remember when Britney wasn't cheap

conceptuel

2011, Rihanna "Britney has never been a feature on any song". Song topped the chart & billboard named the performance as the most iconic one of billboard history a few years ago.

2012, will.i.am feature, didn't give a ****, never performed it with him, WW hit.

and then, 0 solo single in 7 years, her last one being perfume. feats with Z-list artists. her image has turned to a cheap one.
in 2011 featuring with Britney =/= in 2020 featuring with Britney. 

same goes with how they promote her, how is her instagram (could potentially have 60-80 million followers, based on how much her videos were viewed). 

at 19 she did the Super Bowl, performed with MJ.

in her 30s she did a collaboration with Miley Cyrus in bangerz? featured Igloo Australia? Performed her second single with Tinasha? her first one with G-Eazy? 

bruh. honestly, I would've just preferred her to stop music in 2012. it wouldn't have damaged her image.

she still has the potential to change it. but at this stage, she keeps sabotaging her legacy.

in 2013: WB great MV, era sabotaged because of the inexistant promotion. the fun thing is that WB is her last signature hit. could've been much much much bigger, as she made hit after hit (6 singles, 2 nb1, 2 top3, 1 top10). wasted opportunity

then, mess with perfume: ****ty video, nobody cared, 0 promotion. result: flop. as if they wanted it. 

in 2015: pretty girls spoke for itself. 

in 2016, the whole era was treated like ****. both MV of MM were utter crap: the original one featured a wannabe-****star in weird leotards, the second one was awful. here is it: nobody supporter the MV, 0 replay potential, destroyed the song when Britney's known for her MV. 
performance at the VMAs: playback, forgettable, yellow leotard, 3 hair flips, 0 stage: at 19, she put a jungle on stage, at 36, she does 3 moves as if she was clubbing with her besties. 

after that? 3 festival shows. and that's it. September: end of the era. 0 world tour. could've done a successful tour, but she was with her residency. slumber party was a poor single choice, same for the theme of the MV. didn't promote it. 

conclusion: they & she did everything to not be successful: 0 promotion, scrapping things, etc etc etc.

BJ & Glory could've been number 1 on the charts.
WB & MM could've eaaaasily entered the top 5.
second singles were poor choices.

social medias were/are messy. 

a decade that started with massive success, that ended with sabotaged success. 

why did I wrote this? idk xx

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see it as sabotaging her legacy. These are the peaks and valleys of a superstar's career. When Britney was 19 at the peak of her fame and full of passion everything was coming up roses. 14 years in after a major breakdown, conservatorship, knee injury, and two kids, the circumstances changed.

While the last 8 years or so certanintly could of been handled better and haven't been her at her peak, it's still a huge reach to say that it's damaged the already cemented legacy of one of the greatest pop artists of all time. She's released some good music still and performed well in moments. 

I'm not talking about Britney of course!

essentially about her management team. with the same amount of work from her, they could've get things 10000 times better managed.

& I know that her legacy is still huge: she even gets more views on her instagram videos than Miley Cyrus (4-5 times more), with 80 million less followers. 

my whole point is just that these last years, they managed her career like ****, and missed big opportunities.

Not the vibe, "bruh". :imacat:

First of all, collaborating with lesser stars does not make her cheap. Just because you don't like the artists she collaborated with, it don't mean it was a mistake. If anything, it was bad promotion and mediocre quality of the song is what made it perform poorly. And not because she featured a lesser artist than her.

The collaborations she did post Scream & Shout all made sense to certain extent and you can't say it was bad or a mistake. At the time when she did a song with Miley, Miley was literally on top of the world and to be quite honest - it would serve our fave more than Miley had they released a music video for SMS (Bangerz) because let's be real - Miley owned 2013 together with Katy Perry and Beyoncé on the final weeks of the year.

As for Pretty Girls, let's not forget how Iggy Azalea dominated 2014 together with Ariana Grande. Iggy had 3 simultaneous Hot 100 Top 10s and Fancy not only is one of the most successful female rap songs in history but she was Billboard's #3 Top Artist for 2014.

With G-Eazy, Me, Myself, & I was already a Top 10 hit for G-Eazy waaay before Make Me was released.

Moreover, both Fancy and Me, Myself, & I outsold and outlasted all of Britney's post-breakdown singles most especially her two biggest hits Womanizer and Scream & Shout.

So please, let's stop bringing down these artists because it's not like they auditioned for a collab. If anything, our fave wanted and needed them to stay relevant. Like how Madonna did when she hopped onto Me Against The Music.

