The Blackout era...

MrPieceOfMe

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The album ended up being a great album because Britney started making it before all the 07 drama, I dare to say that she started in late 05 or early 06, given it was said (not sure) she stated Heaven On Earth was the first song she wrote or recorded when she was still pregnat because it was about Sean but anyways... the point is her mental state was great, she didn't have the pressure she had in 07 and she wasn´t managed by anyone at the time so all the decisions made for the Blackout making were made by her, that's why she's credited as executive producer.

SO..... considering all the things that happened after Blackout was released it would have ended up being a whole mess, maybe even worse than what it was:

- the music videos form the Blackout era are her worst 

- the vma's performace was a mess considering what we expected from Brit at the time having her prime days as the closest reference 

- her work ethic at the time was no where to be found, one day could good the next day she would never show up 

16 minutes ago, Million Billion said:

The album ended up being a great album because Britney started making it before all the 07 drama, I dare to say that she started in late 05 or early 06, given it was said (not sure) she stated Heaven On Earth was the first song she wrote or recorded when she was still pregnat because it was about Sean but anyways... the point is her mental state was great, she didn't have the pressure she had in 07 and she wasn´t managed by anyone at the time so all the decisions made for the Blackout making were made by her, that's why she's credited as executive producer.

SO..... considering all the things that happened after Blackout was released it would have ended up being a whole mess, maybe even worse than what it was:

- the music videos form the Blackout era are her worst 

- the vma's performace was a mess considering what we expected from Brit at the time having her prime days as the closest reference 

- her work ethic at the time was no where to be found, one day could good the next day she would never show up 

I agree :bigtime:

In my opinion, this era was not fun for Britney due to her personal problems ofc. 

But in my opinion, the VMA wasn't "that" bad as many say. Well, the outfit was horrible, I agree. Let's not talk about her hair extension and blue contacts (oh and why she weared them?). But to be honnest, and say my opinion...the performance/choreography is still faaaaar better than actual performances (and almost 10 years, except few ones but very fewers). 

Well, music videos of the Blackout era are not perfect ofc, but Piece Of Me (the best mv of this era) is still a good music video (for me, Glory era MVs are the worst, they don't fit Britney' style). And Piece Of Me won for the best mv in 2007 iirc.

Gimme More is well...special. The song is just, wow. But I have to admit that the mv is not enough good, the whole mv is only took on the same place, with visual effects, no choreography, no story, there's nothing that makes any sense, even the lip-sync is not correct on some parts... But it have its time, the first complete mv with Britney with black hair was special, people never saw her like that and the real complex mv with a complete story with a funeral was canceled. 

Break the ice is just an animation, so yeah..

Anyway, the Blackout era was great because the album is well made and introduces a new brand style of Britney musics.

I remember seeing the gimme more performance and though omfg what is happening. I was telling everyone how she was coming back to primeney and...:ehidk: then i said well wait for the mv and...:firega: so by that point i said ok...the album will be phenomenal and the rest will get better but then she went out and raged for halloween and lost custody of her boys...:tired: lets face it britney was a hott mess express during this era BUT everyone loved the album. I really thought piece of me would have turned things around...it could have but she wasn't well. By this point it was obvious that she was going THRU it and I cried so much for her. :crying1:

It would have been incredible to see her slay all of it during this era and do a very dancey/club era. I think the funeral scene rumored video would have slayed. I imagined break the ice being an iconic video along with toy soldier and freakshow getting a proper single treatment. The tour could have been out of this world.

I feel like we got all of this (kind of) plus more with Circus so I think thats why we let the whole “blackout era” go. Britney came out a warrior princess of pop. 

britney spears GIF by iHeartRadio

Sidenote: how did Selena Gomez get away with her AMA’s performance not getting ripped apart? THAT WAS AWFUL

• 3 weeks later...

if her life wasn't going to hell in a handbag courtesy of the media, her management, everyone around her, and ***** fed to her by lutfi, i think the album would've been pretty huge. everyone was anticipating her comeback, ITZ getting cut short bc of the injury really left a gap. i mean gimme more got no promo other than the vma disaster, the other singles no promo, yet gimme more was her highest charting since her fkn debut & piece of me did fantastic as well, and break the ice didn't bomb at all considering she didnt even film a video for it. it wasn't far off in the charts from the peak of me against the music which is pretty amazing. imo radar would've not done that well as a fourth single though...

