to Michael Freaking Jackson, but looking over the analysis, Britney and MJ have had so many similarities!:rlynow:

-Michael has the best sellling album of all time/Britney has the best selling teen and debut album of all time

-Both of their debut records have sold 30 million copies and above

-They have had very iconic music videos (Thriller & Toxic/BOMT)

-They both faced mega-success and were catapulted into mega-stardom (Britney was the most searched a celebrity from 1998-2008 and Michael Jackson has been known by 98% people around the globe by a taken survey)

-Michael Jackson’s peak was 1979-1989/ Britney’s peak was 1998-2009

-Thriller is the most streamed album of the 1980s/Baby one more time is the most streamed album of the 90s

-Both have had iconic performances throughout the career

-Both might have faced mega-stardom, but were very humble people

-They both faced their personal downfalls

-They both were crushed by the media and tabloid and had dozens of paparazzi hovering over them

• Love 1

I'm such a huge fan. One thing that I hope his estate allows to stream when the ten year exclusive deal ends. 

The ultimate fan extras collection. Over 8 hours of rare Demos, songs in early form like dangerous. To rare tracks only issued to Pepsi especially someone put your hand out. Plus club remixes instrumentals and the classic 80s extended mix or long version. Have anybody heard the long version of Billie Jean. That was the length he wanted. But was told to shave. Even the iconic intro. 

Quincy said it was too long.

But Michael said that's the jelly. That's what makes him want to dance. He won. Cos like Quincy said. When Michael said that's what makes him want to dance. We just gotta sit down and shut up.

FYI. I respect their music. But I'm still shocked thar his respect for MJ. Became hatred. 

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Spicechinodiva said:

I'm such a huge fan. One thing that I hope his estate allows to stream when the ten year exclusive deal ends. 

The ultimate fan extras collection. Over 8 hours of rare Demos, songs in early form like dangerous. To rare tracks only issued to Pepsi especially someone put your hand out. Plus club remixes instrumentals and the classic 80s extended mix or long version. Have anybody heard the long version of Billie Jean. That was the length he wanted. But was told to shave. Even the iconic intro. 

Quincy said it was too long.

But Michael said that's the jelly. That's what makes him want to dance. He won. Cos like Quincy said. When Michael said that's what makes him want to dance. We just gotta sit down and shut up.

FYI. I respect their music. But I'm still shocked thar his respect for MJ. Became hatred. 

So true, I had read an autobiography on MJ and throughout the book, I could see how Quincy started slowly hating MJ:kyliecry:it’s honestly, so sad because they created the best music together and had strong chemistry:crying1:opbut oh well I guess...

6 minutes ago, Britneylandia said:

I mean he had talent and stuff but he’s probably the most overrated artist ever tbh, sorry :chrissy:

Well, it's hard to overrate when you are already the perfect performer at age 10. Look at this

or this

• Love 3

Ya'll selectively picking when to believe people's assault claims and when not to :cackling:

The world was unrelentingly mocking America when a person accused that Brett guy, with no corroborating evidence, and everyone was nonetheless on board with her and her claim :cackling:

And here in this case, with far more complaints and people coming forward and far more corroborating evidence, you guys choose to say theyre all lying because you personally like the artist :cackling:

Im all for seperating artistry and personal life of an artist (to an extent).

But at least have the decency to be consistent, otherwise youre just exposing yourselves as interest-driven hypocrites and thats not a cute look at all :mariahstare:

1 hour ago, Britneylandia said:

I mean he had talent and stuff but he’s probably the most overrated artist ever tbh, sorry :chrissy:

Please elaborate. The most overrated artist ever. 

Unlike Madonna who several lined up for her throne..

Michael has no successor. People say both justin as in Timberlake and bieber. And even chris brown. But trust me. Michael Jackson and Prince don't really have a successor. They sealed their thrones permanently. 

You need to understand. Michael was born  to be a star. His family couldn't ignore it. Even his mother. Katherine who wanted to keep the Jacksons a family act. Had to accept that Michael was the star of the family. 

Just ask @bingoz

@Blackout2006

Janet had to drop her last name to separate her own musical Identity outside the family. As many critics and haters felt that because she was a Jackson and Michael's sister. That's why she has a career.

But none of the other siblings outside of Janet Damita Jo Jackson was able to merge a huge entertainment career from her brothers career.

Several biographies state. He was shocked that Janet wasn't selling at his level. Cos he loved her music. Even on her birthday signed a photo of her calling her the queen of music.

If you really wanna know what breaks my heart. Janet is raising her son. Without her best friend by her side. 

• Love 2
  • Like 1

@DonoDotto you are really wrong. Nobody has come after wade and his cronie. 

A construction plan revealed that the train James was talking about didn't exist until 94. After the so called abuse happened allegedly 

As for wade. Knowing the estate in 2011 was gonna do a huge las Las Vegas residency. He approached for a job. They went with another collaborator of MJ jamie king who had better credentials as a stage director than a few NSync tour. 

Directed several of Madonna tours,  The hugely successful 2007-2008 reunion tour of the Spice girls, Avril Lavigne,  Britney's circus tour and Femme fatale. 

Wade came out as a hater cos he lost a lucrative job. Notice how his lawsuit was denied. 

Trust me. His timeline was hella shady. 

Ironically after he did these allegations.  I noticed nobody was calling him for choreographer gigs and was fired from so you think you can dance. 

He got his Karma. 

@Blackout2006

@bingoz

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

@DonoDotto you are really wrong. Nobody has come after wade and his cronie. 

A construction plan revealed that the train James was talking about didn't exist until 94. After the so called abuse happened allegedly 

As for wade. Knowing the estate in 2011 was gonna do a huge las Las Vegas residency. He approached for a job. They went with another collaborator of MJ jamie king who had better credentials as a stage director than a few NSync tour. 

Directed several of Madonna tours,  The hugely successful 2007-2008 reunion tour of the Spice girls, Avril Lavigne,  Britney's circus tour and Femme fatale. 

Wade came out as a hater cos he lost a lucrative job. Notice how his lawsuit was denied. 

Trust me. His timeline was hella shady. 

Ironically after he did these allegations.  I noticed nobody was calling him for choreographer gigs and was fired from so you think you can dance. 

He got his Karma. 

@Blackout2006

@bingoz

This really isnt about just Wade.

Accusations against Michael Jackson are numerous and came far before that documentary was even a thing. Its just that lots of people didnt care enough to pay attention.

And regardless of whether or not inviting children over for sleepovers with him in his bed was ****** in nature or not, its still super inappropriate and possibly traumatic for the children involved.

Im not here to say whether this or that allegation against him is true, Im here to call out the hypocrisy of the GP (and probably some of you guys) when it comes to believing or discounting accusers. Because it is morally despicable to base your belief and subsequent advocacy of an allegation on whether or not you like the person who is being accused, as opposed to whether or not there is sufficient and ample corroborating evidence.

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block