Let's not act as if our fave has been pulling big numbers and is too cool for these artists because Britney hasn't been on a Top 10 of any of Billboard's Year End charts since 2009 where she placed as the #7 Top Artist. Even Iggy peaked higher than that in 2014 by placing at #3.

Statements that make Britney to be like someone who's above collaborating with new, up & coming, and burgeoning artists are ignorant and completely and utterly delusional.  :mattafact:

The Tinashe collab was charity - at best.

14 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Not the vibe, "bruh". :imacat:

First of all, collaborating with lesser stars does not make her cheap. Just because you don't like the artists she collaborated with, it don't mean it was a mistake. If anything, it was bad promotion and mediocre quality of the song is what made it perform poorly. And not because she featured a lesser artist than her.

The collaborations she did post Scream & Shout all made sense to certain extent and you can't say it was bad or a mistake. At the time when she did a song with Miley, Miley was literally on top of the world and to be quite honest - it would serve our fave more than Miley had they released a music video for SMS (Bangerz) because let's be real - Miley owned 2013 together with Katy Perry and Beyoncé on the final weeks of the year.

As for Pretty Girls, let's not forget how Iggy Azalea dominated 2014 together with Ariana Grande. Iggy had 3 simultaneous Hot 100 Top 10s and Fancy not only is one of the most successful female rap songs in history but she was Billboard's #3 Top Artist for 2014.

With G-Eazy, Me, Myself, & I was already a Top 10 hit for G-Eazy waaay before Make Me was released.

Moreover, both Fancy and Me, Myself, & I outsold and outlasted all of Britney's post-breakdown singles most especially her two biggest hits Womanizer and Scream & Shout.

So please, let's stop bringing down artist because it's not like they auditioned for a collab. If anything, our fave wanted and needed them to stay relevant. Like how Madonna did when she hopped onto Me Against The Music.

Let's not act as if our fave has been pulling big numbers and is too cool for these artists because Britney hasn't been on a Top 10 of any of Billboard's Year End charts since 2009 where she placed as the #7 Top Artist. Even Iggy peaked higher than that in 2014 by placing at #3.

Statements that make Britney to be like someone who's above collaborating with new, up & coming, and burgeoning artists are ignorant and completely and utterly delusional.  :mattafact:

That was actually one of my points for these collabs: surfing on new successful artists.

G-Eazy and Iggy Azalea screamed Macklemore & all those artists that have one/two hits.

What I find cheap is this kinda thing: “I collab with artits that just had a hit” 

and Madonna didn’t do that with Britney in 2003. She made a single with an artist that had 3 number one albums, 3 world tours, a super bowl performance, 3 VMA performances that made history & a performance with MJ. 

britney performed and did the same in 2011: rihanna was 5-6 years into her career.

so Madonna did with Britney what Britney did with Rihanna in terms of collaboration.

you can’t compare it with Iggy Azalea let alone G-East.

and for Miley, she appeared on her album, it wasn’t a single or a quality song: hence why i did find it cheap. a collaboration with two pop stars => a single and not some bonus track in the middle of an album.

and I agree about the quality of the song.

I actually liked her collaboration with Giorgio: simple, doesn’t scream “i need to chart guys”, and artistic.

I just dislike the fact that Britney has been doing this since 2013 : 0. solo. singles. just collaborations with trendy artists that fade in 5 months.

one collaboration with an A-list is cool.

one other with a less known artist also.

but defensively not all of your singles for several years being collaborations. she can stand on her own.

20 minutes ago, conceptuel said:

That was actually one of my points for these collabs: surfing on new successful artists.

G-Eazy and Iggy Azalea screamed Macklemore & all those artists that have one/two hits.

What I find cheap is this kinda thing: “I collab with artits that just had a hit” 

and Madonna didn’t do that with Britney in 2003. She made a single with an artist that had 3 number one albums, 3 world tours, a super bowl performance, 3 VMA performances that made history & a performance with MJ. 

britney performed and did the same in 2011: rihanna was 5-6 years into her career.

so Madonna did with Britney what Britney did with Rihanna in terms of collaboration.

you can’t compare it with Iggy Azalea let alone G-East.

and for Miley, she appeared on her album, it wasn’t a single or a quality song: hence why i did find it cheap. a collaboration with two pop stars => a single and not some bonus track in the middle of an album.

and I agree about the quality of the song.

I actually liked her collaboration with Giorgio: simple, doesn’t scream “i need to chart guys”, and artistic.

