What would have been Britney’s career path If she had released The Original Doll?

puresin_rg

She was definitely going for a much darker sound and that was definitely showing up when she released her cover of My Prerogative.

Rebellion and Mona Lisa are definitely songs with completely different sounds than her previous albums..I can only imagine how impactful the music video could have been..!

Did scrapping up of her The Original Doll album lead to her breakdown or was it just a way to communicate with her fans or maybe She wanted to take a complete different direction?? What do y’all think?!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

she would have been taken more serious as an artist from an introspective standpoint. like others have stated in the past, it would have also reinvented her image and helped her public perception. i think it would have also helped her in the long-run as well to not be so afraid of taking more artistic and creative risks as a maturing pop artist who was once deemed as being 'manufactured'. 

based on the demos and leaks, original doll was shaping up to be some of her best material and i'm still upset at her label for sabotaging what could have been a game-changer. :fakecry:

13 minutes ago, Daxx said:

I honestly think it would have flopped, although it might have been a fan favourite. From what we've heard that "belonged" to Original Doll, nothing sounds like it would have been commercially successful. :pensiveney:

Yeah It can be but I guess the sounds could work now..I can only imagine a dark spell music video for rebellion.

I guess the scrapped up idea for original doll turned into blackout..And I do have a feeling some songs on blackout belonged to original doll..

1 hour ago, DignifiedLove said:

she would have been taken more serious as an artist from an introspective standpoint. like others have stated in the past, it would have also reinvented her image and helped her public perception. i think it would have also helped her in the long-run as well to not be so afraid of taking more artistic and creative risks as a maturing pop artist who was once deemed as being 'manufactured'. 

i mean - based on the demos and leaks, original doll was shaping up to be some of her best material and i'm still upset at her label for sabotaging what could have been a game-changer. :fakecry:

Yeah me too :(( 

I guess she wanted to completely change her bubblegum pop image to something more darker

If the album was released now in 2020 it will be a smash hit!!

Original Doll wasn't dark at all. It was very fun and electro. It wasn't that different from ITZ. Some songs reminds me of Madonna's American Life album.

It's the songs she made after that, when she was pregnant and from 2006 on, that could have changed her career path . Songs like Rebellion, Let Go, All That She wants, Sugarfall,.. showed another side of her.

3 minutes ago, Louis_j said:

Original Doll wasn't dark at all. It was very fun and electro. It wasn't that different from ITZ. Some songs reminds me of Madonna's American Life album.

It's the songs she made after that, when she was pregnant and from 2006 on, that could have changed her career path . Songs like Rebellion, Let Go, All That She wants, Sugarfall,.. showed another side of her.

Wasn’t rebellion supposed to part of the original doll?

Maybe she would have be still present in the business. 
She put her heart into this record, the album was intented to be sign of her independence. 
As we know, she had enough of everyone telling her what to do. That's when she lost her heart and soul for creating music. :crying1:
That's a shame we lost a chance to see more of Britney's own creativity. Even if the album would have flopped. 

11 minutes ago, Charlotte_the_Harlot said:

Maybe she would have be still present in the business. 
She put her heart into this record, the album was intented to be sign of her independence. 
As we know, she had enough of everyone telling her what to do. That's when she lost her heart and soul for creating music. :crying1:
That's a shame we lost a chance to see more of Britney's own creativity. Even if the album would have flopped. 

Yeah she’s hasn’t given her 100% in anything since circus.. :( 

If it sounded anything like the demos it would have flopped and she would have backtracked for her next album. Since she said her breakdown happened becaus of her personal life and nothing business related it might have happened earlier with a flop album under her belt. OR  the public wouldn't have cared about her as much so the attention would have been less and it wouldn't have gotten as bad.

48 minutes ago, puresin_rg said:

Wasn’t rebellion supposed to part of the original doll?

No... I actually came here to comment that. It was for Blackout, Britney recorded the song in 2006 and posted a snippet on her website that same year.

We don’t actually know much material recorded for The Original Doll except Mona Lisa.

Hi!

I want just to say my opinion about Original Doll. It would be a great album, with new variety of songs and introduce a new style of Britney songs. But like it said before, it wouldn't be successful, it would maybe have the same success as Glory at least but not like In The Zone or Blackout. I don't know, but, the most successful and had an important impact are singles which don't talk too much about Britney life (even if there are always a few elements about it) but are more general, not complex and of course fun/catchy like: Toxic, Womanizer, Work B***h, Scream and Shout, BOMT, OIDIA, and more (there are exceptions like Lucky and Piece Of Me for examples). I don't see how Mona Lisa for example would be successful even with a music video (or maybe would be a temporal hit like Hold It Against Me). Mona Lisa could be an iconic mv for people who like or are interested about Britney.

What if we never had Blackout if Original Doll was released? Like her label would have thought OK Britney, we let you create what you want for once and let you create an edgier and darker album but after we'll go back to the pop music you are known for? I personally don't think her label would have ever allowed Britney to direct two albums in a row.. or two albums ever!  

Britney was starting to flop in the US with My Prerogative & Do Somethin. I think releasing Original Doll as much as we would’ve liked it, would’ve been a commercial flop. I think her breakdown really kept her relevance up there, but at a heavy cost. Blackout would’ve been #1 if it weren’t for those bull**** last minute rules.  She got a couple more #1 albums and 4 more #1 singles. Just my opinion but OD would’ve flopped in some way :yaknow:

23 minutes ago, CrazyButItFeelsAllright said:

Britney was starting to flop in the US with My Prerogative & Do Somethin. I think releasing Original Doll as much as we would’ve liked it, would’ve been a commercial flop. I think her breakdown really kept her relevance up there, but at a heavy cost. Blackout would’ve been #1 if it weren’t for those bull**** last minute rules.  She got a couple more #1 albums and 4 more #1 singles. Just my opinion but OD would’ve flopped in some way :yaknow:

Well...Yes,I too believe her breakdown had one of the biggest impacts in her career which were a one of the big driving force in success of Circus and Femme Fatale..Even though it came with a very big cost... 

Archived