Jeff Goldblum gets backlash for Islam comments on 'RuPaul's Drag Race'

Jordan Miller

• Leader

Actor Jeff Goldblum appeared as one of the guest judges on RuPaul's Drag Race.

He's embroiled in controversy for asking if Islam was "anti-homosexuality" and "anti-woman" during Friday night’s episode of the show.

"Is there something in this religion that is anti-homosexuality and anti-woman? Does that complicate the issue? I'm just raising it and thinking out loud and maybe being stupid," he said.

It happened during a segment where one of the contestants,  Jackie Cox (whose non-drag name is Darius Rose), wore a red-striped caftan with a midnight blue hijab outlined with 50 silver stars.

Goldblum was criticized because Islam is not alone in being a religion that that has historically discriminated against women and the LGBTQ community. 

While tearful on the runway, Cox shared that "it’s a complex issue" and she has her "own misgivings about the way LGBT people are treated in the Middle East."

"At the same time, I am one," Cox continued. "What is so important to me is that if you just happen to be different, then live that truth."

While cultural norms and traditional readings of Islamic sacred text can promote a heteronormative binary of gender identification and ****** orientation, according to a recent survey by Public Religion Research Institute, more than half (52 percent) of American Muslims agreed that "society should approve of homosexuality." 

There is definitely a conversation to be had here.

Exhale, what do you think about this? 

jeff-rupaul.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get why people don't like that this was brought up, simply because islamics are a minority group that does get harassed quite often, but the man is not wrong. Just like most, if not all, religions there is homophobia he brought up valid points in my opinion. It's funny that people are so quick to throw stones at someone who is just asking questions.

• Leader
1 hour ago, Garrett said:

I get why people don't like that this was brought up, simply because islamics are a minority group that does get harassed quite often, but the man is not wrong. Just like most, if not all, religions there is homophobia he brought up valid points in my opinion. It's funny that people are so quick to throw stones at someone who is just asking questions.

Do you think what he said was insensitive?

Stories like this one just continue to show the ridiculous sensitivity that we all live in today. Once can’t ask a legitimate question, that they claim ignorance on, without this “cancel culture” taking over.

It’s ridiculous and actually makes me want to root for the oppressors. 

3 hours ago, JordanMiller said:

Do you think what he said was insensitive?

I mean it's pretty apparent in that most religions consider homosexuality as sin. I'm pretty sure most islamics, just like most christians, would disapprove a drag queen trying to represent, or whatever you call it, their religion. I don't see how what he said was insensitive, maybe I am being ignorant, but what he said was not malicious  imo. 

Bruh christians are notorious homophobes but we love so many of them at the same time. And many christians arent homophobes so the same could be said about any religion. But the guy did bring up a valid question. We should question these religions btw. Any group that discriminates. 

As with many things these days, people are so quick to jump at someone and create this cancel culture. He was just asking a question, and a very valid one in my opinion, and also if anything he gave the contestant a stepping stone to speak on the matter and have their voice heard about an important subject. No one seemed bothered by it,, but of course people just want to throw hate around and negativity. This makes me sad and upset. Sending peace and love. Happy Monday.

So many wrongs. There's something that especially .."westeners" will never understand. Christianity is the same as Islam which is the same as Judiasim , same theologies , slightly updated. All these religions classify homosexuality as a sin. The woman comment is straight up islamaphobic too , women choose to own their bodies and to follow instructions to cover up instead of being objectified constantly. So no , it does not disciminate against woman at all , it is simply a matter of choice to follow or not . Many muslim women believe it or not do not actually do not wear hijab whatsoever yet they're perfectly muslim living their best lives in the middle of the middle east and islamic countries. 

The issue with him or even any lets say "westener" making a comment like this is the fact that lots struggle to diffrentiate culture between religion. The Arabic culture can be intense but this intensity does not represent the actual religion, the same as extreme christians whom are living amongsts us here in the west. So the woman comment? Completely uncalled for , not your place to decide a woman is "oppressed" , have a conversation with a muslim woman whos wearing a hijab and ask her straight up " are you oppressed?" And let her answer you   then demonstrate your opinion accordingly.  But no , misogyny  is deep rooted even in the form of feminism. We still "want" women and "need" them to follow our own version of liberty and equality. This man carries himself as logical but he's got a long way to go.  