I just dislike the fact that Britney has been doing this since 2013 : 0. solo. singles. just collaborations with trendy artists that fade in 5 months.

one collaboration with an A-list is cool.

one other with a less known artist also.

but defensively not all of your singles for several years being collaborations. she can stand on her own.

Regardless if Britney was already more established when Me Against the Music happened, and Iggy and G-Eazy weren't as big as peak Britney, they were still very relavant and miles more relevant than Britney was during the period of Fancy and Me, Myself, & I. She needed them more than they need her.

And your points are opinions. Like comparing them to Macklemore which quite frankly sounds prejudiced and ignorant - like you obviously do not know a lot about pop culture to be throwing shade to these artists because their 'one hits' have outsold all of Britney's post breakdown singles - maybe even her pre-breakdown singles with the exception of ...Baby One More Time.

Atleast both Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Iggy Azalea have been nominated in more than one major category at the Grammys - and one of these two acts actually have a Big 4 win and have 4 times as more Grammys as our fave. Something our fave hasn't accomplished in all of her 22 years in the industry. All that with just their "one hit" - your words, not mine. :mattafact:

FYI Iggy Azalea, G-Eazy, and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are not one hit wonders. Iggy is actually a 3 hit wonder. The three other men are 2 hit wonders. And all their hits individually with the exception of Iggy Azalea's Black Widow outsold and outlasted on the Hot 100 all of Britney's post and pre-breakdown singles in the US. And they did that way before streaming became what it is today.

Lastly, if you think these "flop collaborations" have ruined her legacy, I beg to disagree. Because despite all that, she was still honored by Billboard with the Millenium Award in 2016. :imacat:

Lots of good points in this thread.

I think her biggest problem has been mismanagement.

Femme Fatale was a good era, especially as far as music videos are concerned (that's an immortal part of your legacy).

Then Britney Jean rolled around with all it's extra effed up promotion.

The desert event that was made out to be this MAJOR thing and then nothing.

Perfume being the SECOND single was a mistake, EVERY ballad stalls the era. Then with all this talk of an amazing video with a cool plotline, then it's all switched at the last second? It totally deserved to be a single, just it being the second single was the misstep.

Then the whole shytshow that was Glory, such an amazing album screwed by a lackluster lead single (it's single #3 material at best). Then the music video and album art fiasco cuz of the drama with David LaChapelle .

Then Slumber Party being more of of slower sultry song didn't give the era the oompf it needed to recover.

Then all the missteps with Pitbull and thanks to Universal she was passed up for Camilla Cabello (thank God cuz the song was trash).

I hope she gets out of this conservatoship asap, because I don't believe she completely wants to leave the industry, not after all she delivered musically to Glory. She's still in there...

33 minutes ago, Roxxy said:

Regardless if Britney was already more established when Me Against the Music happened, and Iggy and G-Eazy weren't as big as peak Britney, they were still very relavant and miles more relevant than Britney was during the period of Fancy and Me, Myself, & I. She needed them more than they need her.

And your points are opinions. Like comparing them to Macklemore which quite frankly sounds prejudiced and ignorant - like you obviously do not know a lot about pop culture to be throwing shade to these artists because their 'one hits' have outsold all of Britney's post breakdown singles - maybe even her pre-breakdown singles with the exception of ...Baby One More Time.

Atleast both Macklemore & Ryan Lewis and Iggy Azalea have been nominated in more than one major category at the Grammys - and one of these two acts actually have a Big 4 win and have 4 times as more Grammys as our fave. Something our fave hasn't accomplished in all of her 22 years in the industry. All that with just their "one hit" - your words, not mine. :mattafact:

FYI Iggy Azalea, G-Eazy, and Macklemore & Ryan Lewis are not one hit wonders. Iggy is actually a 3 hit wonder. The three other men are 2 hit wonders. And all their hits individually with the exception of Iggy Azalea's Black Widow outsold and outlasted on the Hot 100 all of Britney's post and pre-breakdown singles in the US. And they did that way before streaming became what it is today.

Lastly, if you think these "flop collaborations" have ruined her legacy, I beg to disagree. Because despite all that, she was still honored by Billboard with the Millenium Award in 2016. :imacat:

I said at the end of my post that her legacy wasn’t completely dead, just that it isn’t as “wow” as before or exclusive, just as Rihanna said in 2011, when she was SHOKED that Britney accepted to be a feat on her album, because she never did that. Today, she’d be like “she appeared in the middle of Miley’s first real album, is that that exclusive?”

