Ellen DeGeneres' production crew furious over pay cuts and lack of communication

Jordan Miller

• Leader

The way Ellen DeGeneres makes everyone pressed (except P!nk) :chrissy:

Her production crew is leaking details to Variety about how their payment issues and treatment amidst the pandemic. Ellen is recording her show from home, so it's causing friction with her employees.

- Crew claims say they were "left in the dark" about their pay and employment status for two weeks in late March and early April.

- Weren't sure if they would have to file for unemployment or not.

- Some of the crew members, who have been with the show since it started airing, didn't find out that Ellen was building a set at her house until April 2nd when other people on the show posted about it on social media.

- "Ellen" hired a non-union group to replace them doing the technical work on the in-home show.

- Only four members of the original crew are still working. 

- The rest of the crew members are upset that no one from the show's leadership has reached out to them.

- Warner Brothers said that they had to make changes to how the show is produced due to social-distancing so they hired outsiders, and said it was cleared by the union. However, the union also told workers they would continued to be paid. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

- Crew members' pay was first reduced from four 10-hour days to four 8-hour days, then down to two 8-hour days.

- Crew members reached out to peers on other shows and found out that Jimmy Kimmel was paying employees out of his pocket until ABC took over, and "Last Week with John Oliver," "Full Frontal with Samantha Bee," and "Desus & Mero" are all paying full rates and communicating well. Warner Brothers says that daily talk shows + production teams are a different animal. Variety notes that Ellen is paid over $50 million a year.

Thoughts?? :chrissy:

ellen-crew.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like her show but I think she's a btch. It has been documented more than once, her behavior off set is not that good, insensetive tweets, being plain rude, ... has been going around for years and now this? Can't say I'm surprised. She needs to come back to planet earth and stop acting like she can do everything she wants to do or say

• Leader
16 minutes ago, Intheblue said:

She’s known to be an awful employer. She actually comes off like a jerk on her show ... so doesn’t surprise me. She paved the way for a lot but she definitely lacks humility and empathy 

It's interesting bc a lot of it was rumors and speculation before. Her employees are now going to the press :howdareyou:

Archived