Apple music gave spotify a major headache today.

Spicechinodiva

Billboard just revealed Apple music launched in 52 new markets in the last 24 hours. 52 Markets that Spotify hasn't been able to maintain a presence. According to Billboard. This is causing spotify to reshuffle it's strategy. And a few layoffs are rolling. No surprise Daniel Ek is upset with the latest blow against the tech giant. Apple music and Amazon music has more markets and reach than Spotify. Heck. Apple music is still the top streaming service in the US. Which is making daniel think about pulling spotify out of the US market. 

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good. Spotify is trash. Literally the worst layout and interface of all the streaming services. Plus, Spotify is one of the worst when it comes to paying their artists:

Streaming service Avg. payout per stream # of streams to earn one dollar # of streams to earn minimum wage*
Napster $0.019 53 77,474
Tidal $0.0125 80 117,760
Apple Music $0.00735 136 200,272
Google Play Music $0.00676 147 217,751
Deezer $0.0064 156 230,000
Spotify $0.00437 229 336,842
Amazon $0.00402 249 366,169
Pandora** $0.00133 752 1,106,767
YouTube $0.00069 1,449 2,133,333

:donewithit: Spotify used to be good, but now that there is no separate 'Tracks' tab and you have to 'Like' songs separately for them to go into that stupid "Liked Songs" playlist... Who thought that was a good idea? Maybe some of you might prefer that, but, personally, I absolutely DESPISE that change. Returned to Apple Music after that and have not looked back. :nyschool:

I stan Spotify pretty hard, and this is coming from an otherwise Apple fanboy. I can’t believe Apple, who is all about their ecosystem, doesn’t allow you to control music from other devices, like how Spotify Connect lets you. Also, Apple’s music recommendations haven’t been good for me compared to Spotify. Additionally, I love the ability to find playlists other users have made on Spotify and the social features. I also prefer Spotify’s UI and podcast player over Apple’s. Apple Music’s desktop app isn’t good either imo.

The reason Spotify cant pay artists as much as Apple is because they were the first main player of the modern streaming music industry. Then, Apple came in and bought Beats, so had less upfront costs, and installed Apple Music on all iOS devices. It’s anticompetitive. Apple has more cash and has more businesses to diversify with. Spotify’s only business is Spotify. I support the “small business” in this case and I think they have a better product anyways. 

36 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Literally the ONLY thing keeping me on Spotify is that it comes with Hulu. $9.99 for Spotify Premium and Hulu is a steal. I also love the yearly favorites playlists they customize for you. When Apple Music starts giving me year playlists is when I’ll finally switch 

They are already doing year playlists since 2019. You can even have the year playlists from the years before. 

I listen to my music offline and only use my Spotify Premium for albums I do not own (that are relevant) and really there's only so few that I do not own (that are relevant). :imacat:

Tbh, my main use for Spotify is for my Instagram. I like to share what i'm currently listening to so I find the song/album on Spotify and share it on my Instagram story - even if i'm listening to it offline and not on Spotify. It's more for aesthetic purposes, than music consumption. :haha:

On 4/24/2020 at 7:30 PM, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Wth how come I didn’t know this? No one posts Apple Music year ends. Everyone posts Spotify on Insta so I wasn’t aware that they had been doing it as well 

https://music.apple.com/replay

And the best part is that you can access it all year round. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it might not be as comprehensive as Spotify's, but it's updated weekly, so it's really handy. :indulge: Plus, if you get the iTunes PC app, you can log in with your account and see the specific play counts of specific songs. You can even add your own cover art and change track / album names if you're into that sort of thing. :lizzie:

2 hours ago, iAlwaysSingLive said:

https://music.apple.com/replay

And the best part is that you can access it all year round. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it might not be as comprehensive as Spotify's, but it's updated weekly, so it's really handy. :indulge: Plus, if you get the iTunes PC app, you can log in with your account and see the specific play counts of specific songs. You can even add your own cover art and change track / album names if you're into that sort of thing. :lizzie:

I think this is the same as Spotify’s “On Repeat” Playlist and “Repeat Rewind” that’s updated pretty frequently. I really do like how Apple Music looks more than Spotify, but I wouldn’t want to pay for Apple Music and then pay for Hulu as well. I want to google what their end of year playlists look like 

On 4/24/2020 at 9:50 AM, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Good. Spotify is trash. Literally the worst layout and interface of all the streaming services. Plus, Spotify is one of the worst when it comes to paying their artists:

Streaming service Avg. payout per stream # of streams to earn one dollar # of streams to earn minimum wage*
Napster $0.019 53 77,474
Tidal $0.0125 80 117,760
Apple Music $0.00735 136 200,272
Google Play Music $0.00676 147 217,751
Deezer $0.0064 156 230,000
Spotify $0.00437 229 336,842
Amazon $0.00402 249 366,169
Pandora** $0.00133 752 1,106,767
YouTube $0.00069 1,449 2,133,333

Since Napster pays artists the most per stream, I wanted to join it and check it out, but, unfortunatey, it's not available in Poland. :disappointed:

On 4/24/2020 at 9:50 AM, iAlwaysSingLive said:

Spotify used to be good, but now that there is no separate 'Tracks' tab and you have to 'Like' songs separately for them to go into that stupid "Liked Songs" playlist... Who thought that was a good idea? Maybe some of you might prefer that, but, personally, I absolutely DESPISE that change. Returned to Apple Music after that and have not looked back. :nyschool:

For me, the most annoying change is that there are no longer 2 separate pages for an album depending on whether you open it from an artist's page or your library. In the past, when you opened it from the artist's page, you'd see a list of every song and at the bottom, you'd see "More by [artist]" with their other releases. Then, when you opened it from your library, the album cover would be much 'sharper' (if that makes sense) and it'd only show the songs you saved. So, for example, if I saved Blackout but not "Everybody", that song would not show up in my library.

Not that long ago, however, the library page was removed and now it doesn't matter where you open the album from, it's always like from the artist's page. Meaning that the songs I don't have saved still show up in my library and I have to skip them myself whenever I'm listening to the album. :sickofu:

Archived