About the other artists: yes, they had massive hits. But I still don’t think that Iggy’s 3 hit singles permitted her to build any legacy. That’s what I’m trying to say. Having one or two hits (3 for Iggy) isn’t enough.

Would you prefer having 2 massive hits and disappear, or 2 massive eras? BOMT and Oops were Diamond certifiés when Britney was a teen. Any single barely had the success of the hits that we talk about. But once again, in 20 years, what will be remembered? Spoiler alert: not Carly Rae Jensen.

Their hits may have punctually outsold anything Britney did, and have more awards (does that mean a lot though? Toxic didn’t win a VMA, and lost to a MV that... anybody hardly remembers. Same for BOMT that lost to Genie in a bottle at the Grammys. Doesn’t really mean a thing), BUT it doesn’t mean that they’ve built any image or legacy after that. Look at G-Eazy, Macklemore, Ryan Lewis, Carly Rae Jensen: 2 hits, and that’s it. 

Madonna didn’t collaborate with Britney after “Crazy” dropped out: she did collaborate with an artist that did the super bowl, and that had 3 massively successful ERAS, 3 WT, 3 albums, etc. After building a sort of relationship with her. Madonna didn’t collaborate with artists that had 1 massive hit one after the other. Britney did the same with Rihanna. Britney/Rihanna is comparable to what Madonna did. 

And I maintain my words: collaborating with “in” NEW artist because they had ONE hit a month before is cheap when you do it IN A ROW (sorry for the capital letters: too lazy to make it bold, not trying to be unpleasant/sarcastic!).

I wanted her to keep that “exclusivity” of the Britney collaboration that she used to have in 2012. Not collaborating with “in” and “fade” artists one after the other, especially when she doesn’t need them (Scream and Shout being biggest will i am solo single who was NOT a “Ive just topped the charts and I’m new to the industry” in 2012 ; WB being more successful than any single that appeared after)

Bangerz was awkward.

Pretty Girls was ridiculous.

Tom’s Diner could’ve been treated better.

MM shouldn’t have been a collaboration: all of her leads were solos. 

SP: let’s not even talk about it. 

15 minutes ago, ol123 said:

britney spears lol GIF Keep dreaming

when you see what kind of **** hits the charts :tina:

nah more seriously, it could’ve been number one, here’s why:

- with a better treatment, WB could’ve been a huge hit and one of her biggest signature songs. 

- after S&S and FF success and a desert performance with Britney performing better than the last two eras, the hype would’ve been huge.

- BJ could’ve been number 1 the first week, because almost nobody would’ve listened to that trash: people buys their copy, and makes it number one the first week, and then Myah fiasco happens, and it flops

- better singles chosen after that to make it sell better

i mean in 2013 most of you did buy the album because you didn’t listen to it lol

36 minutes ago, conceptuel said:

I said at the end of my post that her legacy wasn’t completely dead, just that it isn’t as “wow” as before or exclusive, just as Rihanna said in 2011, when she was SHOKED that Britney accepted to be a feat on her album, because she never did that. Today, she’d be like “she appeared in the middle of Miley’s first real album, is that that exclusive?”

About the other artists: yes, they had massive hits. But I still don’t think that Iggy’s 3 hit singles permitted her to build any legacy. That’s what I’m trying to say. Having one or two hits (3 for Iggy) isn’t enough.

Would you prefer having 2 massive hits and disappear, or 2 massive eras? BOMT and Oops were Diamond certifiés when Britney was a teen. Any single barely had the success of the hits that we talk about. But once again, in 20 years, what will be remembered? Spoiler alert: not Carly Rae Jensen.

Their hits may have punctually outsold anything Britney did, and have more awards (does that mean a lot though? Toxic didn’t win a VMA, and lost to a MV that... anybody hardly remembers. Same for BOMT that lost to Genie in a bottle at the Grammys. Doesn’t really mean a thing), BUT it doesn’t mean that they’ve built any image or legacy after that. Look at G-Eazy, Macklemore, Ryan Lewis, Carly Rae Jensen: 2 hits, and that’s it. 

Madonna didn’t collaborate with Britney after “Crazy” dropped out: she did collaborate with an artist that did the super bowl, and that had 3 massively successful ERAS, 3 WT, 3 albums, etc. After building a sort of relationship with her. Madonna didn’t collaborate with artists that had 1 massive hit one after the other. Britney did the same with Rihanna. Britney/Rihanna is comparable to what Madonna did. 

And I maintain my words: collaborating with “in” NEW artist because they had ONE hit a month before is cheap when you do it IN A ROW (sorry for the capital letters: too lazy to make it bold, not trying to be unpleasant/sarcastic!).

