'The Emancipation of Mimi' by Mariah Carey turns 15-years-old

In 2005 on this day. A power was released. 

The emancipation of Mimi. Which Billboard has deemed the most iconic comeback album of all time. At the time Mariah hated the word comeback. But now she agrees. 

She went from being the top act of the 90s. To virtually a joke, A has been overnight and one that critics thought could never see the success she once had.

Then came mimi. And the rest is history. 

Her and JD made music history.

We belong together became the most successful song of the 00s decade. 

Making Mariah historically the only act to have the top Billboard song of the decade in two different decades.

90s One sweet day

00s We belong together.

Her most Grammy nominated album to date. 

10 altogether 7 in 2006. Where she performed fly like a bird (starting an official MC trend end her secular albums with a gospel song) and ended up being the night's only standing ovation.

3 in 2007. Altogether Mariah herself told Barbara Walters that the only Grammys she cared about winning were The R&B ones

She won Best contemporary R&B album, Best R&B song, Best R&B female vocal performance both for we belong together. 

The album has a direct sequel. 2008's E=MC². Which while a success.  Wasn't as successful as The Emancipation of Mimi.

Happy 15 years to the Album that made Mariah the legend she is today.

mimi.jpg

• Love 8
22 minutes ago, Spicechinodiva said:

This is where I say. You are very general public in the taste of MC. Probably an European who hates urban music as most do. 

NNNNNN OMG THIS DRAG aq9Apl8.gif european g@ys really do have the most one-dimensional taste in music aq9Apl8.gifthey think if a song doesn’t have electropop, disco or dance-inspired productions that it’s presumably trash aq9Apl8.gif

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, DignifiedLove said:

NNNNNN OMG THIS DRAG aq9Apl8.gif europeans really do have the most one-dimensional taste in music aq9Apl8.gifthey think if a song doesn’t have electro, disco or dance-inspired productions that it’s presumably trash aq9Apl8.gif

Read La Reid's book sing to me. 

He got fired by Lucian head of UMG US. 

And it was all about refusing to Do a UK/ European remixed album of The emancipation of mimi. 

As Lucian said it was to "Urban" for British audiences.

@JordanMiller La reid was really fired over this. And details it very vividly on sing to me. 

• Like 2

I didn't know this was her comeback album because I was a kid and didn't know much about charts, this album was pure gold! My favourite track was Stay the night and mine againseason mariah GIF

I can't wait for Britneys The Emancipation of Brit Brit, when she sings about breaking out of her conservatorship and how Jaime and Lou are the Tommy Motola in her life. 

britney spears hair flip GIF

• Like 1

Leave a comment!

Not so fast! Did you know you can post now and register later? If you are already a member of Exhale, sign in here and start posting!
If you are not logged in, your post will need to be manually approved by an Exhale moderator before it's visible to everyone.

Tap to reply!

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

We noticed you're using an ad blocker  :ehum_britney_um_unsure_confused_what:

Thanks for visiting Exhale! Your support is greatly appreciated 💜  

Exhale survives through advertising revenue. Please, disable your ad block extension to help us and continue browsing Exhale. 🙏

I've disabled ad block