Sam smith describes their third album as "2020 ABBA"

Spicechinodiva

Sam Smith revealed to Zane Lowe on Apple Music Beats 1 that their new album has taken an interesting turn.

It's inspired by Swedish 70s group ABBA. “It’s 2020 ABBA,” they said.

“I’m trying to own that because that is a genuine feeling that comes out sometimes in the studio and it’s fun,” they continue. “It’s really fun to go to that place. With us, with me and Demi singing, I know that we’re so inspired by those things [like musical theater].” They consider it an F U to the status quo. “I think this song really, for me, is about feeling no shame in some of the things that I make because I’m releasing music in a climate where music’s really cool a lot of the time. It’s really, really cool.”

“It’s me saying that I’m going to reach and it’s okay, you know?” they continued. “And it’s okay to play around and have these moments without feeling ashamed for being really pop, you know? When you see the video, you’re going to scream.”

Smith is doing a disco album based on the 70s version. Not the 80s MTV trend as they dub it.

They also announced that "Dancing With A Stranger" with Normani, "How do you sleep?" and "To Die For" are likely to be excluded from the new revamped third album.

That means their Calvin Harris collaboration "Promises" and their cover of Donna Summer's disco classic "I Feel Love" is still on the final project.

Are you ready for Disco Sam Smith?

How Do You Sleep GIF by Sam Smith

70s dancing GIF by ABBA

sam-smith.jpg

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can see him going in 2 ways:

the first is going to be typical pop-disco -based on his previous basic-and-not-catchy-NOR-good-enough-for-my-mtv-to-play-but-plays-sometime-at-forever21 singles :qtbrit:
the second is that hes going out of his way and give us a future nostalgia/confessions/fine line and makes us shift our pants :lustney:

CHOSE YOUR FIGHTER :endit:

Archived