I wanted her to keep that “exclusivity” of the Britney collaboration that she used to have in 2012. Not collaborating with “in” and “fade” artists one after the other, especially when she doesn’t need them (Scream and Shout being biggest will i am solo single who was NOT a “Ive just topped the charts and I’m new to the industry” in 2012 ; WB being more successful than any single that appeared after)

Bangerz was awkward.

Pretty Girls was ridiculous.

Tom’s Diner could’ve been treated better.

MM shouldn’t have been a collaboration: all of her leads were solos. 

SP: let’s not even talk about it. 

Again, all opinions - that are more based on taste and prejudice, than logic and facts.

I don't stan any of these artists because I am loyal to Britney Spears only. But what I will not do is discredit these artists and downplay their successes and pretend like they weren't a big deal during the time when Britney collaborated with them.

It's pointless to debate with you because you keep bringing your prejudice against these artists while I have been giving you the facts and you still choose to downplay their successes.

I understand that you are young and you weren't alive for most of the history of this world but it wouldn't hurt if you read more about pop culture especially when you are arguing about iconic pop culture moments such as points in Britney's career. Like, it wouldn't hurt to do research, read more, and not keep to your faves. Pop culture is much, much bigger than your own taste:imacat:

I read half of the OP but honestly, as a fan of Britney Spears music, I'm happy with what she has put out. Yeah some of these features are sh.it but i liked Bangerz, Make Me, and Slumber Party. Sabi on Drop Dead is filth even if it gave the B Army " steaming like a pot full of vegetables". 

I used to care about her legacy and the respect she deserves but she doesn't care. She hasnt for years. So I've accepted it and appreciate the music she gives us because I love Britney the musical artist. 

I think it's time B Army realizes Britney no longer wants the same success and fame she used to have. She's not putting in the work Madonna, Beyonce or Gaga does to stay relevant and innovative. I think too much success is associated with hyper fame for her and after 2007/2008 I think she wants nothing like that again. So she doesnt play the game anymore.

5 hours ago, Born2Die said:

I read half of the OP but honestly, as a fan of Britney Spears music, I'm happy with what she has put out. Yeah some of these features are sh.it but i liked Bangerz, Make Me, and Slumber Party. Sabi on Drop Dead is filth even if it gave the B Army " steaming like a pot full of vegetables". 

I used to care about her legacy and the respect she deserves but she doesn't care. She hasnt for years. So I've accepted it and appreciate the music she gives us because I love Britney the musical artist. 

I think it's time B Army realizes Britney no longer wants the same success and fame she used to have. She's not putting in the work Madonna, Beyonce or Gaga does to stay relevant and innovative. I think too much success is associated with hyper fame for her and after 2007/2008 I think she wants nothing like that again. So she doesnt play the game anymore.

Sad but very true. 

Her team have did her dirty since the conservatorship was put in place. 

Where Britney’s team wanted her to do an animated video for BOMT and Britney stepped in and came up with the school girl theme - now she doesn’t have say so they’ll go with their own idea over her’s. 

It’s sad but they have ruined every last bit of credibility she had. Plus you can see the sadness and disinterest in her eyes she literally doesn’t care anymore and hasn’t done for 10+ years 

8 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Preach it. I couldn't have said it better.

8 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Exactly, and I don't even like Miley. She was on top of the world. The song itself was too "weird" for gp and it didn't receive the single treatment, but that's another story.

8 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Exactly. The problem was the song itself being not so good and Iggy facing huge backlash back then. Had it been released just 6 months prior it would have been received better.

8 hours ago, Roxxy said:

Exactly. G-Eazy was exploding back when Make Me was released. The song is just amazing and his contribution to it (despite it being succesful or not) fit PERFECTLY. 

8 hours ago, Roxxy said:

So please, let's stop bringing down these artists because it's not like they auditioned for a collab. If anything, our fave wanted and needed them to stay relevant. Like how Madonna did when she hopped onto Me Against The Music.

Just preach.

8 hours ago, Roxxy said:

The duet with Tinashe didn't work because her contribution to the song was absolutely non existent. The song didn't need her at all. 
The collaboration itself was not a bad thing: Tinashe is a HUGE fan of Britney, they shared the same record company and the fans were asking for a duet. And Tinashe is pretty talented! It was pretty much wasted, but could have been a good non-single album track. 

The SABI featuring could have been avoided, simply because it was BAD. Like real bad, and she was a total nobody.

Archived