a nice little fantasy of blackout with a stable britney:

gimme more - #1 for 2-3 weeks, becomes her most successful single after BOMT and Toxic, gets fairly strong promo

piece of me - peak anywhere between #1 and #10, release in late october, very successful track with more chart longevity than gimme more despite getting much less promo than GM

break the ice - heavy promotional push, release mid-january ish, peak between #5 and #10, less successful than first two singles but a very well performing song nonetheless

heaven on earth - push as a more minor single maybe around valentine's day in february, peak somewhere between #20 and #40, would be a very new sound for britney and an image softener

hot as ice - screams single, reminds me of maneater by nelly furtado. a decent push and a peak between #10 and #25 with decent chart longevity

ooh ooh baby/perfect lover/toy soldier/freakshow - maybe push one of these as a more minor single release or release as promotional single(s). ooh ooh baby would be very different for her (it's like the 2007 conception of madonna releasing la isla bonita in 1986); perfect lover feels the most like a single ready track (and could easily get some kind of hip hop feature remix to support it); toy soldier would be risky but could go big; freakshow may perform not as good but i could see it absolutely killing any and all club scenes if it got a single release, and maybe perform better in europe than america

then you could get the blackout rerelease (imagine if we got that rumored ITZ rerelease too, like it was just a thing britney did for her albums in this timeline) with the songs that ended on circus (blur, kill the lights for sure i think? what else was, womanizer, phonography, maybe rock boy? idk) + maybe some outtakes like kiss you all over and the bonus tracks etc. release at least one majorly pushed single from it, 1-2 other minor or major releases, then close it all out with Why Should I Be Sad. she could forgo touring immediately n stuff and instead focus on promo and singles as touring would've been bad news for her even in a universe where she wasn't in full meltdown by late 2007.

1 hour ago, Million Billion said:

Well, this man came into Britney's life by late 07, didnt he? Im sure Blackout's making finished by mid-07, at much before the vma's. 

Probably, but he was the one suing Britney for his share of income from that period of her career lol , so he attributes to himself the management of Britney during the Blackout era. :haha:

I think one of the biggest records is this Blackout!! 12 Lovable songs.

I don't know what happen but VMA 07 there was intentional, ok the performance was not the best, but the dressing was awful, the stage good, but i preferred that she performed piece of me, with a good team is she's not capacity to do that show i preferred to cancel, she pay a high price for that performance. 

Is one of her darkest era, her vibe was too low, you can understand now why shy dated a paparazzi, why she shave her hair, too many downs and lows day after day, and the day the  drugged retained the children  and left britney outside of his house screaming. is horrible. 

Well people, Blackout is still a successful album and almost everyone would agree. JIVE knew they would not lose money and bother to make promos... Do you want to know why? Medias are doing the promo: :smokney2::gtfo::gum::embarrassed:

Yes, sadly, her breakdown was popular, Britney Spears was the number 1 searched keywords of Google in 2007. So it's normal that Blackout was a success in the time, and her MVs are maybe the cheapest in the Blackout Era but it introduces a new style: don't need an expensive mv, cuz any mv works with me, cuz it's Britney bi**h! :gimmemoar:

The only good thing about the “Blackout” era was the actual album itself everything else was sub par. As a fan I so wish Britney delivered this whilst still in her prime - the album deserved better visuals and killer performances and a tour to bring the album to life. 

It's definitely fascinating that one of her best albums is her worst era. Obviously she was going through something terrible but it's a shame she didn't wait to release it when she could promote it properly. If she had just waited a year it still would have been incredible music but they could have made proper videos and a tour. Gimme More prob would have hit #1 like Womanizer did.

I can't figure out how it even got released. She didn't have a proper manager at the time and her multiple PAs were cling-ons. Was her label personally contacting her to show up for videos and stuff? I can't see Britney showing up to meetings and all back then, she was mostly partying. Her label knew there were big issues going on so why would they allow it to be released in the middle of all of that?

Anyway, here's my dream tour setlist:

ACT 1:
Break The Ice
Radar
Oops!...I Did It Again (electronic mix)
Freakshow

ACT 2:
Someday (I Will Understand)
Heaven On Earth
Ooh Ooh Baby
Toy Soldier
Piece Of Me

ACT 3:
Get Naked (I Got A Plan)
Toxic (rock mix)
Perfect Lover
Everytime
Why Should I Be Sad

ACT 4:
Me Against The Music (disco mix)
I'm A Slave 4 U (trance mix)
Stronger (tribal mix)
...Baby One More Time (80s mix)

ENCORE:
Gimme More

2 hours ago, BritneyMinaj said:

i loved the no interviews and everything it's like taylor's reputation

Taylor was doing that to make a statement. Britney was just a hot mess and was too busy clubbing:badgirl:

There's too many "what-if's" for Blackout. To make the era "successful" you have to turn EVERYTHING into make believe. Britney was never set up for success. She was destined to fail because Jive and her team figured: Britney failing = increased views/interest. The fans wanted to see Britney succeed. The world wanted to see her fail so they could continue to laugh at her.

• 3 months later...

Sadly I think what made Blackout so interesting was that it was a sort of reflection of her life at that time. The music was very edgy and very dark. There was also great mystery over her at the time and her life was falling apart. 

There’s no question whether if it had a proper promotional schedule that it would have been successful but I think releasing it in 2007 also added to the mystery of that time in her life. The album is so Britney yet Britney wasn’t really present. It’s hard to explain. It was perfect timing for an album like that as it set the tone for many other albums coming out around that time. 

Tbh Britney still wasn’t 100% during that era, so I’m kinda glad in a way there wasn’t much promo. The VMAs performance didn’t exactly help. I’m just thankful that 1. We got a brilliant pop album, one of Britney’s best and 2. The album still managed to chart well with minimal promotion. 

Archived