Summer2summer, you sound hella ignorant and miseducated. Have you even been to the Middle East. Women are shunned for not wearing a hijab and a lot of the times forced/manipulated into arranged marriage. Yea, they can choose wether or not to wear it, but that decision can impact wether your family alienates you or not. I didn’t sense any islamophpbia at all, people are allowed to ask questions. I’m Arab and grew up Muslim, it was awful.  Don’t you dare ever say that women have free will to choose in Islam or the Middle East, it discounts all the inequality they still suffer till this day!!

And for those of you saying other religions are similar. We’ve been criticizing  and mocking Judaism and Christianity for decades in the media. Rarely Islam as people feared for their lives for saying anything. Example: the illustrator who was killed for making a comic about Mohammed. Can we stop this cancel culture bull**** and have real intelligent conversations about **** that should be concerning?!?!?

I think the truth rests between Summer2summer and MonAmour point of view

Homosexuality is a sin in all the monotheist religions, that's not even a question to debate!

As for women, sure the majority of muslim women have the right to choose now between wearing or not wearing the hijab, and nobody blinks an eye. I live in Morocco, an arab muslim country, but women here dress the same as westners, skirts, crop tops, and it's getting normal year after year. BUT when it comes to the laws of the Islam, the women has less power and importance as men do. Ex : if a parent dies, the daughter gets the half of what the son gets. Religions are Masculin, there's no way to deny that. 

Jordan, you picked a hard and long topic to discuss.

3 hours ago, the_blackout said:

I think the truth rests between Summer2summer and MonAmour point of view

Homosexuality is a sin in all the monotheist religions, that's not even a question to debate!

As for women, sure the majority of muslim women have the right to choose now between wearing or not wearing the hijab, and nobody blinks an eye. I live in Morocco, an arab muslim country, but women here dress the same as westners, skirts, crop tops, and it's getting normal year after year. BUT when it comes to the laws of the Islam, the women has less power and importance as men do. Ex : if a parent dies, the daughter gets the half of what the son gets. Religions are Masculin, there's no way to deny that. 

Jordan, you picked a hard and long topic to discuss.

Yet , Islam came to be to fight misygony as arabs ( like the west in the dark ages) were extremely horrible to women . And prophet Mohammad basically had a daughter that inherited his entire religous power and fortune and started the biggest division in Islam because she was not happy with mohammad's companions' horrible trearment to her . And to this day she's the biggest and prime character to real muslims. 

I've also lived in the middle east , yes misygony is alive and well but it is deep rooted in culture not religion. And the west's hypocricy is also alive and well since there's still horrible treatment towards women especially in the law that is ruled by patriachy. So it's just as horrible everywhere towards women , infact women in the middle east have more qualifications and degrees than women in the Europe Americas and Australia put together. They just choose to be housewives that work part time , go on shopping sprees and invest in their husband's wealth and money. 

It's a form of lifestyle that Europeans , americans and other cultures view with a condescending eye. Yes it has crucial factors but trust me so does the other side of the world and their treatment of women. Having said that i take no side in each story. Im just oberving the two sides and being pragmatic.  I've studied many religions including islam very very closely and when you twelve deep in its ideology lots of feminist antology lies beneath it , Believe it or not. I know that sounds controversial , but owning your body as a woman is quite mislead in the west as bikinis , makeup , and high heels were all inventions by ...men. so let that sink in. Which could be as equal of an argument as " why are you covering yourself up , free yourself" ...well i've got a close muslim girlfriend  who basically replied with " why are you showcasing your entire body for men's pleasure"? 

It's all to do with , east vs west lifestyle. Look at the western law and its approach to **** , just disgusting . If you **** in the mid east , you're instantly dead. So ....yeah . 

Archived